Nov 25, 2019, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Buying foam for custom planes

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone here would know.

I'm looking to cut out a flying wing using a 4 axis cnc hot wire cutter.

The airfoil I'm looking to cut is too thick to fit on a 2" thick block of pink EPS foam from Home Depot.

Does anyone know where I can 2.5-3" EPS/epp foam for custom hobby projects, I'm in the US btw.

I've tried contacting rcfoam. com but they've closed since last year.

Thanks for the help guys!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2019, 09:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
You could laminate two sheets together using this hot wire safe foam fusion glue :
https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/028B_...sion_Glue.html
Nov 25, 2019, 09:30 PM
flyin' fool
You could glue two slabs together to get the thickness and then make sure the glue joint is at the very center of the airfoil's cord.

I've hot wired through glue joints, some glues allow it, other's don't. Do some tests of scraps.

I've got 2" slabs of EPP bought when it was affordable and available. Slabs are now almost impossible to find and if you could locate any they would cost you a zillion dollars ...………. plus shipping!!
Nov 26, 2019, 07:51 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Or you could slice up a block of foam into sheets and do a built up wing with ribs.
Nov 26, 2019, 07:55 AM
Ft Lauderdale
I bought 2" EPP here. They now have 2.5" EPP.

http://www.windcatcherrc.com/

Agree, not cheap anymore, but hard to beat EPP for night flyers.... LEDs make EPP glow.
Last edited by Number_6; Nov 26, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Nov 27, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the help, I'll look into these methods starting with windcatcherrc. Then I'll try glueing as a last resort! Thanks again!
Nov 27, 2019, 12:48 PM
3M spray adhesive works great on the pink stuff, and easily cuts with a hot-wire.
Nov 27, 2019, 02:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onray
Thanks for all the help, I'll look into these methods starting with windcatcherrc. Then I'll try glueing as a last resort! Thanks again!
Be aware that the foam from windcatcherrc is EPP , not EPS . EPP is very soft and flexible , and needs to be reinforced in some way .
Nov 29, 2019, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
3M spray adhesive works great on the pink stuff, and easily cuts with a hot-wire.
Do you have a link to a specific product?
Dec 02, 2019, 09:15 PM
Damage is expected
I bet Brett is referring to 3M Spray 77 adhesive. It is the most common spray adhesive I see in the western US. There are variations available too:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4857497&rt=rud
Dec 06, 2019, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
This method works great !!!
You can purchase pink or blue foam( both the same kind of foam) at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes , at reasonable prices.
They also carry the 3M 77 adhesive.
Just laminate 2 inch thick pieces together.
Hot wire cuts right through the 3M77 adhesive
I usually buy my foam from Menards during an 11% off sale.
Menard carries from 1/2 , 3/4, 1 inch, 1 1/2 and 2 inch thick foam.

Just apply the 3M 77 adhesive lightly lightly.

If you want to learn more about building with foam, I recommend this website and his book "Building With Foam" by Keith Sparks.
He's an RCG member

www.parkflyerplastics.com
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Dec 06, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Dec 06, 2019, 08:49 PM
Damage is expected
Ed,

ParkFlyerPlastic website is fritzing as i attempted to order Keith's book. I tried Safari on the Mac and my Android phone. Can you let Keith know or let me know his RCGroups handle and I'll PM him?

Thanks!

Dave W.
Dec 07, 2019, 08:49 AM
treefinder
He's Sparks.

Here's his most recent build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Constellation

Ask him on the thread or send him a PM.
Last edited by springer; Dec 07, 2019 at 08:54 AM.
Dec 07, 2019, 01:05 PM
Damage is expected
Thanks! I found a workaround for the website - the link to the book at the home page does not work for me. I also could not add the book to the cart from the link at the left side of the page.

Workaround: I made an account, navigated to the book from the link at the left of the page and added the book to the cart from there.

Quick Reply