Nov 19, 2019, 07:08 PM
Tezact
Thread OP
Discussion

Gearboxes

Why use a gearbox on an electric motor for F5J airframes?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 08:33 PM
Smaller diameter nose for similar torque/prop diameter.
Nov 20, 2019, 01:32 AM
What Phil said but with a bit more detail:

Allows a much lower effective Kv for the weight or external diameter or both, even considering the qearbox weight. Lower effective Kv = higher unit torque per amp. And at the higher motor kv with fewer winds of thicker wire compared to a low Kv outrunner, the allowable current is also higher than a low Kv outrunner. More amps times higher torque per amp = more torque. And all this in a 28mm or 36mm diameter.

Any time weight and diameter are significantly constrained, a geared solution is likely to be superior to direct drive outrunners.
Nov 20, 2019, 03:38 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
All excellent points but with an inrunner and gearbox there is no issues with rubbing motor wires or battery’s sliding up to the rotating can.

Curtis
Nov 20, 2019, 03:40 AM
Tezact
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
What Phil said but with a bit more detail:

Allows a much lower effective Kv for the weight or external diameter or both, even considering the qearbox weight. Lower effective Kv = higher unit torque per amp. And at the higher motor kv with fewer winds of thicker wire compared to a low Kv outrunner, the allowable current is also higher than a low Kv outrunner. More amps times higher torque per amp = more torque. And all this in a 28mm or 36mm diameter.

Any time weight and diameter are significantly constrained, a geared solution is likely to be superior to direct drive outrunners.
Thanks Al,
Pretty much what I suspected, particularly where weight and diameter are an issue. Still waiting on the 4m Pulsar. I have a Mega Plus 16/30/3CE to put in it (not going to use a gearbox)
Terry
Nov 20, 2019, 06:18 AM
32.4316° N, 80.6698° W
The others posters are correct....80 percent of the time its the small nose diameter. The other 20 percent ...must put an expensive motor in your expensive sailplane, that's the law
Nov 20, 2019, 07:08 AM

maintenance

What is the care and maintenance required?
Lubrication?
what oil?
how often?
Nov 20, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5j_Guy
What is the care and maintenance required?
Lubrication? Yes
what oil? No---grease
how often? Every 100 flights or so.
Steve
Nov 20, 2019, 09:23 PM
jjc
jjc
Steve, what kind of grease is used in the p29 gearbox? It’s on a 1102. John
Nov 20, 2019, 10:05 PM
D T
D T
Will white Lithium grease (spray) be good?
Nov 21, 2019, 07:50 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I would think it depends on the climate you're flying in ... if it is wicked cold, then I would use a grease that is designed to lubricate in freezing temperatures.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:50 AM
Are there any instructions for removal, grease process and install for this? I also would like to know what type of grease to use? I’m using the 1102P22 in my 3 planes and didn’t not know they needed lubrication this frequently.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:22 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjosedale
................... the 1102P22 .....................
What is this please?
Nov 22, 2019, 04:15 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
What is this please?
It's a NEU motor/gearbox combo, Jim.
I have one in my Vixen II and love it.

Steve's gearbox maintenance post is HERE

I've tried to find the Klübersynth GE 14-151 grease here in Australia ... yeah right. (face palm)
Last edited by Larrikin; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Klübersynth GE 14-151 comment
Nov 22, 2019, 05:52 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
It's a NEU motor/gearbox combo, Jim.
I have one in my Vixen II and love it.
I've tried to find the Klübersynth GE 14-151 grease here in Australia ... yeah right. (face palm)
Thanks Dave. Some posts are just too cryptic for this old subscriber!................

Any grease is better than none; consistent with what Steve states in his instructions. I would guess a good quality high temperature bearing grease would be suitable.
But, what do I know?...................

That motor/gearbox unit sure looks nice, but at that price, all I will be doing is looking! And that figure is in US$!!!!

Quick Reply