Nov 26, 2019, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade 230s v2 or comparable

Looking to buy my first cp heli.

Was looking for something comparable to blade 230s v2 to use with my Taranis xd9 remote.

Preferably a plug n fly version or something that doesn't take much assembly / parts gathering. Want to fly outside.

Something I've also considered is getting the blade 230s v2 combined with a 4 in 1 multi module.

Recommendations please, thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2019, 09:08 PM
Blade 230S v2 is one of the best CP for beginners.

If you have more flying space and deeper pocket, you may also consider the latest 330S or Align 450 RTF /BNF package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 26, 2019, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Assuming 230 is small enough to fly in my yard if desired?

Think it will work ok with my Taranis with module?
Nov 26, 2019, 10:12 PM
TBH I have no experience on Taranis TX. You may try to find info in the 230S v2 thread. Suppose it should work with correct setups and the 4 in 1 module (with Spektrum protocol).

Not sure how big your backyard...but basic hovering and orientation would be OK. I fly my 150S (a bit smaller than 230S, swinging 150mm main blade) in a 30m*60m football field happily but feel a bit limited flying it in a basketball field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 26, 2019, 10:56 PM
How big is your yard? The 230 will fly fine in an acre or even less but if your yard is really small you might consider the new blade 150. Its supposed to be as good a flier as the 230 but smaller and cheaper but still brushless. All blade bind and fly models bind to spektrum compatible tx only. If your Taranis has a spektrum compatible module it should work ok. I was only aware that Futaba had a spektrum module.

I just checked and the frsky multi-protocol module for taranis x-lite radios does claim to support dsm and dsmx so it should work. If you do get a blade heli let us know how the module works. I use spektrum dx6 g3 but am always interested in other products.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Nov 26, 2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: update
Nov 27, 2019, 12:45 AM
I looked at the Taranis x9 litepro and it lists for around $110 and has 24 channel, expandable 60 model memory (microsd card) and has the multi-protocol module support. It sure seems alot more bang for the buck than even a spektrum dx6e which cost around $150. And another multi-protocol module lists support for dsm2 and dsmx among others for around $39. Let us know how it works!
Nov 27, 2019, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
I got .75 acre yard total. It'd probably be a little tight with trees but I suppose I could practice small stuff. There's an open field across street but not sure how I feel about that - I did fly foam airplanes above that field in the past though.

Yeah the new multi modules are really cool, supposedly they can fly just about anything, but I haven't tried yet. The hardware is from China (iRangeX) but the source code is being maintained by a hobbyist. I kinda trust it more for that reason: https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-...ocol-TX-Module

Thanks, I didn't know about the 150s I'll check it out
Last edited by craigrs84; Nov 27, 2019 at 02:05 AM.
Nov 27, 2019, 02:37 PM
--------- ✈
I fly with a friend who has bound a 230s to a QX7 + IRange-X.

I think he found initial setup a bit complex, but part of that was being unfamiliar with helis. I helped him with that part of it. Translating the channel assignments from the manual is how I would do it but people also have posted setups that you can download to your radio, then modify to your preference.

He now flies with a Jumper T16 and that works fine too.

Also, I suggest removing the main and tail blades when first setting up. Then you can go though all of the movements and make sure the heli is doing the right thing without a setup mistake creating a crash.
Nov 27, 2019, 08:30 PM
FWIW, i think the 230V2 is an excellent choice for a first CP. the problem with the larger helis is that they are not only more expensive up front, they are much more expensive to repair. Great second choices but use the 230V2 as the learning tool.
Nov 30, 2019, 07:34 PM

Modifying the Spektrum DX6

I haven't searched the forum to see if this has come up before, but I've found it very difficult to easily place my finger on the DX6 Bind/Panic switch when needed, so I've essentially never used it. But it dawned on me that a better location would be on the left side of the box rather than the top, and it turns out the change was extremely easy to make. I just drilled the appropriate size hole in a location that would clear the trainer/bind button. The wires to the Bind/Panic switch are easily long enough to move an additional inch or so within the box. Some electrician tape across the old hole, and the mod is complete. Tested this earlier today and it works great!
Dec 05, 2019, 01:43 PM
The new blade 150s is cheaper than the 230sv2. The advertisement I saw listed a price of $159 but I paid $189 for mine.

I just got my new blade 150s and flew it twice. It does fly as good as the blade 230s v2 and is made of more rugged components like a carbon fiber frame, metal gear servos, reinforced main blades, and even larger diameter tail boom than the 230. The only problem is that with the recommended 450 mah batteries (that barely fit)flight time was around 4 minutes. I have a pair of 650mah drone batteries with xt30 connectors that are only slightly larger and heavier (30mmx55mmx14mm and 1.53g vs 31mmx59mmx15mm and 1.89g) and decided to see if they would fit in the canopy. After struggling a bit I found success and they did fit. But looking closer I noticed the bottom of the plastic canopy had split with a crack about 1” long. Fortunately, I have a spare canopy (that I was going to paint a high visibility flourescent orange like my 230) and hadn't cut and soldered the xt30 connector yet. That got me thinking that as a long term project to use the split canopy as a model to make a fiberglass plug that I can then add about 5mm length (about the width of 2 quarters) and about 1mm height and width and then use that to make a carbon fiber bulbous nose canopy that fits the 650mah batteries. There is a difference of .36g between batteries but since the tail moment is about 2x longer than the nose moment it should balance the same with .18g more weight to the tail. That will produce a slightly heavier overall weight but should be worth it for the increased flight duration of about 6 minutes. The .54g total weight difference is only .02oz so it will still be easily within the 8oz FAA weight limit. Anyway, its not something I'm going to do overnight but is something I'm thinking of doing over the winter months.
Dec 05, 2019, 03:19 PM
I searched online and couldn't find any carbon fiber cloth so bought some fiberglass cloth to make both the plug and final canopy. Will try to keep the weight down as fiberglass will probably be a bit heavier than stock plastic. I bought both 5oz and 1oz /sq yard glass and plan to use both to make the plug. The final canopy may just be 1oz depending on the weight of my plug. Its been so long since I built a model canopy that I forget what weight of cloth to get.
Dec 06, 2019, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
FWIW, i think the 230V2 is an excellent choice for a first CP. the problem with the larger helis is that they are not only more expensive up front, they are much more expensive to repair. Great second choices but use the 230V2 as the learning tool.
more to repair but less crashes due to loosing sight of smaller heli , for me anyway .
Dec 06, 2019, 09:47 AM
dennis, where do you fly? I am mostly a fixed wing and fly at Prado, but more recently I have gotten back into helis, but I haven't run into too many whirlyguys.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:46 AM
i fly prado on thurs , i have a old white camry and pit by Dale , Mike , Bert , Clive and a few others .

Quick Reply