Nov 20, 2019, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Help!

How to release the canopy on a Baudis Diana 2

How do I use the small 'L' shaped tool to release the canopy? Is it supposed to latch on to a release? Do I pull up, forward or backwards on the tool once it is inserted. I can't feel it latching on to anything once inserted. I am reluctant to pull too hard and maybe break something.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2019, 06:09 PM
Mark Triebes
Insert the tool at the front of the slot and pull towards the tail ... you should feel it catch on the release and the canopy should visibly lift up when released.
Nov 20, 2019, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Mark,
Thanks for the help. I got the canopy off but the slide isn't very smooth. I got a flashlight out and took a look at the mechanism and can't really tell why the hook isn't solidly hooking on to the canopy release. I probably need to play with it some more to get the technique down.
Nov 20, 2019, 07:27 PM

canopy release

I find the easiest way to reliably unlock the canopy is to make a small tool of 1/32" brass sheet and a wood handle, 15 mm x 10 mm x 80 mm with a bit of contouring to make it easy to grip. The brass 'tooth' sticks out about 10 mm and is about 2.5 mm wide. The silver inset circle is a rare earth magnet that holds the tool to a matching magnet in the fuselage stand. The three dark circles are toothpicks inserted into holes drilled through the wood and brass insert - probably over kill, but definitely locks the 1/32 brass part in place. Finish is two or three coats of thin CA.

The tool is inserted into the front of the slot behind the canopy with the handle to the rear. Lower the tool until it bottoms out, pull to the rear and the canopy is released.
Last edited by airporter; Nov 20, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:08 PM
Mark Triebes
They seem to vary a bit ... the one on my Diana is smooth as butter, but the one on my new GP15 is a little sketchy. Like you said, takes a little bit of learn-time to figure out the best technique.
Nov 20, 2019, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Mark,
What servo are you using for the retract ? I'm guessing it has to be a 180 degree retract. I'm using a Jeti radio but have been told that you can't limit the throw on a 180 degree retract. I would have assumed any servo could have the travel limited by adjusting the endpoints in the transmitter. If I use a 180 degree servo but only need 170 degrees, I don't want to stall out the servo. I will be using a dedicated battery for the retract.
If you have the time, can you take a couple of photos of the interior of the fuse so I can get a general idea of how to lay out the batteries receivers, etc. This is my first scale sailplane but I have been flying Xxplorers, Perfections, etc for the past twenty years
Last edited by Hoot; Nov 20, 2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Nov 21, 2019, 02:11 AM
Team Horizon

Baudis canopy tool

By far, the best canopy opening tool for a Baudis model is a small pocket knife. Insert the tip of the blade into the slot in the release and pull towards the tail. The blade fits nicely in the slot and it is big and stiff enough to provide plenty of leverage. And when you fold the blade and put the knife in your pocket it doesn't poke holes in your clothes like the other tools. If the blade of your pocket knife doesn't fit you need a smaller knife. Mine is only about 2.5" long when folded.

Rick
Nov 21, 2019, 08:54 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
Steve,

I had the same problem with my KV Ventus retract. Incorrect assumption, many retract 180 degree servos and even some programmable servos cannot have their limits adjusted. My solution was to obtain a fully programmable servo, including rotation end points. Extend the rotation to 180 degrees through the programming function and then use the limits on my transmitter to prohibit stalling the servo.

Mark
Nov 21, 2019, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
I called Servo City and was told the replacement for the Hitec HS 7954HS is now the D954 and it has the same dimensions as the 7954. Servo City said the servo will respond to the travel limitations programmed in the transmitter of my Jeti DS24.
Thanks to all who answered my canopy and servo questions.
I will probably have additional questions as assembly of the Baudis Diana 2 progresses.

Quick Reply