Nov 22, 2019, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Requirements for having a UAV that can also be RC

I am currently building a fixed wing drone. I have built RC planes before, and I have some store bought quadcopter drones, so I have some familiarity with them actually flying, but when it comes down to it, I am not entirely sure how to set up a drone so it is both able to operate by RC as well as semi-autonomously (flying to waypoints on a map). Currently, my plan is to use a PixHawk as a flightcontroller, but other than that, I am not entirely sure how to configure the control system for the aircraft. My quadcopter drones are able to operate both in RC mode as well as autonomously with waypoints/RTB commands and I want something similar for my fixed wing drone. Do I need a separate receiver on the aircraft and a RC transmitter or would that be built into the pixhawk? If its built into the PixHawk, do I just use my phone or something like that? Ironically, I know more about military drones in regards to this topic since I used to work with them.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2019, 11:26 AM
Try this http://ardupilot.org/plane/index.html

The arduplane can use the PixHawk and give you full waypoint flying.

Peter
Nov 25, 2019, 02:46 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflyer00
Do I need a separate receiver on the aircraft and a RC transmitter or would that be built into the pixhawk?
Yes, and the receiver plugs into the pixhawk. In semi-autonomous modes the pixhawk commands the control surfaces on it's own. The transmitter can be used for normal flying and to send mission commands to the pixhawk (ie: return to land, auto mission start/abort, etc).

The link Peter provided documents it all. Marco Robustini (he's here on RCG too) has a number of good demo videos on his youtube channel too:

"APM:Plane" - Helical landing concept (automatic and manual demonstration) (3 min 1 sec)
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018

Quick Reply