Jan 09, 2020, 02:43 PM
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jan 10, 2020 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2020, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
It should be noted the no Geo fence canít and wonít last. From June it wonít be able to be sold in EU with out it and while on NPRM there is no specific reference to Geofencing I hear itís coming as part of the technical docs for US as well.

In 2 years or so every single drone will be required to have Geofencing and Remote ID to be sold in the USA and EU. Today you get a pass on that but not for long.

Iv also not actually seen any confirmation on the EU stance on this craft as thatís a safer market right now than the US due to the proposals.

Flying pumpkin lol.
The framework for geofencing is in place for the even current Evo, just not enforced for anything outside China, would only take a software Update to introduce
Jan 10, 2020, 08:11 AM
Autel EVO 2 First Flight | 8K Resolution (7 min 18 sec)
Jan 11, 2020, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Hover Test Comparison - Autel EVO II • EVO I • Mavic 2 Pro (6 min 18 sec)
Jan 11, 2020, 02:39 AM
Thread OP
Autel Robotics CES 2020 Recap (1 min 46 sec)
Jan 11, 2020, 02:44 PM
I don't think dji can recover from this. fact
Jan 11, 2020, 05:43 PM
Considering they are still the industries top 70% in sales it might sting them but unfortunately they will bounce back. They always do.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:06 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

Autel Robotics Evo 2: (under construction)

When is 8K really 8K? Is the Evo 2 really 48MP?

Autel EVO 2 Series Drone 48MP 8K - But Is It Really 8K ? (16 min 19 sec)

Itís apparent Autel have taken a page out of some of the phone manufactures play book with the Evo 2 Standard.

Autel appear to be using the Sony IMX586 Sensor in the Evo 2 Standard and are using the Quad Bayer Filter to achieve this 48MP number.

For those who donít really understand this and donít want to read up basically they are reading each colour site with 4 smaller pixels rather than using one large pixel, this ďtechnicallyĒ allows them to call it a 48MP (4x12MP) sensor as it does actually have that many pixels however itís not got that many colour filters and shares them between 4 of these pixels. The sensor has the same Bayer Filter size overall roughly as the 12MP sensor everyone else is using they have just put 4x as many pixels below it.

Simplest method to think of this is as buckets that collect light, we usually have 4 of them in a square each with its own filter on the top to only allow in the colour we want. a full RGB colour pixel cluster has 1 Red, 1 Blue and 2 Green buckets with filters on the top . The 2 green is for luminance due to the way the human eye sees light. But basically 4 buckets with 4 filters, each only collects the light colour as per its filter. The Quad bayer setup keeps the same 4 filters at the same size but instead they put 4x smaller buckets under each one. While technically there is 4x more buckets their capacity remains the same as they are getting the same light though the same filter.

You basically splitting the same light and detail across 4 buckets rather than 1.

Normally when a sensor increases resolution there are lots more buckets and filters to allow you to capture more but the Quad Bayer simply makes the buckets smaller while keeping the filters the same.

This is a complex subject but the realty is while technically in bright condition and certain a circumstance with processing this setup can produce better results than say the 12MP sensor is based off itís not true 48MP or 8K, itís processed and created. itís also massively limited in others.

This is the reason this model and spec does not make sense, more MP but cheaper than the pro, more than 2x more resolution than any other drone apart from the X7. The realty is this is NOT a 48MP sensors in the sense the Pro model has a 20MP sensor and the Sony A7R3 has a 42MP sensor for instance, itís a ďcheatĒ really Sony made to try and derive more resolution or improved HDR performance on tiny sensors.

The sensor will have two modes of operation generally , one is in this Quad mode and the other will be in the same as a 12MP sensor, hopefully they will give people the option to choose but there is going to be a ton of processing going on here and binning or line skipping in lower resolution modes is extremely likely.

The realty is small sensors just canít provide the kinds of native resolution that is being touted by these, Sony created this to try and get more from them but like the saying goes there is no replacement for displacement and the same goes for sensor size.

A number of phone manufactures pulled the same stunt last year and got pulled apart on it once the phones were tested well and itís likely we will start to see some of the issues with this become apparent once people start to pixel peep. In fact some has already been noticed by some of the reviews spotting lack of detail and noise in the shadows.

Autel are the first to pull this trick in the drone side but are not actually lying, itís marketing play sadly and what is a massive shame is they choose to market it this way as this will change the way manufactures now have to play the game. Up to now every single drone manufacture has played by the same rules on pixel count, actual effective pixels that produce resolution, now this has changed and itís no longer apples for apples and others will likely end up having to follow suite.

