Nov 20, 2019, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Louvers

Looking for a source for real or fake. For my 1/4 scale bird.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2019, 07:39 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
https://www.valleyviewrc.com/accessories/cooling-vents
Nov 22, 2019, 01:00 AM
At first I was going to suggest that you might try scoring slits in thin soft aluminum sheet, and then using a stylus or burnishing tool to press the metal from the inside. However, it occurred to me that aluminum I eaily dents as would soft aluminum in a full scal e setting. So a more economical and experimental friendly material might be to use file folder material or Bristol board instead. Shape with same tools as aluminum. Thin card stock is fragile too, but the thought of re-making metal panels might put one off. At least you could practice before tackling metal.

Of course, it is rather simple to make false louvers out of uniform strips of soft wood, pre shaped like TE stock, ready to be cut to length and have their ends rounded. When finished shaping, thse can be carefully glued into position. Heck. I'd put a coat of dope o the back side and on the model surface. then use neat dope thinner to "wick them in place", applied with tiny art brush in one hand, holding the strip in place with other. It's fast and" instant". No globs of glue to squeeze out. Neater than using CA!

Louvers on curved cowl or decking make everything harder but can probably be managed by a clever and determined builder! Another way to simulate louvers is to draw them on models surface, akin to inking panel lines etc. Custom decals might do it, too.

Quick Reply