Dec 18, 2019, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
"I also noted that where the wings join the fuselage, the servo horn on the left side side sticks out just under 2mm more than it does on the right, so there is a slight gap between the wing and the fuselage near the servo horn. It doesn't seem to make any difference in flight though."

On mine, the round tube that the wing dowel goes into was sticking out around 2mm. I filed that flush with the fuselage, and now the wing fits flush with no gap.
Yes, that's probably a good idea. I think you could be right that having the gap can cause problems with the wings falling off.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2019, 06:02 PM
GOT WINGS
I got to try my second flight today with about 55;F(12.8'C) temps and wind under 5 mph. This was after I added a lead weight under the canopy, just taped in the little indentation, bringing the total additional weight to the nose to about 10 grams. Not sure I liked it like that, it may have been too much, causing it to lose too much altitude. I remember you posted that you added 15 grams, I may experiment with different weight amounts to see what feels best.

The wings did not come loose this time, but my landing was a little bit smoother. The landing yesterday was not very hard so now I am wondering if maybe when I was trying to push that left wing in if I might have accidentally partially loosened the wing clip? May still tape the wings in place, I added hing tape to all of the hinges already anyway.

I thought I read on one of the T720 threads that the gyro is mounted on the esc board, but now I am having trouble finding that post. Do you know if that is the case?
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Dec 18, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
I think there is only one board in it, quite large, and that has all the electronics, including gyro, ESC, receiver and some other capabilities as yet unknown.
Dec 19, 2019, 12:58 AM
My T720 hasn't arrived yet, so I can't comment on specifics.
Every flight-controller I've ever seen had all the gyro and accelerometer chips on the same pcb as the processor and the rest of the electronics.
Dec 19, 2019, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
Siriusflyer - Thanks for your kind comments. I have found the wings did fall off on landing very frequently, but never in flight, but I took that as a good thing because it stopped them from breaking. However, if the wing gets stopped too suddenly on landing, the bending forces can cause one of the joining parts to split as I describe above, and I think that's a weakness of the plane. My repair with a skewer has worked just fine, but now I have a different problem, as two servos have stopped working.

The S720 has exactly the same arrangements for holding the wings on, and so far in quite a few flights I have not broken them. Fingers crossed.
I have the S720 and the T720 and had the reverse situation as you. The S720 wings never aligned properly and I ended up breaking the spar hook in it. Since plastic covers the fuselage edge of the wing (and I really don't want to drill through the body) I just ordered replacement wings in hopes that they've sorted it out.

I also kept having the rudder stick, causing multiple crashes that led to this point. A replacement servo was cheap, though. Just waiting for it to come in.

My T720 though... No problems out of the box whatsoever. I do use a slightly larger (450 mAh) battery though, so that probably sets the CG just right.
Dec 20, 2019, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter honey
I have the S720 and the T720 and had the reverse situation as you. The S720 wings never aligned properly and I ended up breaking the spar hook in it. Since plastic covers the fuselage edge of the wing (and I really don't want to drill through the body) I just ordered replacement wings in hopes that they've sorted it out.

I also kept having the rudder stick, causing multiple crashes that led to this point. A replacement servo was cheap, though. Just waiting for it to come in.

My T720 though... No problems out of the box whatsoever. I do use a slightly larger (450 mAh) battery though, so that probably sets the CG just right.
Where did you get your spares? Banggood is not stocking them, although they do have spares for the OMPHobby M2 helicopter.

From looking at the board on the T720, it seems the servo connectors are the same as on many other micro planes, being Molex Picoblade 1.25mm three-pin connectors, so I am hoping other micro servos I have may make good replacements.
Dec 21, 2019, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
Where did you get your spares? Banggood is not stocking them, although they do have spares for the OMPHobby M2 helicopter.

From looking at the board on the T720, it seems the servo connectors are the same as on many other micro planes, being Molex Picoblade 1.25mm three-pin connectors, so I am hoping other micro servos I have may make good replacements.
Here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually sheared off a wing spar on my T720 today because the elevator had separated from the servo, causing me to nose dive at takeoff speed. I'm starting to dislike this design.
Dec 21, 2019, 05:25 PM
GOT WINGS
So far my T720 is flying great. I did finally tape the wings in place before flying it today and the wings stayed in place even when I over shot my landing grass and ran it into a cedar tree. No visible damage though it did actually bounce back a few feet. I adjusted the weight I have under the front of the canopy to about 8 grams instead of 10 grams. Seems to work very well that way. Wind was between calm and maybe 3mph, so a great time for flying. Flying into that light wind, if I cut the motor it would glide hundreds of feet just barely losing altitude. Also looks very level when gliding like that. I am very happy with how this thing flies.
Dec 31, 2019, 02:01 PM
GOT WINGS
A couple of days ago, using the stock battery, I timed a flight at 12 minutes and thought that was very good. I was flying gently and gliding with the motor stopped about half of the time.

I had a 400mah battery that I wanted to use, but I had to remove the original charge circuit, and add a balance plug and a connector to use it and be able to charge it with my balance charger. After changing connectors, that battery weighs about 5 grams more than the stock battery.

So I took out the extra weight in the nose of the T720, put in the 400mah battery, and decided to time the flight. The temperature was about 45'F(7.2C) and the wind varied from 0 to about 5mph. Again I flew gently and was gliding about half of the flight. The plane was flying and gliding so beautifully, that I just kept going. The balance seemed to be really good, sometimes I could start out maybe 100 feet in altitude and glide at least 500 total feet with and against the wind before I would have to use the motor to regain altitude. I timed that flight at 30 minutes and the battery ended up at rest at 3.69 volts per cell. I did not, however, quite make it back to the grassy area I wanted to land on. It was still a smooth landing but got the underside a little dirty and green wheat stained.
Dec 31, 2019, 09:43 PM
Quote:
So far my T720 is flying great. I did finally tape the wings in place before flying it today and the wings stayed in place even when I over shot my landing grass and ran it into a cedar tree. No visible damage though it did actually bounce back a few feet. I adjusted the weight I have under the front of the canopy to about 8 grams instead of 10 grams. Seems to work very well that way. Wind was between calm and maybe 3mph, so a great time for flying. Flying into that light wind, if I cut the motor it would glide hundreds of feet just barely losing altitude. Also looks very level when gliding like that. I am very happy with how this thing flies.
The tip of 1 wing clip has broken off my T720. Tape (or solid rubber band & pins) seems to be the way to go with these. Great otherwise. Nice to see you doing your usual thorough testing on this SF. Will you be trying the add-on sat receiver options?
Jan 01, 2020, 09:16 AM
GOT WINGS
I was actually researching the add-on receiver option a bit yesterday, but not sure yet if I will try it or not.
Jan 09, 2020, 12:52 PM
GOT WINGS
I actually ordered the FHSS receiver from Banggood but may not get it before the end of January. If by then I also have the S720, I may be trying that receiver in it because it looks easier to install in the S720 than the T720.
Jan 09, 2020, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I actually ordered the FHSS receiver from Banggood but may not get it before the end of January. If by then I also have the S720, I may be trying that receiver in it because it looks easier to install in the S720 than the T720.
Yes, access to the flight controller is easier in the S720.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:54 PM
GOT WINGS
I tried sport mode a couple of days ago for the first time. I did manage 1 decent roll, then managed to switch back to beginner mode and save it a few times. Last try I went nose first into the ground, my first crash, and a tail stab came off. I think I was not giving it enough throttle and causing the nose dives. Haven't had a chance to try again.

Tonight I was just checking to make sure everything was working right and noticed there was a lot more movement in the ailerons in beginner mode than in sport mode. That seems wrong to me? Almost seems like it would be easier to roll in beginner mode. Maybe not having it throttled up made a difference?
Jan 19, 2020, 06:57 PM
GOT WINGS
Tried sport mode again several days ago and ended in a crash again, but today with almost no wind and 50'F(10'C) I managed three flights almost completely in sport mode, taking off and landing in beginner mode. Kept it at almost full throttle most of the flight. Managed lots of loops and rolls, even did inverted flying and a knife edge(by accident), and no crashes. Sure seemed to drain the battery a lot faster, but it was fun. Only switched back to beginner mode to save it once on the first flight. Might be nice to have an instructor with a buddy box instead of having to learn everything on my own, might also be nice to have a simulator program.

Quick Reply