Nov 23, 2019, 10:54 PM
Trader Rating: 168
Village Wizard
Thread OP
Rant

How many others are disappointed with the USPS quite often?

I have been bagging quite a few items around here. Most are shipped via USPS either by First Class, Retail Ground or Priority. RARELY do they ever get to me 'on time' and quite often it is late a few days to a week.

The problems don't happen once in Texas, strangely enough. ?? Usually, it is lack of scanning, just sitting somewhere or sending to somewhere far away first. I've had a package coming from Washington state go to Alaska first then down to me in Texas. Just now I have a kit on the way from a gentleman in Brighton CO. He mailed it (and another I bought), Retail Ground, on the 14th, due to me on the 20th. I got one kit on the 19th, but the other managed to sit in Denver from the 16th to finally arriving in Dallas the 23rd (today) and it wasn't scanned leaving Denver. And they wonder why they can't turn a profit!?!?

Anyone else out there having problems like this? I mean you pay through the nose for their 'service' and then you don't get it. The only thing they guarantee is Priority Express, everything else they just shrug and say 'oh well, we tried'...what horse hockey that is!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2019, 11:09 PM
Trader Rating: 22
Seems (to me anyway) that everything that goes through Denver sits there for a while.
Nov 23, 2019, 11:18 PM
Trader Rating: 3
Old new guy
I get packages via USPS a LOT, and have been very satisfied.
Nov 24, 2019, 12:48 AM
Trader Rating: 742
I ship USPS and receive it all the time! With the few exceptions over the years I think the do well!
Nov 24, 2019, 06:37 AM
Trader Rating: 170
Bayou_City_Boy
I had a package go all the way over to Hawaii and back before it got to me!

Overall I'm fairly satisfied. But there are a few times that we have some issues. They don't always scan them on time.

I've had packages arrived to the buyer before the package was never scanned into the system.

I just signed up for FedEx SmartPost. I know that when I use smart post on eBay for large heavy items it's much cheaper than the post office. I'll start using it this week and see what happens.

Usually on eBay when I have a package that is $60 thru the post office, it's around $45 for FedEx SmartPost. FedEx SmartPost actually uses the post office to deliver the package in the end.

FedEx delivers a package to the city destination and then turns it over to the post office who delivers it to the customer.

You can't just go to FedEx and use Smart Post on your own. You have to have an account. Then you have to apply for it. It is pretty easy.

I have a large kit that I need to ship Monday so we'll see if it works out better than the post office.
Latest blog entry: Recovery Update
Nov 25, 2019, 06:34 PM
Trader Rating: 187
And You're Not
I can't remember ever not getting a bill in the mail.
Nov 25, 2019, 08:30 PM
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_city_boy

I just signed up for FedEx SmartPost. ...
I use Smartpost on eBay sales fairly often. Using eBay's shipping it is usually cheaper than either USPS Parcel Select or Fed Ex Home Delivery. It often takes longer than either of those services though, and sometimes it will sit at a USPS sorting center for a day or two before being sent on to the recipient's local post office. What I do like about it though is that it is initially tracked by FedEx, and my local post office has recently become very lax about scanning in packages.

A couple months ago I had two Priority packages picked up from my house, and my lazy postal carrier did not scan either one as being picked up. One package was scanned in by my post office as being accepted, but the other package was never scanned, ever. I checked for a scan several times over the next month, but nothing. The only thing I had was my online receipt for purchasing postage. As this was an eBay sale I had proof of the value of the item though (nearly $100), so I filed an insurance claim with the post office. Much to my surprise they honored it and sent me a check a week or so later. I think I was lucky, and that it easily could have gone either way.
Nov 25, 2019, 08:47 PM
Trader Rating: 152
Build a scale plane already!!!
All three have the same issues,, aka human mistakes and computer glitches once in a while

I just pic the one with the best price
Nov 25, 2019, 09:38 PM
Trader Rating: 73
USPS almost always works well. My only gripe is that Priority Mail is a best effort, not a guarantee.
Nov 25, 2019, 11:07 PM
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
All three have the same issues,, aka human mistakes and computer glitches once in a while

I just pic the one with the best price
It only the major shipping services were even close in their tracking consistency.

With over 20 years of online selling and shipping, I have found FedEx's tracking to be flawless, while errors with USPS tracking are commonplace. I once mailed a $700 eBay sale item by USPS Priority, no extra insurance, but with online verifiable Signature Confirmation. No signature was collected by the postal carrier, nor was the item even scanned as having been delivered. All that the tracking showed was that the item reached the recipient's post office and that it was out for delivery. Even though I had paid for it, no signature was ever recorded. I wasn't about to ask the buyer if he had gotten the item, but a few days later he left me feedback that he was happy with his purchase, which was a huge relief to me. It is not at all uncommon with the USPS to have an item delivered but not scanned as such, let alone receiving consistent scans all the way to delivery. I don't think my experiences with FedEx versus the USPS are unique. It's been years since I have used UPS, so I can't comment on them from recent experience, but I never had any problems when I was using them.
Nov 26, 2019, 12:22 AM
Trader Rating: 147
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
USPS almost always works well. My only gripe is that Priority Mail is a best effort, not a guarantee.
Out of the "Big Three" the USPS seems to be the most inconsistent...at least nationally. I agree that Priority Mail can be an escalated cost for an unguaranteed faster delivery, and when they fail to meet a delivery objective they just shrug their shoulders and won't even consider any obligation. That's what their out-sourced customer service will tell you. My local Post Office does really care about their service. If there is a problem with a delivery I find them very accommodating in resolving it.
Nov 26, 2019, 05:37 AM
Trader Rating: 34
Rain, sleet, or snow, I get my packages here in FL in a reasonable amount of time.
Nov 26, 2019, 12:24 PM
Trader Rating: 236
Old newb
I, as a rule, have the post office “accept” my packages, which means they scan it into the system, right at the counter.

That way we are all on the same page from the start.

What happens after that is on their dime.

I usually go to my nearby huge central distribution warehouse which seems to to a better job and is faster since I skip a delay or two by going there. I am lucky in that little way, unlike many.

I too have had packages in orbit. Some saying “delayed,” or just show up, too.

I do wonder what happens to things like letters that get lost going across town, as recently happened to me.

And what are they doing with all the packages that never seem to reach their destinations?????

Inquiring minds......
Nov 26, 2019, 12:37 PM
Trader Rating: 111
AMA 937634
USPS is far more reliable in certain parts of country than other shipping methods. If you ship priority to Alaska for example, the package goes on the passenger planes baggage hold. If you ship media rate to Alaska it goes by barge.

Don't forget that the weather has a lot to do with how fast your package arrives. A storm in Nashville will delay packages on the West coast depending on where there are coming from.

-Mike
Nov 26, 2019, 02:20 PM
Trader Rating: 76
W4BYE, FAA 107 Certified
I've had real good luck with usps, I find there tracking to be pretty good. I'd say I'm pleased except the prices could be lower.

Quick Reply