This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 28, 2019, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Cutting out and facing Allusive 2.2 flaps

The aileron inner end has a width/chord of 50 mm so I decided to have a constant 50 mm flap chord from the aileron to the fuselage. I used a long straight edge/ruler and placed painters tape “loops” on the bottom to keep the ruler from slipping. Using a new large box cutter I made perpendicular cuts along the ruler’s edge. The 1/16 inch balsa was easy to cut through but the root end had hardwood and I used Zone saw for that. After separation I used a sanding block to lightly sand away any imperfections in my cut. I then used my straight edge to cut away the top of the flap for reflex. Again I used the sanding block to lightly sand away any imperfections.

I used 1/64 inch thick plywood to face the flaps and wing. I cut 4 lengths of ply a little wider than the faces and made sure the bottom hinge edges were straight and true. I used blue painters tape to hinge the facing on to the bottom of the flap. I then used 5 minute epoxy mixed on to scrap paper before smearing it on to the plywood. After closing up the hinged plywood facing I laid it on its edge on my cutting board and cut away the overlapping ply with my box cutter. I then used painters tape to keep the facing up against the white foam and balsa wing sheeting. Total time to cut and face the flaps and wing was about 2 hours.

After leaving the epoxy to harden overnight the next morning I removed all of he blue painters tape that was keeping the ply facing against the balsa wing sheeting. About 5 % of one flap had a void where the ply was was not secured to the wing skin. I will mask off that area and use 5 min epoxy to fill in the void.

I used blue tape for a temporary hing to take these pics.
Last edited by VicT; Nov 28, 2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More info and pics
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply