Nov 22, 2019, 12:41 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP
Discussion

Flite Test Master Build Corsair 1168mm wingspan

I can't find any discussion dedicated to the Flite Test series of Master Builds so I decided to start one here. I bought the FT MB Corsair. After having problems getting airborne hand-tossing mine, I decided to add retracts. I also saw a YT video of pilot, cabmantim making the wing removable. So I did that too.

Flite Test Master Series Corsair Olathe Mods. (10 min 58 sec)

Pilot cabmantim's video

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Flite Test Corsair, Master Build series, is available for $49.99.

You can scroll down the page linked above for the BUILD VIDEO, or watch it below.

How to Build the FT Corsair - Master Series // BUILD (2 hr 37 min 4 sec)

Flite Test Master Build Corsair build video
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 24, 2019 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2019, 12:46 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Flights of my FT MB Corsair

Video 1 shows the removable wing and how easy it is to place the battery with the wing removed. Thanks cabmantim. I also copied cabmantim's idea of the dowel across the wing's leading edge (LE). My dowel was a little too big I think.

I am using the AR636 RETAIL version for a Rx. I used the SPMA3065 programming cable to edit a Spitfire SPM file, which is also attached. I am currently using a Y-harness for the ailerons but may use separate ailerons in the future for flaperons. So far I am amazed at how slow the Corsair can fly so flaperons may not be added. We'll see. If you want flaperons, I've attached a MS Word document for setting it up using an AR636 Rx.

I also placed the aileron servo arms slightly forward of center (mechanical differential) to counter the adverse yaw. If needed, you can use Tx differential if it's in your Tx program. Setting it up mechanically is easy enough.

These first flights were with a 70A ESC. Below are some static thrust done with a 50A and a 60A ESC.

When I uploaded the videos, I thought I had the order right, but apparently they are not in any order or right per the YouTube titles.
Don

Flitetest Corsair, Master Build series, flown 2019 Nov 21 using 4S; Prep before flight (1 min 6 sec)
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Nov 22, 2019, 01:02 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

More Flights of my FT MB Corsair

I used a 3S 2200mAh LiPo on 1 flight - the other flights were using 4S 2200mAh LiPos. On the landing, the struts and tires rotated causing the noseover. I had put flats on the strut connecting pin but didn't realize the rotating ring below the struts also have grub screws that must also be tight. After tightening those screws, the following 4 flights went well without the struts twisting.

If you plan to use a 4S LiPo, having the wing removeable really helps.

Flitetest Corsair, Master Build series, flown 2019 Nov 21 using 2200mAh 3S; Flt 1 (6 min 48 sec)

Flitetest Corsair, Master Build series, flown 2019 Nov 21 using 2200mAh 4S; Flt 3 (6 min 51 sec)

Flitetest Corsair, Master Build series, flown 2019 Nov 21 using 2200mAh 4S; another flt (2 min 57 sec)
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM.
Nov 22, 2019, 01:21 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Retract pics on the Flite Test Master Build Corsair

Here are some pics building the stock version, the rebuild (after a crash) and the 3rd retract version of my FT Corsair.

The retracts are these ALL-METAL RETRACTS, SKU: 107000194 for $43.02. They sit at 100 degrees so they help with noseovers. The tires are a little small but can work on short grass with enough UP ELE on takeoff.

I butchered the wing spars before getting the retracts straight. But they work well.

I highly recommend using the kit pieces as templates for cutting out parts using Dollar Tree foam.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Nov 22, 2019, 01:22 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Download the FREE plans

You can DOWNLOAD THE FREE PLANS HERE.

This is the third Flite Test airplane I've built. I went a little overboard with the retracts but they weren't doing any good in the box. The stock one is a really good flyer, very stable, light and easy to fly. It makes a good park flyer but I found it hard to launch without help. I plan to build another stock version before next flying season. But I will only take it to fly when I know someone will be there to launch it for me. I've launched other models but the wingspan on this one is more than what I'm used to. I did fine with the boomerang toss for the first dozen times but then hit a spell where it would crash within 5 seconds after launch. It's also why I used the AR636 Rx. It will help maintain level flight on a hand toss. But this retract model doesn't need it. I'll probably switch it to the next one I build and put a Lemon-Rx.com model in this one.

