This thread is privately moderated by rockiesguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 21, 2019, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

conversion #7 HSD EDF to Xicoy X45

I have been running this little (and awesome) engine for a while now and totally love it !

I have built two wooden frame jet for it, but after a mishap on the second one the engine became an orphan. Having built 6 other EDF conversions (K30 all) this came as an easy-piecie project. There is a great advantage to foam over wood or composites; not IF but -when- you crash it bounces back in big pieces, providing protection to your internal components. .including the engine.

It is an HSD "Viper" (but it is totally an -AVANTI- in foam. I had a while ago the HSD white/red (NAVY) turbine jet and I can tell you that it is heavy, but flyers great!

I found, after giving up a long ago, a V-1 EDF Viper "red". The V-1 was the lightest ever, before the coming of the "turbo-foam" and cautious but heavy reinforcements were made.

Also. must say, I saw it in an YT video already converted for the X45 and flying ( in Ferrari color scheme)..

You can see in one of those pictures how cavernous the engine bay area is, but even with that, I had to remove a couple of pieces from it to allow room for the fuel tank to be centered ==at the CG point ==

The pipe tail end mount was made of 6 layer plywood cut to fit a good old pipe made for a Wren44. Bare in mind that Newtons are Newtons (force and heat) no matter the size of what produces it ! The Xicoy 45 is about half the size of the Wren engine.

The EDF unit removed, shows its weight in the picture, the X45 weights lees than that, and the pipe weight is only 5.5 oz. / our euro counterpart modelers don't like when I aim to "replace" the weights, but it is a safe way to figure out how much weight you need in the nose.. and I cant tell you right now that my batts and other parts used to run the X45 are waaayyyy lighter than two 22oz 6 cell battery packs !... the main fuel tank should not count for that purpose...so there will have to be some dead weight...which I totally avoid as much as I can ..when I can.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Some progress today..
Nov 25, 2019, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
Flew the little guy today ! Wnet out to the field just to run the engine, but ended up pulling the trigger !

I f you zoom in the pix showing the ancilliaries you wil notice how cavernous is the room in there !

I got a super short video of it on taxy, but have no idea how to get it from the phone to the computer...it is not just like the still frame pictures, it takes something else that I am not aware of...but will find out soon..

Quick Reply