Jan 18, 2020, 06:46 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomb52
With the 8K or 6K you would be able to get great video quality by zooming in using a video editor in post. I believe one of the DroneU videos talked about how well it works .
I find any of the powerful zoom lenses the video gets pretty shaky when zoomed right in any ways.
Good point.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 12:54 PM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
The main problem with the Mavic Pro's is that there has never been anything 'pro' about the video features they have.
And if you look at the specifications for the hardware used, it is mostly software limitations made to not compete with their other more expensive 'pro' solutions.

So if nothing else, it is a good thing that Autel is shaking things up with unrestricted framerates and proper bitrates. This will hopefully force DJI to enable all features in their hardware when they release models.

Ohh.. And you the responsible pilot in charge actually being able to decide when and where you are entitled to fly, is also a big plus..
Jan 19, 2020, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
The main problem with the Mavic Pro's is that there has never been anything 'pro' about the video features they have.
And if you look at the specifications for the hardware used, it is mostly software limitations made to not compete with their other more expensive 'pro' solutions.

So if nothing else, it is a good thing that Autel is shaking things up with unrestricted framerates and proper bitrates. This will hopefully force DJI to enable all features in their hardware when they release models.

Ohh.. And you the responsible pilot in charge actually being able to decide when and where you are entitled to fly, is also a big plus..
Plus 1
Jan 20, 2020, 08:22 AM
ROPE MEHO
Autel EVO 2 Dynamic Track (4 min 47 sec)

Same as skydio?

update:
or fraud??
Last edited by Pero; Jan 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Uscita la nuova APP per Evo II (anche per Evo 1)
In alcuni terminali non viene installata.
New Autel Explorer App released
For EVO II (and also EVO I)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otics.explorer
Last edited by lukappaseidue; Jan 20, 2020 at 09:11 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 04:52 AM

8k storage requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukappaseidue
Thanks! He does a nice job in this video discussing the 'specs' relative to his experience with various DJI drones, as well as other digital camera equipment.

There may be some misperceptions about 8k video storage requirements. I just want to make it clear that it's all about the bitrate. The resolution plays into design decisions relative to bitrate, but it's not necessary to scale bitrate (or storage) linearly with resolution. The same goes for the framerate, or any other recording parameter, short of specifying the output 'quality' -- which can quickly become imperceptible. So recording video at 120Mbps (Evo 2) requires just 20% more storage than recording at 100Mbps (Mavic 2, Evo, X8SE, etc). And as we've discussed, recording at 120Mbps with H.265 equates to 180Mbps with the H.264 codec in terms of output quality.

Regarding internal storage, both the Evo 2 and Mavic 2 include 8GB. So you can expect about 9 minutes at the highest bitrate with the Evo 2, or almost 11 minutes internally with the Mavic 2. If Autel is utilizing VBR (variable bitrate), then that could 'even-the-playing-field' when it comes to storage. But kudos to Autel on the 256GB card support -- even though most of us change memory cards when we change the battery out of an abundance of caution; not to mention that multiple lower-capacity micro-SD cards will often be less expensive than a single 256GB card.

Most would agree that 8k is an 'archiving resolution' which primarily adds flexibility in post-production. I would argue the same for 4k (archival resolution) if it were based solely on our ability to perceive 4k relative to 1080p at typical viewing distances. But the reality is, online distributors such as YouTube treat 4k much differently than 1080p. According to some sources, your 8k 120Mbps masterpiece is re-rendered by YouTube to ~17Mbps at 4k and ~3Mbps at 1080p, using the VP9 codec. No wonder folks can see the difference from their couch between 4k and 1080p when viewing YouTube! It's because YouTube is producing significantly different 'quality' based on upload resolution. This means that 1080p upscaled to 4k will see an increase in playback quality when viewed from YouTube! How crazy is that?
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jan 21, 2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: wording
Jan 21, 2020, 03:23 PM
Dronevalley has links to 8K and 4K footage from the EVO 2.
The 8K info is as follows:

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 906 MiB
Duration : 1 min 1 s
Overall bit rate : 124 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=13
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1 min 1 s
Bit rate : 124 Mb/s
Width : 7 680 pixels
Height : 4 320 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.149
Stream size : 906 MiB (100%)
Title : Autel.Video
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

You can download it from his google drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Fqw4rbQOZap4Ly
Jan 21, 2020, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pero
Color me impressed! I'd like to hear more details but if that can be done at 36mph+ on production models then perhaps some folks will be cancelling their Skydio 2 orders.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jan 21, 2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wording
Jan 21, 2020, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomb52
Dronevalley has links to 8K and 4K footage from the EVO 2.
The 8K info is as follows:

Format : MPEG-4
Overall bit rate : 124 Mb/s
Format : AVC
Width : 7 680 pixels
Height : 4 320 pixels
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Color primaries : BT.709

You can download it from his google drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Fqw4rbQOZap4Ly
Interesting. So he's not taking advantage of the 10-bit color capabilities using the HEVC (H.265) option. At least one YouTuber claims the 8k Evo 2 doesn't even offer 10-bit color depth.
Jan 21, 2020, 06:45 PM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven
I just want to make it clear that it's all about the bitrate. The resolution plays into design decisions relative to bitrate, but it's not necessary to scale bitrate (or storage) linearly with resolution. The same goes for the framerate, or any other recording parameter, short of specifying the output 'quality' -- which can quickly become imperceptible.
Exactly. One thing that almost all video compression algorithms has in common, is that they try to reuse existing image data and only store visual changes between each video frames. And when you increase the frame rate, the result is that on average there will be less motion between each frame. Meaning there is less change, resulting in more efficient compression. So you don't have to double the bitrate when you double to framerate to get the same image quality on average.

The same also applies to some degree with resolution. While higher resolutions obviously results in more data, it also means there is more data (macroblocks) that can be reused when introducing new frames. Generally resulting it better encoding efficiency. Higher resolution (smaller pixels on the monitor) also means that compression artifacts will be less noticeable.

That being said. No consumer/prosumer drone on the marked today has anything even remotely close to professional grade video encoding rates. Don't get me wrong, videos look great and can be used for many things. But with the encoding rates used there is a lot of compression artifacts in drone video that become very apparent when you try to post process them.
Jan 22, 2020, 10:57 AM

Autel Evo 2 4K video

Rick at Drone Valley posted his 4K footage for people to download to see if their rig would be able to handle the large files. Rick has promised 8K footage when he gets the Evo Pro camera.
I use a iPad Pro 2018 with 1TB. I got this one because you get a little extra RAM. The software is Lumafusion and I can tell you that Lumafusion handles 4K footage like it was melted butter. Not one stutter or hiccup, just nice and smooth. So, if anyone is sitting on the fence wanting to get a affordable rig, this might be the one for you.

4K File Test Video V2 (1 min 6 sec)
Jan 22, 2020, 05:50 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff
I confess.
I was in line for 1st release of Skydio 2. Autel Evo 2 pre-release came out. Thought about cancelling the Skydio 2 order, once I got the OK to order.
Saw the Ebay prices they are going for.
Ordered the Skydio 2 and sold it on Ebay.
The Skydio 2 is a phenomenal drone for what it can do. Just Amaze balls. It just isn't for me.

The Autel Evo 2, on the other hand, IS for me, but I really need to see more video output for a final decision. It needs to be clear and sharp, edge to edge...otherwise I will probably not buy it and just keep on using the Evo 1, which has super sharp video, AND 4k/60, and that is what I want. The super long flight time is a killer option. So is the up gradable camera option.

Autel hurry up and start taking orders already.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
I confess.
I was in line for 1st release of Skydio 2. Autel Evo 2 pre-release came out. Thought about cancelling the Skydio 2 order, once I got the OK to order.
The Skydio 2 is a phenomenal drone for what it can do. Just Amaze balls. It just isn't for me.

The Autel Evo 2, on the other hand, IS for me, but I really need to see more video output for a final decision. It needs to be clear and sharp, edge to edge...otherwise I will probably not buy it and just keep on using the Evo 1, which has super sharp video, AND 4k/60, and that is what I want. The super long flight time is a killer option. So is the up gradable camera option.

YouTube wonít let you upload true 4K video so youíre not going to get that sharp image youíre talking about. Iím with you on that statement and the video footage I downloaded is much sharper than what you see on YouTube.
Jan 22, 2020, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
I confess.

Not sure how the Evo 2 will fly but if the Evo 1 is anything to go by, its some of the nuances of the Evo that I dont like compared to a Mavic in its flying characteristics, particularly in high winds, it tends to tilt horizon greatly and if the wind is strong enough, it will lose altitude to gain speed (could end badly). Its documented when flying in Ludicruous mode however it can also occur in regular 33mph and even had it lose 50m or 100ft yesterday when flying in 22mph.

There's also the little issue with the OA sensors limiting the tilt angle which prevents the Evo fighting wind properly, the DJI will disable OA and take on the wind without losing height (assuming at the cost of speed). Disabling the OA in menu is good and all but you need to also disable it with every flight as the setting is lost when you power cycle the drone.

Again these are Evo 1 issues, not sure if they will carry across to Evo 2, hopefully not.

There is however the RC which isn't very ergonomic and becomes top-heavy once a phone is clipped into the top, this issue it seems is being carried over to Evo 2 as they have the same RC
Jan 23, 2020, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1
YouTube wonít let you upload true 4K video so youíre not going to get that sharp image youíre talking about.
What's the difference between 4K video and "true" 4K video? I upload 4K video all the time to You Tube from the EVO, Mavic 2 Pro, and Phantom 4 Pro, and it renders it all out in 4K, and plays it back in 4K on a 4K monitor or TV.

Quick Reply