Jul 23, 2021, 03:25 PM
Thread OP

Connie gets her wings

Time for cowl mounting which first required alignment. The only way is to assemble the model and Then align the cowls, so I leveled the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation, my Robart Model Incidence Meter worked well for this. Alignment of the individual cowls is being accomplished by sighting them, starting with propeller clearance. Lastly I will use a pencil to mark the individual cowlings positions, After I have completed the alignment of the individual cowlings. Regarding the cowls I did think 350.00 was a bit pricey however they were custom made, very accurate in out line, And VERY LIGHT in weight. And so it is as soon as my grey Klass Kote epoxy primer arrives I will put a couple coats of the primer on them and they will be ready for painting .
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2021, 01:16 PM
Thread OP

E-mail from Callie Graphics

Just got an e mail from Callie graphics, Callie is working on my TWA graphics presently and will be mailing it to me Friday can't wait! Well yesterday I finished applying the primer and having some grey primer left from my P-47 build so I mixed it up and shot the cowls with it I'm certainly glad I did not shoot the wings, etc because it does Not sand well at all. I will mention that to the owner of Klass Kote, whom I enjoy doing business with.
Jul 29, 2021, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Sanding the finish coat of primer, using 220,320&finished by wet sanding and using #400 ; wet, in preparation for the L-1049's finish coat of paint.
Aug 02, 2021, 06:08 PM
Thread OP

Received TWA graphics that Callie Graphics has on file woops..

Received my TWA graphics from Callie Graphics. Now that I have finally decided on Klass Kote epoxy paints for the finish.
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 02, 2021 at 06:26 PM.
Aug 07, 2021, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
About finished sanding fuselage,wings,cowls ready for paint which I received from Klass Kote
Aug 09, 2021, 04:31 PM
I think they call this 80% done and 90% to go.
Aug 09, 2021, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Forging ahead! I have masked the fuselage for application of silver//aluminum Klass Kote epoxy and starting the masking on the wings for application of the silver//aluminum as well. Frankly the Constellation project has me laid out and totally tired,(see picture #1&#129303 however, unless the unforeseeable occurs She will be finished ,less retract gear doors on or by August 23rd.
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 15, 2021 at 02:05 AM.
Aug 12, 2021, 06:39 PM
Thread OP

Silver//Aluminum applied today and Notes on fiberglass cloth application etc..

The weather cooperated today so I mixed and sprayed the Klass Kote Silver/Aluminum. It came out fairly well , However, my pathetic application of the glass cloth did come back to haunt me in just a couple of places; I say this as I knew better,and was too lazy to go to the store that day and getting a deck of plastic playing cards and SQUEEGEE on the epoxy finishing resin as opposed to brushing it on to glass cloth, and then blotting up the excess with paper towels ,or T paper as I did. I knew better!!
Well moving on---->After the paint has
sufficiently dried/cured, I will mask for the application of white Klass Kote epoxy to the fuselage upper section as well as the tip tanks. The cowls came out kind of nice and they should of ,as I did a Lot of prep work and frankly there were still some minor flaws. In hind sight I believe a 'high build' laquor based primer would of done a better job with regards to surface preparation on the molded glass cowls.
Aug 13, 2021, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
Currently I have been masking for the gray areas on the wings too and bottom, (see photo #4) frankly the silver/ aluminum Klass Kote left a bit of orange peel and during application yesterday was not at all sure not what the cause was , which I figured out today: it was because I mixed the two part epoxy color paint and did not let it set for 1/2-1 hour which is Not required for the Klass Kote FAST white primer, or maybe water in the compressor ,and then thinking, it was the air tanks fault,however it was not very humid yesterday when I applied the silver/aluminum, so I was not really sure but quite in happy😵as it turns out, I (blew it and did not give the Klass Kote 30-40 minutes to induct. (see photogaph #1 ) Geezzzz I must be getting old and senile as it has been a comedy of errors with this project. So final analysis for the screwed silver application of the silver /aluminum , was Not allowing the paint to induct! ALL this be cause the White primer Fast DOES NOT NEED ANY TIME TO INDUCT, and I assumed the same for the Klass Kote paint---HOW NICE. Over all however, the silver/aluminum is not too bad and figure the Klass Kote clear coat will saved having to re paint the silver/ aluminum areas,by application of a thinned coat of Klass Kote clear.
Aug 14, 2021, 04:22 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage masked for the Klass Kote white.

Fuselage now masked for the Klass Kote white as well.
Aug 15, 2021, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
The weather has been very active lately so after checking the weather radar I decided to make a go with the spray application of the Klass Kote white, so after mixing up the white and the gloss hardner, I let the mixture induct(react)for 40 minutes per instructions and then added aproxinatly 40% Klass Kote reducer and shook well, loaded it in my HLVP gun and proceeded to apply the finish coat of white to the fuselage as well as the wing tanks. The job went very well. Next up is the application of Klass Kote grey to various masked sections on the wings.
Aug 16, 2021, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
With the response here on rcgroups.com , I have begun to wonder why so little response to Any of my posts during this Lockheed Constellation build which is now just about finished--- I had planned on starting a from the ground up Douglas DC-8 Super 62 build , however there has been such a limited response during this 'step by step' build over the last year, that I have come to think my limited build time (I'm closing in on 70 years of age, would be time better spent building the projected E.D.F. fan DC-8, instead of posting another 'step by step ' Well here is a picture of the Lockheed fuselage as it beats completion. End note the side passanger windows Did come out better than expected and that's a plus for this project.
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 16, 2021 at 07:15 AM.
Aug 16, 2021, 01:57 PM

re The Connie

I,for one have been following this build since first post. Thanks for the diligence! Looking forward to the maiden

Ray
Aug 16, 2021, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarlock
I,for one have been following this build since first post. Thanks for the diligence! Looking forward to the maiden

Ray
Thank you Ray.
Aug 16, 2021, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
I only had the gray left to spray, was kind of tired and had planned to finish the major painting in the next day or two, However a look at the weather forecast showed rain on the agenda for the next several days, do, seeing some Sun peeking out of the clouds and only having just a few bits leftvtovspray ,I went for it! The gray turned out pretty well and a clear coat is always a possibility for a glossier finish as well as the fact that it is always a good idea to top coat the graphics for protection.
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 16, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply