Jan 04, 2020, 08:35 PM
A man with too many toys
The main reason I have not started one from plans is that I was hoping that he would redesign the structure for laser cutting with tabs so it went together fast and straight. Scratch building takes much more time and I already have one of those projects that I need to get finished. Properly redesigned structure is so much faster to build.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
The main reason I have not started one from plans is that I was hoping that he would redesign the structure for laser cutting with tabs so it went together fast and straight. Scratch building takes much more time and I already have one of those projects that I need to get finished. Properly redesigned structure is so much faster to build.

A redesign would be great, but 90 percent of the plane is sticks- it would have to be sheeted fuse as opposed to the open structure it has been, which would be awesome. All you can do is cross your fingers man. I'm just hoping he comes through with something at this point. I've burned through 2 Stevens kits and scratch built a ladybug since they announced he was going to start back up.
Jan 07, 2020, 07:35 PM
My Quads Better Than Your Quad
Interesting story...Back when I ran a hobby shop after an eight to ten hour day at the shop just so I could buy cheap RC car parts so I could race. Some dude pulls up on a beach bike with a motor on it and buys a bunch of Sig balsa from me. Curious about it, I walk out with him to ask him about the bike. He tells me it's a Whizzer replica and doesn't run very well. I ask if I can take it for a spin and he hands it over like it's not his. After riding it and returning to the store I realize what is wrong. A couple tweaks to the carb and cleaning the plug this thing rips. I hand the bike back to the guy and he tears off flying though the parking lot. My buddy looks over at me and asks if I knew who that was. I had no ideal it was Andy Clancy...Interesting dude.
Jan 08, 2020, 08:59 AM
I agree! I was in Phoenix for work (Microchip conference) and had just done the review of the Lazy Bee for Flying Models. Andy invited me over to his house after I got off - you wouldn't believe how many airplanes he had, of all styles and sizes. And mostly his own designs.

He put the guys here at work to shame (they know who they are...) Entire house, including the bedrooms. One heck of an understanding wife! I wish I had a camera in my pocket, because my wife didn't believe me. My shop/garage are NOTHING compared to his entire house.

Then they out for dinner. It had to be the most expensive place in town, and he absolutely refused to let me even consider paying the tip.

Unbelievably nice guy.

Andy
Jan 08, 2020, 09:18 AM
A man with too many toys
Is it actually Andy Clancy or someone else that's trying to get the business going again?

Jan 08, 2020, 09:43 PM
My Quads Better Than Your Quad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Is it actually Andy Clancy or someone else that's trying to get the business going again?

That sir, Is a good question...
Jan 08, 2020, 09:53 PM
If you guys are really that interested- pm him he's a member and so is his son- or or call the number on the website he calls back. Find out if he's still going through with this while you're at it.
Jan 09, 2020, 08:40 AM
A man with too many toys
Sent email - no reply ?
Jan 09, 2020, 08:51 AM
Yous sent email this morning and already expect an answer? It'll take a couple days- he's not sitting there waiting for info requests from potential customers, he's probably got a real job somewhere.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:25 AM
A man with too many toys
I'll report back if I get a reply.
Jan 10, 2020, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
I tried calling today and didn’t get anyone to answer. I also sent an email, so hopefully I’ll get a reply. It’s hard to stay excited about the Clancy kits, when they don’t seem to care enough to update the customers. Oh well, I ordered a beautiful little foam board kit from The Hanger, LLC to keep me entertained. This is my first foam board kit “Seven Model” and its an excellent kit!

www.thehangerrc.com
Last edited by LeonardS1; Jan 10, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Jan 10, 2020, 05:45 PM
Culper Junior
Maybe, he doesn’t have anything to update.
Jan 10, 2020, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Maybe, he doesn’t have anything to update.
There is something to say, even if it’s just “the balsa never came in” or “the balsa was bad, so we’re still delayed”. Something had to happen, so tell us what it is. Most people can deal with a delay, as long as they are updated.
Jan 11, 2020, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Andy just responded to my email. The foreign balsa supplier ripped him off and wasted a lot of his time. He found another supplier and has received most of the balsa he needs. Laser cutting starts Monday. Hopefully there will be kits available soon.
Jan 11, 2020, 06:39 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS1
Andy just responded to my email. The foreign balsa supplier ripped him off and wasted a lot of his time. He found another supplier and has received most of the balsa he needs. Laser cutting starts Monday. Hopefully there will be kits available soon.
Thanks,
That's very good news.

Quick Reply