For more info on the Quad Bayer see

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_bayer_...news-37459.php

https://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/q...camera-sensor/

With regards to the Evo 2 Pro this looks to be the model to get period, they appear to be using the IMX383 Sensor, this is a true 20MP 1Ē sensor and is the same one used in the RX100Vii, this should produce some great results.

With regards to the other parts of the craft the Ambarella H2 is gone and they are now using HI3559C from HISilicone. Also the FC has has an update and they are using the STM32H743 at 400Mhz. This is the same as the Cube Orange and the other latest STM controller , an interesting point this brings is that this would imply they are not using a PX4 flight stack as I donít believe that supports the H7 yet and is limited to the F7 models. I wonder what flight stack they are using.

Overall the craft internals look decent and no horrible design mistakes spotted, when the Karma released with in 5 minutes all the people who look at this stuff like I do could see some major issues so itís possible to be able to do that from images but this looks as good as it gets with all the right bits in the right places. Power segregated and ESCs kept clear. The overall design is very similar to the Mavic actually.

If your happy with a 12mp sensor on the Mavic or Evo 1 for instance the standard model should be great for you. However donít go into this one expecting it to complete with the Pro or others with larger sensors on detail as it wonít.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jan 11, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Also the FC has has an update and they are using the STM32H743 at 400Mhz. This is the same as the Cube Orange and the other latest STM controller , an interesting point this brings is that this would imply they are not using a PX4 flight stack as I donít believe that supports the H7 yet and is limited to the F7 models. I wonder what flight stack they are using.
There has been a spurt of STM32H7 check ins for PX4 in November (https://github.com/PX4/Firmware/pull/13489/files) so it's at least possible that Autel has created a fork that works well enough for a their specific board. the PX4 stack has a much bigger problem in their hands: they need to support a lot of compatible H7 boards, so their job is harder.

Having used the STM32h743 for a completely unrelated project, there used to be a lot of issues in the STM32-provided HAL that was referred in the past by PX4 developers as a blocker, but in the last few months (and with the release of the Rev V silicon for the STM32H743) those issues seem to have been mostly addressed and the H7 seems to be a pretty reliable chip now (and, incidentally, a beast compared to old STM32F7 chips).
Jan 11, 2020, 09:03 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

Autel Robotics Evo 2: (under construction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
There has been a spurt of STM32H7 check ins for PX4 in November (https://github.com/PX4/Firmware/pull/13489/files) so it's at least possible that Autel has created a fork that works well enough for a their specific board. the PX4 stack has a much bigger problem in their hands: they need to support a lot of compatible H7 boards, so their job is harder.

Having used the STM32h743 for a completely unrelated project, there used to be a lot of issues in the STM32-provided HAL that was referred in the past by PX4 developers as a blocker, but in the last few months (and with the release of the Rev V silicon for the STM32H743) those issues seem to have been mostly addressed and the H7 seems to be a pretty reliable chip now (and, incidentally, a beast compared to old STM32F7 chips).

Yea I did not get a chance to check today on the PX4. Funny enough I checked early Nov my self and it was all stalled so it looks like itís all moved on now, I can see the Holybro is getting put in now.

It is a beast for sure the H. 400Mhz, 2MB ram and Rom. Iv bought PCs in the passed that had less spec lol.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
I remember to everybody that
Carolina Dronz
started to take preorders:
http://bit.ly/AUTEL_EVO_2_Preorder
Last edited by lukappaseidue; Jan 12, 2020 at 04:39 AM.
Jan 12, 2020, 03:54 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
Calling this 8k is basically like calling upscaled 4k "8k". Sure, there are that many photosites, but the resolving power combined with the terrible codec mean it's nowhere NEAR 8k.
Jan 12, 2020, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobirdy
I don't think dji can recover from this. fact
DJI are not the ones doing the recovering. Autel are.

In response DJI will just bring out the Mavic 3
Jan 12, 2020, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkostar
DJI are not the ones doing the recovering. Autel are.

In response DJI will just bring out the Mavic 3
But the Mavic 3 will be GEO Locked. This is the choice DJI is making that is a pain in the ass for some commercial pilots. It is the only reason that I will be buying elsewhere for my future work related aircraft.
Jan 12, 2020, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
But the Mavic 3 will be GEO Locked. This is the choice DJI is making that is a pain in the ass for some commercial pilots. It is the only reason that I will be buying elsewhere for my future work related aircraft.
+ One

Quick Reply