Nov 28, 2019, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Pretty much impossible to keep a thread on topic around here. Seems like many of the guys would rather talk about anything except RC helis
I have to agree with you and the reason why I do not spend that much time here these days.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2019, 02:11 PM
UK 550/600 Tarot distributor
Thread OP
So an update on progress:

Motor was sent away to SlowFlyWorld in Germany for re-winding. These are the guys who hand wind all of the Kontronik 'Competition' series motors, and also do many of the custom wound motors used in top speed helis. I went for a relatively high 560Kv winding. It will be run on a 14S battery setup. Buying 7S packs (two in series make 14S) is not easy due to shipping regs. I ended up buying 3S and 4S packs which I'll join myself to make 7S packs (this is today's job). I got a 15t pinion from Henseleit which should give good RPM for 3D flying with my motor/battery combo. Speed flying uses crazy high RPM, which this setup could deliver with the right gearing, but hardcore speed flying doesnt really interest me.

My Spirit Pro is installed and the heli is setup. Maiden flight is just waiting on the motor to come back from Germany. it was shipped before Christmas but seems to have got stuck in the Christmas post backlog
Dec 29, 2019, 07:41 PM

Henseleit TDR-2

At least itís on its way...

Many of us would never ever hear about TDR, not to mention flying one. But I think those who had a peep on it would never forget it.

Look forward to see its maiden flight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dec 30, 2019, 09:56 AM
rc user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Buying 7S packs (two in series make 14S) is not easy due to shipping regs. I ended up buying 3S and 4S packs which I'll join myself to make 7S packs (this is today's job).
some deals on ebay, at least here in the US, not sure what UK ebay has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G7-7S-5000m...0AAOSwkdld6K0l
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G7-7S-5000m...MAAOSwnGld6K0n
Dec 30, 2019, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
some deals on ebay, at least here in the US, not sure what UK ebay has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G7-7S-5000m...0AAOSwkdld6K0l
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G7-7S-5000m...MAAOSwnGld6K0n
Much harder to find in the UK. I've got all six packs made up now. I'll do a 'build thread' for how i did the batteries
Jan 02, 2020, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
maiden flight pics, heli survived in one piece

I tried to shoot a video but the battery on my head cam died as soon as I turned it on.
Jan 02, 2020, 03:03 PM
rc user
maybe it's just the small profile frame. but those packs look massive strapped on the front.
Jan 02, 2020, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
maybe it's just the small profile frame. but those packs look massive strapped on the front.
It's a Henseleit thing bro.
Jan 02, 2020, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
yeah, the batteries look big because the frame is so compact. The frame on the TDR2 was deliberately engineered to be as compact and narrow as possible so as to get the most streamlined canopy possible for speed flying.
Jan 02, 2020, 06:48 PM
Congrats on the maiden flight!

And...you will find a way to fly it with canopy on right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan 03, 2020, 06:51 AM
I appreciate the quality and mechanical design but the aesthetic appeal is simply not there
Jan 03, 2020, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
I appreciate the quality and mechanical design but the aesthetic appeal is simply not there
It's in the eye of the beholder. I wasn't a great fan at first but when you get to know the heli the style really growns on you (or it did for me). It's also one of those helis that you really have to see in real life to appreciate. Henseleit always has ploughed his own furrow when it comes to heli design. Being so different from the norm they do take a bit of getting used to.

The only real weakness I've found so far is the landing gear, which is a bit fragile for what is not a lightweight heli. Its fine if you do decent landings but that first 'scary' flight I had when the RPM was through the roof and the tail was wagging like crazy, I had to 'dump down' and it cracked one of legs. It's now got a temporary repair in place until my spares arrive. I do of course have the retractable gear to try, which is much thicker carbon, so might be stronger.

PS.. If you are going to Helifest at Weston Park this year I'll bring it along so you can judge for yourself. ScotiaRC.co.uk will have a stand this year, shared with Tarot RC... So I can do you a deal on a nice new tarot 550/600
Jan 03, 2020, 08:09 AM
I might well see you there - I have it penciled in
Jan 03, 2020, 09:37 AM
Steve - sorry that it's off topic, but I can't navigate around your ScotiaRC site at all, I only ever get the index page
Jan 03, 2020, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Steve - sorry that it's off topic, but I can't navigate around your ScotiaRC site at all, I only ever get the index page
It's a work in progress. Still a bunch of setup to do before it's anything like fully functional.

Quick Reply