Thread OP
Carolina Dronz
started to take preorders:
http://bit.ly/AUTEL_EVO_2_Preorder
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2020, 04:43 AM
Thread OP
Jan 08, 2020, 04:49 AM
Autel is certainly raising the bar by quite a bit!

(german) testflight on Iceland:

Autel Evo 2 Review | Die 8K Kamera-Drohne im Test! (18 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Jan 08, 2020 at 08:38 AM.
Jan 08, 2020, 12:58 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff
I am impressed with this offering. The ugly design is growing on me, and the tech in the drone makes up for it IMO. Interchangeable cameras. Brilliant.
Instead of trying to decide between the 8k, or 6k model, you could buy one, then upgrade the camera or downgrade the camera...depending on what you want to do. Great option, so lets hope it works seamlessly.
I never rely on obstacle avoidance actually, but in this model Autel has really stepped up their game.

Long flight time. That means you can buy less batteries, and still get long flight times to get the shots you want.
Autel Evo came out with 4k 60 - Mavic Pro/Platinum and Mavic 2 owners are still waiting for this feature. This is one feature I love about the Evo 1.
4k/60 video is much sharper with less motion blur as compared to 4k/30, but some prefer more motion blur, more cinematic video shot in 4k/30 or 4k/24. I would rather have the option of 4k/60, than not.
Now Autel has 8k/30 and 1" sensor 6k/60 - 4k/120! Wow. Not to mention variable aperture settings. Those options will make for some killer video shots.
Still early to determine video quality, since per-release drones are the ones being tested, but looking good so far. I think we all hope for tack sharp video out of our drones, no matter what you buy, with minimal processing to get it that way.
Concerns about drone ID, tracking BS is a ways off, and lots of things can change in 2 years or more time frame. Anything can be added to the drone, like a small module to accomplish any tracking standards that come out. Lets wait and see.

I am sure DJI will have at least equal or better "specs" on the M3, but because of the issues with their forced flight limitations, DJI is out of the running with me. This is a big issue with a lot of current Autel owners, (as well as DJI owners) and Autel uses this as a selling point. The US government has banned the use of Chinese made drones, and I would assume this includes Autel drones as well. Not sure if any of that will change soon. DJI shot themselves in the foot on this one.

I have a Skydio 2 arriving today, and now with this offering from Autel, looks like I will be going to ebay with it. From the prices that people are selling them for, the profit should help with this large purchase. Although the Skydio 2 looks to be a great drone so far, I don't think it will be right for my flying style.

As always, my opinion is buy the drone that you feel is best for your use/flying style. Now lets see when they are available for order.
Jan 08, 2020, 01:58 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Having looked at more info today itís VERY much looking like the 8K is smoke and mirrors, they appear they are using the IMX586 in the 8K model and they are playing the same marketing game as a few phone manufacturers tried last year and got burned over as itís borderline dishonest imo.

Itís not 8K or True 8K its using Quad Bayer filter and the realty is very different.

Now the 1Ē model on the other hand is looking interesting and appear to be using the IMX383 that is a fantastic stable to start from.
Jan 08, 2020, 02:12 PM
From the vids the Autel rep doesn't deny it. If you're a pro you're going to be wanting the 6K 1" sensor along with aperture control camera.

Evo II 40min flight time is also quite something as well. Wow !

Now given the cameras are interchangeable and the hike between the 8k and 6k model is $300 it would be interesting to see how much the 6k camera standalone itself would cost.
Jan 08, 2020, 02:31 PM
"Smoke and mirrors."
Depends on how you view technology and doing things in different ways with data.

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_bayer_...news-37459.php

Since marketing gets involved, we would all have to agree on what "true 8K" is and go from there.

If I can take Evo 2 8K video, and crop in to 4k frame size and not lose detail, that would be amazing.
Jan 08, 2020, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
"Smoke and mirrors."
Depends on how you view technology and doing things in different ways with data.

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_bayer_...news-37459.php

Since marketing gets involved, we would all have to agree on what "true 8K" is and go from there.

If I can take Evo 2 8K video, and crop in to 4k frame size and not lose detail, that would be amazing.

Itís been pretty much university accepted by any camera review, site or technical overview that itís not apples for apples and 46mp Quad Bayer is not delivering 46mp equivalent of resolution in real world.

Up to now every drone from all manufactures has used the expected method of labelling the sensor output of effective pixels.

The problem with a Quad Bayer is while yes there are 46MP of actual pixels below the filter these are not separate colour sites and they are basically splitting each colour so Into 4, your reading each rather than just once in a bayer grid.

It really is like having 2 sensors in one than doubling the resolution.

Itís still really only 12MP of actual separate usable detail pixels, yes the software will try to create something to give this 8k output however the downsides are noise and lack of detail or MOIR.

In Toms Tech video this can already be seen in the blacks and darks and he also comments on the lack of expected detail.

This should have been marketed for its lossless zoom and low light than really pushing the headline figure.

What I really donít like is this will now muddy the waters for people trying to compare say the EVO 2 to the Anafi, Mavic or Skydio, once this road starts is just messy for all.

The 1Ē sensor model is looking like the only one I would even consider, the look of this thing is a little on steroids but itís growing a little. Itís a dam big battery thatís for sure.
Jan 08, 2020, 03:19 PM
I was just going to use the same term..."apples to apples"

More like apples to oranges, in this case.

We are on the same page.
Jan 08, 2020, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
I was just going to use the same term..."apples to apples"

More like apples to oranges, in this case.

We are on the same page.

I just donít like the water going muddy now but it is what it is.
Jan 08, 2020, 06:06 PM
I think what the “Flying Pumpkin” has going for it boils down to is this on the pro model:
*Aperture adjustability from F2.8-F11
*[email protected]
*40 minute flight time
*No geo fencing (this is a game changer for many).
Jan 08, 2020, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
I think what the ďFlying PumpkinĒ has going for it boils down to is this on the pro model:
*Aperture adjustability from F2.8-F11
*[email protected]
*40 minute flight time
*No geo fencing (this is a game changer for many).

It should be noted the no Geo fence canít and wonít last. From June it wonít be able to be sold in EU with out it and while on NPRM there is no specific reference to Geofencing I hear itís coming as part of the technical docs for US as well.

In 2 years or so every single drone will be required to have Geofencing and Remote ID to be sold in the USA and EU. Today you get a pass on that but not for long.

Iv also not actually seen any confirmation on the EU stance on this craft as thatís a safer market right now than the US due to the proposals.

Flying pumpkin lol.
Jan 08, 2020, 09:34 PM
Proposed in the US, it's only a draft.
This would affect FPV as well, and that industry is dead set against NFZ restrictions and drone ID.
Lets see how this plays out before we say "every single drone will be required to have Geofencing and Remote ID to be sold in the USA..."
Besides, I am sure a device could be retrofitted to any drone with drone ID. NFZ is on most GPS drones and can be easily implemented with a firmware update.

For all we know, the legislation may grandfather in already purchased drones and only apply to new drones sold after a certain date. We just don't know yet.
Jan 08, 2020, 11:14 PM
The props appear to be pretty big, anyone know what size they are?

Quick Reply