Behind the Scenes Look at MotionRC AL37 Airliner Stress Tests

Here's a fun video from MotionRC giving us a behind the scenes look at some flight testing of the Freewing AL37 ducted fan jet. Having been in product development, these types of tests are pretty standard and it's fun to be the the pilot and put the plane through some serious stresses to see what it can handle.

Splash

Fun Video from MotionRC

Here's a fun video from MotionRC giving us a behind the scenes look at some flight testing of the Freewing AL37 ducted fan jet. Having been in product development, these types of tests are pretty standard and it's fun to be the the pilot and put the plane through some serious stresses to see what it can handle.

On early pre-production models, we would often cause failures and find out where the plane needed more structural support. The factories would take our data and modify the planes for full production runs to make sure the airplanes would handle just about anything a pilot could throw at it. Enjoy the video below to see how these tests are done.

Nov 18, 2019, 10:06 AM
Landing is not optional
Always cool to get any look behind the curtain in this business/hobby!
Nov 18, 2019, 11:31 AM
MK
MK
I'm amazed at that hard landing and no damage to the retracts!
Nov 18, 2019, 04:06 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thanks for a peak into flight testing. The wings look like they have plenty of strength for a non-aerobatic plane to be able to handle the stick banging and looping shown in the video. I would be interested in seeing what kinds of loads a foam wing with a high aspect ratio would see in a typical flight. I saw in the comment section on YT a reference to possible g load measurements by the pilot, Alpha Enos:
This video was flight #193, since we can't show them all. We flight test in batches of 10-12 flights, with each section evaluating specific parts of the test. The initial sections start with the easy stuff (CG range validation, current under load, rolling resistance, flight duration, force measurements and distribution on landing, etc), and then progress toward more rare and extreme conditions (asymmetric flap deployment, dead aileron servo, etc). By flight 200-220, we move into intentional structural in-flight failures, from which most models aren't intended to survive. Our team is both creator and killer.

For this video, we wanted to show a flight from a later section, but still one where the airplane comes down in one piece so viewers can see what is a survivable condition. I think [HOPE!] it's safe to say no one will be intentionally banging their sticks in circles as I'm doing in this video, so seeing how easily the model recovers to controlled flight should be an assurance to anyone watching that even in those conditions our airliner really is a pussycat.
The AL37 looks like a winner. I hope to add one to my hangar soon.
Nov 18, 2019, 07:47 PM
killickb
In my younger day I used to try and break "real" airplanes thru static and ground based testing whilst at Farnborough and Thurleigh --- great days!

Must be fun to do with models knowing that it is all N/C and that you don't necessarily have to fix it !
Nov 19, 2019, 08:53 AM
One more flight...
The guy must be an amateur model stress tester, or did I just miss the full throttle vertical dive with a full elevator hard pull up into a lomcevak?

Nov 21, 2019, 12:02 PM
Needs to install MCAS system.
Ooooops..............
Nov 24, 2019, 09:40 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
More testing than Boeing did on the real Max before they released it...
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Nov 30, 2019, 07:50 PM
Really struck by the skill of the pilot. Crazy.

Quick Reply