Nov 28, 2019, 08:19 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Careful!

The Asinine way to sell engines on eBay

Here is an example: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/163385721374?ul_noapp=true

The engine is a Webra 1.7cc. It is a GLOW motor. But... it'll show up in your searches if you're looking for a diesel. Why???. Because the seller peppers his descriptions with as many irrelevant terms as space permits. He also violates eBay's listing practices with search manipulation and misuse of Brand names.. Are you looking for a Taipan, Rossi , Super Tigre, Irvine, Nelson, Bambini or Enya? Fear not. Your results will be cluttered with this Webra and whatever else he is selling. Is the engine you're after an .09 or perhaps a 2.5cc engine? No worries, here's a 1.7cc you aren't interested in. You didn't really want to narrow your search that much. Did you?
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2019, 08:22 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Top Hobby of Walnut, California is another big time seller on eBay who advertises this way.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/toys_tophob...p2047675.l2559

I'm sure there are more
Nov 28, 2019, 09:06 PM
This isn't just engines. Ebay is a dumpster fire due to the way things are listed.
Nov 28, 2019, 09:24 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
I've called eBay and they say they're going to get right on it.
Nov 28, 2019, 09:47 PM
A man with a plan
There's a link you can click to report misleading listings. A couple of years ago I used to browse glow engines frequently, and I made extensive use of the Report link.
Nov 28, 2019, 11:18 PM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
Well, I've done that several times. No luck.
Once, when I called they sort of let the cat out of the bag with there haven't been any other complaints..
Nov 28, 2019, 11:33 PM
A man with a plan
That's standard procedure. I could swear that customer service reps go to a class where they learn to say "you're the only one who has complained."
Nov 29, 2019, 05:58 AM
Best policy is, to never go there.
Nov 29, 2019, 06:35 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Best policy is, to never go there.
On this I'm gonna' have to disagree good man. I've found way too many nice deals over the years. And not just on model plane stuff. I've found machine tooling, metal pieces for machining, uncommon hardware like aluminum screws and tools like odd metric taps, etc... I Always search there first if I only want a one off or small lot. Even then you have to wade through the BS but a little patience can really pay off.

Mike
Nov 29, 2019, 07:01 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
On this I'm gonna' have to disagree good man. I've found way too many nice deals over the years. And not just on model plane stuff. I've found machine tooling, metal pieces for machining, uncommon hardware like aluminum screws and tools like odd metric taps, etc... I Always search there first if I only want a one off or small lot. Even then you have to wade through the BS but a little patience can really pay off.

Mike
I agree, that is an absurd response. Heck I have better luck buying engines on eBay in the last year than on this forum by a LONG shot. I find just as many idiotic ad postings here as on eBay. This forum is actually the last place I look for an engine now. Just like buying used anything. A person needs to research, know what they are doing, exercise caution, and only buy things you are comfortable with in repairing. At least eBay gives better tools for refunds as opposed to this forum.
Nov 29, 2019, 07:02 AM
I have no problem with that.

Not absurd at all, I just don't go there.
Nov 29, 2019, 08:26 AM
That's no big deal. Just like everything in this world you must remember: caeveat emptor.
Nov 29, 2019, 09:34 AM
Thermals, Tom
Thread OP
This isn’t about caveat emptor. It’s about sellers shoving their products in your face when you’re looking for something else. EBay might have the right to do that because it’s their website (like YouTube now showing ads) but not the seller.
Nov 29, 2019, 11:57 AM
A man with a plan
Adding inappropriate search terms violates ebay's policies. When I was reporting spam search terms a couple of years ago I saw a lot of the listings disappear, then reappear with appropriate descriptions. Ebay has a system in place. Maybe they don't enforce it as well as they used to, but based on typical business practices I would expect to get a lot more action from ebay by using their online reporting system than by talking to some doofus on the telephone. Telephone doofi are trained to blow people off. I'm surprised they even publish a phone number.
Nov 29, 2019, 12:59 PM
doofi: pl doofus

That's good!

Quick Reply