Nov 17, 2019, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Voyager F5J . by Soaring Lab

Hello

When I entered this sport, I noticed that most people were flying Explorer, and it seemed like the only choice out there. So, I wondered if I could make a world class plane and sell it at a reasonable price. It took me about three months to get a team together , and another two months of emails to describe how I wanted the glider to fly. Finally, in May 2017, I started Soaring Lab to sell the Voyager, and it’s respective parts.

We make our Voyager planes from the highest quality carbon fiber composite material available. Our goal is to achieve strength while maintaining a lightweight plane. Our elevators and stabilizers are CNC to be light and durable. We tested for over two years in Southern California before deciding to bring Voyager to market. We made a few changes from the original first Voyager. Our latest model has a slimmer fuselage with a longer canopy. The stabilizer is slightly bigger, and I reduced the weight to a sub 35 oz glider.

Our Voyager gliders detect thermals quite well, this caught the eye of Bob McGowan. It just so happened, that Bob’s two gliders were out of commission the week of the Visalia contest, so I offered my plane to him. Straight out of the box he won both F5J USA Tour Contest with the Voyager. I know what you’re thinking, Bob could fly the Spruce goose and thermal it out.

Apparently, it was a good combination of plane and pilot. We look forward to more combined efforts to put the Voyager on the podium and of course, for fun flying.

It's nice to have choices - Voyager

Wingspan: 156 in. (3962mm)
Wing Area: 83.6 dm2
Airfoil: Voyager18
Length: 76in. (1930mm)
Weight: 34 oz (963g)
Controls: Elev, Rud, Ail, Flaps
Parts: Plug-n-Play, two carbon rods
Last edited by Pilot950; Nov 22, 2019 at 12:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 09:49 PM
Very nice! Very appealing design! How much and where do we order?
Nov 17, 2019, 10:19 PM
Why the choice to stay with a three piece wing and not four?
Where are the models made?

Very very interested in the thread.

Congratulations on your endeavors!
Nov 17, 2019, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
They are priced at 1999.00 but I have a get to know us pricing, email me later.
You can see and order gliders at our site, www.soaringlab.com
Nov 17, 2019, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, its been a long time in the works, the planes are design here in calif. and bagged in Ukraine
Nov 18, 2019, 12:00 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot950
Thanks, its been a long time in the works, the planes are design here in calif. and bagged in Ukraine
Bagged? As in.... vacuum bagged ?

--
Greg
Nov 18, 2019, 02:18 AM
VHO
VHO
glider misguider
Are the tips hollow moulded or just the Centre Panel?
Nov 18, 2019, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
The center panel and the tips are hollow molded, and the tail section is cnc cut.
Nov 19, 2019, 02:33 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Up here in NorCal we are finding out that the Voyager F5J is a nice plane. Pilot950 aka Steve was kind enough to send one of his plane bundle kits up here for us to try for a few months. My friend Bill Curry offered to build it and completed it last week. We maidened it and christened it our "NorCal community plane" at least for awhile until someone up here buys it. We flew it again today. Like I said, nice plane. Launches and thermals very well, well behaved landings too.

Below is a pic of Bill and the Voyager F5J. The plane was set up by Bill on his TX so he's the one to answer any setup q's you may have about it. Steve can tell you more about the bundle he sent us. Thanks for letting us try this new plane out, Steve!

If you are anywhere in northern California PM me and we can arrange to let you fly it if you can make it to our practice field in Vacaville (Lagoon Valley Park).

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Nov 19, 2019, 09:53 AM
Still wondering where the models are made and who is “we”?
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Nov 19, 2019, 10:24 AM
You have to be part of the NES Cartel to find out
Nov 19, 2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe Bill Curry will tell me. I have a “hope” that they are made in the USA but that is probably just wishful thinking. Probably made in the Ukraine, “not there is anything wrong with that” as Jerry Seinfeld would say.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:35 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
FYI Steve is planning to hop onto this thread later today and answer your pending q's. I'll ask Bill to jump in too.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Still wondering where the models are made and who is “we”?
Planes are designed here in California and are constructed in Ukraine.
I use we to refer to my company, it’s basically I, I do refer to my factory for there expert advice in the direction. Maybe that’s where We comes from.

Sorry Keith , I let the cat out of the bag
Last edited by Pilot950; Nov 19, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:09 PM
Excellent news, now if we could find a decent green grass field to fly it off of like in the photo. Maybe Keith can guess where this photo was taken.

Quick Reply