Nov 25, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kyosho Help

I found my very first RC from when I was younger while cleaning out my fatherís basement. I know itís a Kyosho Raider but my father modified it to a 2wd truck. It has the Le Mans Stock 05 motor still in it. Iíve been searching off and on today trying find specs on the motor for the shaft diameter so I can get some updated parts for it. Does anyone have any specs for this motor. Also, does Kyosho still make parts for the Raider? I could not find an exploded view/parts list.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2019, 12:40 PM
Kyosho made a truck version of the Raider called Outlaw Raider. Raiders were made in the late 80's to early 90's. The manual for most vintage Kyosho cars can be found here: http://www.dirt-burners.com/rcdox/?d...tric%20powered

The Raider Pro manual can be found here (uploaded by me): http://www.dirt-burners.com/rcdox_uploads/

The Le Mans Stock 05 is a mornal 540 variant with a 1/8" (3,175 mm) shaft. All vintage rc car motors have this shaft size, with very feew exceptions.
Nov 25, 2019, 01:08 PM
Its also mandatory for people with vintage rc cars to post pictures
Nov 25, 2019, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the response and information.
Nov 25, 2019, 04:21 PM
That looks complete , even still has that vintage dirt on it , looking at the body mounts that was not the truck version originally , your best bet for parts will be eBay , new old stock turns up regularly or the alternative would be to buy a wreck and use it for parts ,Kyosho will have stopped making spares a long time ago and they have not re-releasded this one .
Nov 25, 2019, 06:00 PM
Thread OP
I was pretty sure it was originally the buggy. Guess eBay will have to do them. I appreciate all the info guys. I’ll post pictures as I go along with the rebuild.
Nov 26, 2019, 01:32 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Welcome, and this car looks pretty decent for it's age. A few years ago I rebuilt a Raider as car for our kid. It's possible to make the simple spring shocks act more like oil filled ones. There is some stuff called friction grease. I learned it from Losi Micro T hop ups, on that scale oil dampers are pretty fiddly. Basically the friction grease gets applied to the metal rod, where it enters the shock body, and it dampens the movement. The key is to find the right amount of it. Too much and the shock becomes too stiff. Usually a very light coat is enough to dampen the shock movement, without adding too much resistance. If done correctly, the car will be much less bouncy, and hold better contact with the road.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 26, 2019, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
I’ve been searching a lot for parts today and I came across an original clear raider body. So I have decided to make this back into a buggy with updated electronics. I’m still having trouble finding front 2.2 wheels that are made for bearings rather than a hex shape hub.
Nov 27, 2019, 01:29 AM
I think the re released Kyosho scorpion turbo has 2.2 wheels with bearings , those should be easy enough to find .
Nov 27, 2019, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Go idea dadio! The Ultima has the same wheels on Kyosho’s website and at a decent price. Next to find some good tires to run.
Jan 21, 2020, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
Slowly getting this rebuild started. I ordered new bearings and inspected/cleaned the gears in the gear box. Since this gearbox isn't a sealed unit what kind of grease /oil should I use?
Jan 22, 2020, 03:11 AM
Most grease is OK but I'd steer away from mineral based greases as they can affect old plastics , a white lithium grease is what I use ,you can get it in a spay can or a molybdenum grease would also be fine . is there no cover for the gearbox ? Or did you just leave it off for the pictures ? If there is no cover I'd leave it totally dry of oil or grease otherwise any dust or grit just combines with the grease to make grinding paste , I'd also be looking at making a cover if it mine .
Jan 22, 2020, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
I have the cover for the gearbox, just left it off till I had a chance to grease it. Thanks for the response.
Jan 22, 2020, 10:05 PM
A Radier was my first real RC car. I love it that your Dad found it and left his mark on it. I would find a Raider Pro on eBay (there was one on there recently) and swap the goodies from it to your old guy (bearings, oil filled shocks), and swap your Dad'd mods to it! Anyways, super cool! I was defiantly tempted to grab another Raider, since that's how my collection started years ago. But my dream car to rebuy is the Maxxum FF I raced with, until it got banned.
Jan 23, 2020, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
I'm having trouble finding oil filled shocks that will fit the raider.

Quick Reply