Nov 27, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Download

WingWire | 4 axis gcode freeware

Hey everyone,

after building a ardiuno based 4-axis machine earlier this year I realised that there are very few options when it comes to freeware that can create gcode for wings. Since none of the options worked just the way i wanted to I started working on my own. The result can be seen here:

WingWire | Free 4 axis foam cutting gcode software (5 min 37 sec)

Whilst I do not plan to expand the program further as it is very time consuming and it does what I need it to do feel free to discuss possible improvements if you have any, some might be easy to implement and I'll get around to doing so at some point.

Versions
- Fixed export path memory
Last edited by dodo3441; Dec 26, 2019 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2019, 07:57 PM
Wow, very impressive, AND generous of you to share!
Nov 28, 2019, 05:19 AM
Fantastic work. Well done.

Perfect timing for me as I too have just finished a Arduino/Ramps1.4 Hot Wire set-up and had started to look at various designs for the mechanical side of things. Your design fits the bill perfectly!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Re the 3D printed parts. Are you printing these solid or with an infill %?

2. I assume you are connecting the vertical lead screws to the motors with 5mm to 8mm couplers?

Software Suggestion
The only thing that I would like to see added is the ability to include spars where you can define the size/position from either below or from the top of the wing. (Single "U" channel from the bottom of the wing in my case). Ditto 5mm dia hole for servo wires.

Thank you for sharing this.
Nov 28, 2019, 05:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalBoy
Fantastic work. Well done.

Perfect timing for me as I too have just finished a Arduino/Ramps1.4 Hot Wire set-up and had started to look at various designs for the mechanical side of things. Your design fits the bill perfectly!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Re the 3D printed parts. Are you printing these solid or with an infill %?

2. I assume you are connecting the vertical lead screws to the motors with 5mm to 8mm couplers?
1. Petg with 20% Infill I think, or something along those lines.

2. The stepper motors came with integrated lead screws, so there is no coupling.
Nov 28, 2019, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo3441
1. Petg with 20% Infill I think, or something along those lines.

2. The stepper motors came with integrated lead screws, so there is no coupling.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I didnt know you could get Nema17 motors with the lead screw already integrated.

One other thing I meant to ask is how many teeth did you go with on your GT2 drive pulley's?

Thanks
Nov 29, 2019, 04:57 AM

software

hi nice work and thanks for sharing what software are you using to drive your arduino based cutter i am in to cad so if i can help just pm me
Nov 30, 2019, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I didnt know you could get Nema17 motors with the lead screw already integrated.

One other thing I meant to ask is how many teeth did you go with on your GT2 drive pulley's?

Thanks
should be a 16 tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpot
hi nice work and thanks for sharing what software are you using to drive your arduino based cutter i am in to cad so if i can help just pm me
GRBL Hotwire controller
Dec 07, 2019, 05:17 AM
Hi

I've now built your hot wire cutter as per Thingyverse. Looks great and slides a treat. Hoping you can help me with another couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me the step/mm values you ended up using on your horizontal and vertical axis.

2. Once I have carried out the "config.h" change "ALWAYS_DEFAULTS_SETTINGS" to 0, will I be able to thereafter just make any further changes in the Grbl Settings Tab and will they stay the defaults even after closing Grbl or will I have to change the setting each time in the Arduino program and upload the sketch again?

3. Driving the hot wire from the RAMPS board works fine with my smaller bow but my longer bow needs 16-17v 5-6A to get it to the right temperature. (Im currently using a 12v 30A power supply). Can I use a 24v power supply to the Arduino/Ramps board without altering anything? I see there are lots of Youtube vid's showing how to "Upgrade" the Ramps board to allow a 20v power supply and others saying it can handle 20v as is.

Thanks.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:02 AM
24V with Ramps 1.4 questions You can usually run more than 12V into the RAMPS board, BUT you need to beware of the voltage from RAMPS that gets fed into the Arduino Mega.
Dec 08, 2019, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi

I've now built your hot wire cutter as per Thingyverse. Looks great and slides a treat. Hoping you can help me with another couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me the step/mm values you ended up using on your horizontal and vertical axis.

2. Once I have carried out the "config.h" change "ALWAYS_DEFAULTS_SETTINGS" to 0, will I be able to thereafter just make any further changes in the Grbl Settings Tab and will they stay the defaults even after closing Grbl or will I have to change the setting each time in the Arduino program and upload the sketch again?

3. Driving the hot wire from the RAMPS board works fine with my smaller bow but my longer bow needs 16-17v 5-6A to get it to the right temperature. (Im currently using a 12v 30A power supply). Can I use a 24v power supply to the Arduino/Ramps board without altering anything? I see there are lots of Youtube vid's showing how to "Upgrade" the Ramps board to allow a 20v power supply and others saying it can handle 20v as is.

Thanks.
1) my step/mm values: Vertical:400 Horizontal:80

2) 0 = you can change them in the settings tab and they will be saved 1= it will always use the defaults set in the sketch

3) Not sure, I ended up using an external power supply because this maintains the same current regardless of wire lenght. I think I read that some people go up to 48V on ramps but im not sure, take a look at the arduino/ramps1.4 thread.
Dec 11, 2019, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo3441
1) my step/mm values: Vertical:400 Horizontal:80

2) 0 = you can change them in the settings tab and they will be saved 1= it will always use the defaults set in the sketch

3) Not sure, I ended up using an external power supply because this maintains the same current regardless of wire lenght. I think I read that some people go up to 48V on ramps but im not sure, take a look at the arduino/ramps1.4 thread.
Thanks for the info.
Cutter now working well and providing some very nice cuts.

Is there any chance you will at some point in the future update your software to include the ability to include placement/sizing of Spar channels and servo wire holes?
Dec 26, 2019, 05:06 PM
Thread OP

update

version1.01 allows cutting single wings.
( Configure the left wing and gcode for both left and right wings will be generated. )

Quick Reply