Nov 18, 2019, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
Question

Storage of Craft?

Hi, All!

So, I'm looking to move my helis (all Blade) and planes (FMS P51-D, Eflite S15 Apprentice, Hangar 9 Super Cub) off my dining room table, out of my living room, and so on. So the question is: what's the temperature range for storage? I keep the Li-Po's in a climate controlled area, but can I store the craft in my 18F to 115F attic or garage?

Thanks,
Dan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2019, 05:55 PM
Retired
Yamovitch, I would think the garage would be ok, but I’d be a little hesitant of attic storage. My planes were stored in Michigan basement for years. No big deal, but I flew all winter with no problems. No they are stored in my garage in Mesa AZ and the extreme heat had no effect on them. I was leery but had gotten advise on this forum from others in my area. Batteries, different story.
Nov 23, 2019, 07:41 PM
The cold is not a problem for foamy's, but heat is.... I warped the wings on my sport cub hanging it in the attic of my shop a couple years ago.
Nov 25, 2019, 05:53 PM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamovitch

So, I'm looking to move my helis (all Blade) and planes
Dan
Your looking to move them or are you under orders from the other half?
Nov 26, 2019, 04:27 PM
I've found that sunlight (UV rays) is probably more damaging to the covering of aircraft. Most of mine are in a well-ventilated garage -- admittedly without such temperature extremes as you have -- and they've suffered no damage other than dust from my workshop activities. Those in my shed, also well ventilated, suffered from sun damage until I put dark flim from an auto shop on the windows.
Dec 07, 2019, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I think I'm oing to store, this winter, everything in the attic, but move into garage in the spring. I can set the garage up with a window unit to keep it from getting out of hand.

The wife isnt really bothered by my planes/helis,but out houseguest, who dont fly, think its unusual to have a Super Cub as the centerpiece in the dining room.
Dec 08, 2019, 05:22 AM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamovitch
think its unusual to have a Super Cub as the centerpiece in the dining room.
You should see my house lol.
My entire downstairs is dominated by planes and helis ��

Got into the hobby as a therapeutic aid after splitting with my wife, if I meet a woman and going to sigh and shake her head when she sees the Inside of a my house, it's like a model shop ha ha.
Last edited by Uksteve; Dec 08, 2019 at 05:28 AM.
Dec 08, 2019, 12:09 PM
We have a spare bedroom that I have turned into a hobby shop. Im almost out of room for airplane storage in there and am working on a storage space under our house, then the sky's the limit.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:38 PM
ICM
ICM
I store mine in my large (2800sqft) dehumidified basement with constant temp betweenn 55-58 degrees. Screwed together three 4 x 8 plywood sheets supported by 2x4's at the corners creating a 3 tier storage unit, 21" between each tier. Holds 8 foamies ( 1200 - 2000mm ) so far with room for 4 more on the top tier and 4 on the concrete floor below the bottom tier. All planes stored wings on except 2000mm FMS Beaver which I can't fit wings on in my SUV anyhow. Material costs about $60 and 2 hrs time. If and when I need more storage, I'll build another.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:46 PM
That thing almost hit me
I just leave mine in the car......

Dec 08, 2019, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICM
I store mine in my large (2800sqft) dehumidified basement with constant temp betweenn 55-58 degrees. Screwed together three 4 x 8 plywood sheets supported by 2x4's at the corners creating a 3 tier storage unit, 21" between each tier. Holds 8 foamies ( 1200 - 2000mm ) so far with room for 4 more on the top tier and 4 on the concrete floor below the bottom tier. All planes stored wings on except 2000mm FMS Beaver which I can't fit wings on in my SUV anyhow. Material costs about $60 and 2 hrs time. If and when I need more storage, I'll build another.
Can you post up a pic, I'm looking for ideas when I finish my storage space.
Dec 21, 2019, 07:46 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
At my former house, I made a frame of 2x4s along one wall of the basement and used discarded wooden doors as shelves. There were 3 layers including the floor, about 2 apart vertically. Sorry but I dont have any pictures. I got the doors for free while my subdivision was being built. The builder was throwing out scratched and damaged doors.

Quick Reply