Oct 24, 2020, 05:37 AM
Thread OP
Thank You so very much Taz 101 for the most informative post which will be quite useful for doing the lighting on this Constellation project. Here are more pictures of current construction, on the test empanage , and More sanding to follow!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2020, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
After trimming to rough shape, I'm beginning to install the rear tail block, which I drilled out for the white rear tail light. More carving ,sanding and trust me dust raising is ahead.. Again thanks to take for His most helpful post regarding positioning of the Connie's many lights.
Oct 24, 2020, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
While fitting the tail block I assembled the fuselage, couldn't resist.. I'm certainly glad Phillip Noel the designer of the Sarik Hobbies L-1049 So Constellation designed the fuselage to bolt together in two sections.
Oct 25, 2020, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Today I worked on the fillet between the central fin and fuselage top, it looks rough as it needs sanding once the filler cures. I jigged the fuselage on it's right side in order to start the process of final planking the front fuselage bottom
Oct 25, 2020, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
This evening I was busy progressing on the bottom right fuselage planking; it was very good thing I jigged the fuselage,as I was tempted to skip that procedure, However as I soon found out there were a Lot of stresses on the structure, while applying the individual planks!!
Oct 25, 2020, 09:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Yup, not all balsa bends the same so different sticks put different forces on the fuselage.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Oct 26, 2020, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Yup, not all balsa bends the same so different sticks put different forces on the fuselage.

SteveT.
too funny thank you Steve. I just finished planking vthe lower right fuselage side, I will let the SIG-MENT glue cure and then remove the assembly from the jigging fixture and proceed to plank the remaining side. I found the Lockheed Constellation is to be a fairly difficult job, with those sexy compound complex curves. Well I'm anxiously awaiting the nose retract strut so I can finish up the mechanicalals on the Fuselage and move on wing construction.
Oct 27, 2020, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
I sanded the fillet on the central fin, however before proceeding further with fill and sand, It's apparent to me that some additional research will be needed regarding the joint radious between the central fin and the horizontal stab -- Next I jigged the front section, left side of fuselage, inorder to finish the planking chore. Add note: just watched a new video on the forthcoming Lockheed L-1649 Star liner and in that video appears an excellent video image of the Fuselage/central fin/ so now I have some excellent additional documentation..
Last edited by fastruchard; Oct 27, 2020 at 08:15 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Tonight I finished the planking and proceed to sand it with ,a rubber sanding block loaded with #120 ,and after blowing off the dust I began the process of using SIG-MENT to glue the lightest planks I could find to any Low Spots. I placed an order for some balsa blocks to make the nose cone and for filler blocks on the stab and fins. I have been keeping ba vigil at my mail box waiting for a nose gear strut , in order to complete the retractable nose gear installation. My plan is to wait as long as this Friday and if the nose gear has not arrived then I will proceed with laying out the wing and doing an inventory to see what is needed for the wing construction. I do have the 1/2" Dia aluminum wing tubes.
Oct 29, 2020, 11:56 AM
Looking good my friend!!

SteveT.
Oct 30, 2020, 03:49 PM
Thread OP

Some filling required

A few problem areas did not respond to therapy so I mixed a dry mixture of brown Phenolic micro balloons (manufactured by FiberGlass coatings,Inc. mixed with ZAP Z Poxy finishing resin and skimed out some of the problem areas that persist.. You might notice that I masked around the perimeter of the offending area to avoid the application of un necessary filler and for neatness.
Nov 02, 2020, 02:34 PM
Thread OP

Out board vertical stabilizer detail

I was not sure the out line for the out board fins was true to plan so using the planning, I made a template and checked and found it was not. So using the template I marked along the perimeter and then made one of my sanding blocks (see picture) and proceeded to sand down to the corrected out line. It worked like a charm. I'm also continuing forward on the over all finish shaping the for and aft empanage sections. Careful sanding is the word.
Nov 02, 2020, 06:18 PM
Looks good from Greeley, CO..

SteveT.
Nov 04, 2020, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Interesting Steve since you are from Colorado you probably have to go at least one size up for all of your electric and glow powered aircraft. Well I received a much anticipated package from China containing the much needed nose gear strut! I installed it and the length is just about right and if push comes to shove necessitating a fraction of an inch more length for the strut a simple shim at the retract mount base will surely be the fix. After installing the nose gear ,I have began installation of the necessary filler blocks on the fin and stab. I have the finish sanding well under way and as you can see I'm applying some more filler which as mentioned in previous posts is light weight.At some point soon I need to fabricate some light weight nose gear
doors . Well at this stage I'm looking at an 80" long building surface ,with wings measuring 88" at full span. I think the wing is built in halves so I may be okay. Well today I received the 1/2" x4' Dia. Aluminum wing tube in the mail, so it is time to start the L-1049 Super Constellations wing , for (more) building challenges.
Last edited by fastruchard; Nov 04, 2020 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply