Nov 18, 2019, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hk swift canard build?

I want a canard to play with; seems interesting.
In my simple head I cut off tail,glue on front.
Turn elevator around and balance to same balance point on wing.
Any reason it won't work?
Whaddya think?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 12:35 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Partially true, except for the CG bit - moving tail from back to front will move the neutral point of the aircraft, and therefore the required CG, a long way forward.
There are some CG calculators on line that can work it out for you.
Or you can use the Scott Lennon system, and I quote: 'I just threw it off the hill and added weight to the nose till it flew.'
You will also need to make sure you have enough fin up the back to give it sufficient yaw stability.
Low cost fun though - enjoy!
Cheers,
PeteM
Nov 19, 2019, 10:28 AM
It's time for me to fly
I've been thinking about canards too. Like Pete said, there are online CG calculators. One thing I read is you want the canard to stall before the main wing. So the canard angle of incidence should be slightly "leading edge up" (I always forget if that's positive or negative) compared to the wing.
Nov 19, 2019, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Wow,thank you so much for the info.
This will make the process so much easier and funner.
I appreciate any and all input.
Nov 19, 2019, 12:48 PM

Simple canard from Fly Trap base

This is a quick build canard, using the slope Fly Trap as a starting point. The design was" it looks about right".
The difference was the added power due to local flying sites. It had elevons only. First flight was easy with spot on CG. Performance not at unlike Fly Trap, but maybe more groovy.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
That's awesome!
Elevons only.
What else can be dreamt of?
Canard twisty wing!
Nov 19, 2019, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
That is so cool!
Elevons only!
Nov 20, 2019, 10:21 PM
The rorotillerguy here on rcg will sell you the real deal. Richard Jarel's Telos.

Quick Reply