OMG! F3P is Insane!!

Wow, I just saw this video of Gernot Bruckmann flying his routine at the 2019 F3P World Championships and OMG it was awesome!

Splash

Gernot Bruckmann F3P Video

Wow, I just saw this video of Gernot Bruckmann flying his routine at the 2019 F3P World Championships back in March and OMG it was awesome! I haven't followed F3P in a long time, but I was around for the early days of indoor competition and when the first variable pitch systems came out. Man have things come a long way since then.

This video shows Gernot flying his routine and it utilizes several "tricks" like a variable pitch prop or reverse thrust system as well as in flight deployed streamers and confetti. The way he implemented them into the flight along with the timing of music made it feel like more than just a gimmick. It turned the flight into something special to watch. Have a look for yourself in the video posted below.

The planes are so much lighter these days and offer a great mix of precision and maneuverability. Thinking about our heavy 10oz planes more than a decade ago, it makes me wonder where does it go from here. What will F3P and other indoor planes look and fly like 10 years from now? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Nov 20, 2019, 10:04 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
sets the bar HIGH!

I'd love to see his equipment list for the streamers and confetti.
Nov 20, 2019, 10:13 AM
that's impressive stuff right there !
Nov 20, 2019, 05:17 PM
Don't believe it gets any better then that! Very impressive!
Nov 20, 2019, 08:34 PM
Soar high, huck low
Total control. Bravo!
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Nov 20, 2019, 10:14 PM
rrg
rrg
Wow, and backwards...
Nov 21, 2019, 01:15 AM
That was simply fantastic! I now know what I want to get myself for Christmas this year. Lol
Nov 22, 2019, 04:08 AM
Does he use variable pitch prop ? No other way it could stop mid flight like that coming down.
Nov 22, 2019, 11:19 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
There are two ways this is achievable, I am unsure which was used:

1- Variable Pitched Prop

2- Reversing ESC.
Nov 22, 2019, 12:12 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Amazing what they can do with cgi now.... That is way too much thumbing...or pinching, and switch hitting for me to even attempt. I envy those guys that can do all of that and make it look easy while doing it.
Nov 22, 2019, 02:02 PM
It even reversed ! !
Nov 22, 2019, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
There are two ways this is achievable, I am unsure which was used:

1- Variable Pitched Prop

2- Reversing ESC.
On the video thumbnail you can see that the plane has a fixed pitch prop; so, it is the reversible ESC
Nov 22, 2019, 02:52 PM
Risto Hölttä - F3A/P Team FIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball
On the video thumbnail you can see that the plane has a fixed pitch prop; so, it is the reversible ESC
No, it is a variable pitch system. Reversible ESCs can switch the direction and reverse but with 8" prop it will take too long to be smooth like that.

Gernot is one of the best. If you want to see another pilot who can perform, look for Donatas Pauzuolis.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed
No, it is a variable pitch system. Reversible ESCs can switch the direction and reverse but with 8" prop it will take too long to be smooth like that.

Gernot is one of the best. If you want to see another pilot who can perform, look for Donatas Pauzuolis.
Thanks for correcting me!
Dec 02, 2019, 06:22 AM
F3P , even the "kind of" that I practice is too much fun
The combination of low cost , endless challenges, aesthetics, and all weather suitability is unique.

I would love to see low cost EPP 1s planes and their powerplants available sometime in the future (more pattern than freestyle)
Cheers

Quick Reply