Remember, if you need spare parts, the kit parts make good templates. You can download the plans, which I did with the Storch. But it was about $20 to print them at Kinkos. Parts can be traced on Dollar Tree foam, and then cut out with a razor very easily.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:55 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Painting Dollar Tree foam

I used the Rustoleum brand to paint my first Corsair stock version. I thought I'd save some money on paint by buying the Ace Hardware brand but took it back after seeing it splatter rather than spraying. The Rustoleum brand rattle cans are fine on the Dollar Tree foam paper, but it will eat exposed foam. You can coat the edges with hot glue using their spreading technique but it does add weight. But I think it's worth it if you don't want the edges looking ragged.

I wanted to make sure the retracts would work before painting that version. I'll be painting once we have some warm weather. I will also be using cabmantim's idea of using transparent colored tape where possible. Thanks Tim.

Be sure you're using new, sharp razors when cutting.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 05:07 AM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Flite Test Corsair Static test

SETUP: Battery was fully charged showing 16.72V

1) QT Brand 3-Blade Prop 9x6 (9060), from Banggood

2) 3136 KV1230 BL Motor: Super EZ V2 FMMPZ103

3a) Test 1 - 23 Nov 2019 Hobbywing Skywalker 50A ESC w/5A/5V BEC Rated for 2-6S,
3b) Test 2 - 24 Nov 2019 SKY 60A ESC w/6A/5V BEC Rated for 2-6S,

4) Battery ChinaHobbyLine LiPo 4S 2200mAh 55C

----- Watts ------ Amps ------ Lowest Volts --
----- 835.6 -------- 53.16 ---------- 15.55 --
Test 1 - 23 Nov 2019 50A ESC
----- 864.5 -------- 54.82 ---------- 15.60 -- Test 2 - 24 Nov 2019 60A ESC

The CHL battery used for the static test was received after I wrote CHL about the failure of 1 cell in the first 2200mAh 4S battery received from them. After 6 flights, battery had a cell that would drop below 3.0V by the end of a flight. It would quickly come back on a charge to normal levels. It weighs 273.2g. Battery #2 weighs 256.6g.

The 50A ESC will go in a second FT Master Build Corsair with a new DYS D2836 1120Kv 2-4S BL motor . It will not have retracts and will use a QT Brand 3-Blade Prop 8x6 (8060). Since it will land on its belly, a smaller diameter prop should lessen the chances of breaking the prop. A 2-blade prop would be even better for saving the prop but I really like the looks of a 3-blade prop on my Corsairs.
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 03:11 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 05:31 AM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Mods to FT MB Corsair

Here are some mods I thought would improve the model. Some are from others that have built the model such as Tim. Others are due to having different parts than the FT parts.

1) Removeable wing - easier to place batteries in the tray (cabmantim's idea); My wing uses rubber bands in the front and popsicle sticks at the rear to hold the wing on.

2) Cooling ports on fore and aft motor mount bulkheads - hopefully will help keep ESC and motor cooler

3) Shortened motor mount - easier to place battery in tray, but need to see if really needed with removeable wing

4) Shortened battery tray - same as #3 mod

5) Balsa reinforced front fuselage - stronger fuselage with less flexing (cabmantim's idea)

6) Longer pushrod guides - stiffer guides with less flexing

7) Longer plastic vs wood control horns - less chance of rod rubbing on lower wing surface

8) Mounting aileron servos horizontally rather than vertically - 2 pieces of foam under servo and cutout provide better support & easier to mount

9) Wooden dowel across wing's leading edge - rounder LE for better aerodynamics and stronger wing (cabmantim's idea)

Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 05:59 AM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Retracts mod

As mentioned earlier, the retracts were added, 1 - because I almost destroyed the plane hand launching it, and 2 - because I already had the perfect size all-metal retracts bought from HobbyKing years ago.

They were a pain to get mounted properly but now after a dozen or so flights, I'm very happy with their performance. I almost destroyed the plywood spars getting the retracts level and mounted properly fore and aft. Too far back and the wheels would be above the wing top surface. Too far forward and the retract housing would be above the wing surface.

Getting the angle right on the lowest point of the wing spar was tough. A millimeter too high on one side translates to several degrees of inboard or outboard tilt of the wheels.

The EMPTY weight of the plane is 1077.3g, 2.25lbs. I will compare the weight of the retract version versus the standard belly landing version eventually, once both are complete.
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 06:11 AM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Total weight of Flite Test Master Build Corsair, including the retracts 1077.3g

The total EMPTY weight of my Flite Test Master Build Corsair including the retracts is 1077.3g (2.25 lbs). Covering/decals will add a little more weight.

The fuselage with all electronics is 513.3g. The wing and belly pan weight 564g.
Last edited by hifinsword; Nov 25, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
Nov 24, 2019, 12:32 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Electrical components used

BL Motor - Super EZ V2 3136 KV1230, Part # FMMPZ103 ($19.99)
I had used the Flite Test "Radial" 2218B 1180kV BL Motor when the model was without retracts. That motor got hot on 4S and a 9x6x3 prop. The FMS 3136 motor did not get hot until run immediately for its 4th flight after the 3rd flight of the day.

Servos - 9g metal gear servos
The aileron servos are Tower Pro, but the elevator and rudder were miscellaneous 9g MG servos from previous projects.

Prop - The static tests using the 9x6x3 prop indicates I need at least a 60A ESC. The first flights were flown using an Sky Power (HURC) 60A ESC w/5V/6A BEC. It was flown in another plane and had 48 fights in that plane. A 50A ESC could probably handle the load since it will unload below 50A inflight but I like more overhead.

Rx - The AR636 is the current Rx and will remain for the foreseeable future. I may switch to a 7Ch Lemon-Rx.com Rx at some point. The props used on this model have been the 9x6x3.

Tx - DX18
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:52 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Flite Test Corsair Master Build #2

I built a second FT Corsair with my grandson. This one does not have retracts but does have a removeable wing. It was built using Dollar Tree foam. The waterproof/resistant foam pieces are still intact as templates if needed.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) Two rubber bands are needed to hold the wing on. On the second flight, the wing came off and floated away while the fuselage made like a dart. The fuselage was rebuilt but now needs a new covering, maybe balsa?

2) You need a strong 22xx motor if you go want to use a 22xx size motor. This one has a DYS D2836 1120Kv 2-4S BL motor. The motor's rear holes for mounting fits the 16x19mm holes of the FT plywood mount. The maiden flight didn't go well due to a weak motor (see POST 14 below). I believe this new motor is of the same caliber as my Corsair #1 above and will run well on 4S.

3) The hold bar on the wing for the rubber bands should be on the bottom of the wing and not under the spar where it interferes with long batteries.

4) Tabs were added fore and aft to align and hold the wing from shifting left and right.

5) The tongue of the belly pan needs to accommodate the hold bar where the rubber bands go. I used two popsicle sticks so they go left and right of the hold bar.
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 25, 2019 at 06:06 AM.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:12 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Motor pulled loose on 4S

I flew my Corsair #1 December 8th on 4S and wrung it out. The flight below is not that flight. But after it landed, I noticed the motor was barely hanging on. I had used some #2 wood screws in 3 of the motor mount holes. Two of the 3 had come loose. I remounted the motor with 2.5mm bolts and Nyloc nuts. It feels solid. The weather doesn't look good for the foreseeable future so not sure when I'll be able to do a check flight.

The flight below was on 4 Dec. After the maiden of Corsair #2 didn't go well, I swapped the wing off it to my Corsair #1 and flew it, mainly so I could show my grandson at least the wing could fly. He picked the orange color for the stripes so he can easily see them in this video.

Flite Test Corsair Master Build flight on 12/04/2019 Flight 1 (1 min 43 sec)
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:20 PM
Blue Skies
Thread OP
The maiden flight of my FT MB Corsair #2 didn't go well. Actually it barely went due to a very weak motor. There's no damage but it has a new motor now, the one in POST 12 above.

Flite Test Corsair #2 Master Build Maiden Flight on 4 Dec 2019 (0 min 40 sec)
Last edited by hifinsword; Dec 10, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
Dec 19, 2019, 04:16 AM
Blue Skies
Thread OP

Flite Test STEM Alpha build

For comparison's sake, the empty weight of my FT Alpha model is 331.7g or 11.7oz or 0.73 lbs.

The empty weight of my FT Master Build Corsair with retracts is 1077.3g or 38 oz or 2.25 lbs.

Quick Reply