Nov 19, 2019, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

methonal

A couple years ago I bought 5 gal. of methanol and mixed 2-3 gal with sig castor. Problem is I did not have enough caster to make the 5 gal. So I filled the extra 2 gal jugs with the rest of the methanol and sealed them tight. OK, the problem is I did not mark the jugs without castor oil. Question, How to check if it has castor oil. Maybe running some between fingers. I have had castor separate which makes it easy to tell, but my extra gal appears clear. Any ideas. Logair
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 09:47 PM
You can feel it between your fingers.

Mike
Nov 19, 2019, 09:48 PM
///////
Let some of it evaporate in plate, the oil will stay after the methanol is gone!
Nov 20, 2019, 12:28 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by logair8452
A couple years ago I bought 5 gal. of methanol and mixed 2-3 gal with sig castor. Problem is I did not have enough caster to make the 5 gal. So I filled the extra 2 gal jugs with the rest of the methanol and sealed them tight. OK, the problem is I did not mark the jugs without castor oil. Question, How to check if it has castor oil. Maybe running some between fingers. I have had castor separate which makes it easy to tell, but my extra gal appears clear. Any ideas. Logair
If you pour some out the one with the castor oil mix should be yellow or amber. The pure methanol should be crystal clear. Pour some on your hand and you will notice the difference right away. Pour some on a small dish and light a fire and the pure methanol will burn with no residue. The one with the castor will have a oily residue.
Nov 20, 2019, 12:41 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Let some of it evaporate in plate, the oil will stay after the methanol is gone!
The best way to see figure it out is something like this... you could pour it onto anything, I would probably dab a paper towel in it and see if an oily residue gets left behind. You can also smell the castor oil... lots of ways to tell.
Nov 20, 2019, 02:33 PM
Thread OP

fuel

Thanks everyone for your input. Great suggestions. Logair

Quick Reply