Nov 17, 2019, 08:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Discussion

Midway Movie

Granted, the theme is the battle being won by airpower. However, for you fans of naval warships there is tons of amazing CGI action.

My wife and I watched the movie today. It is really an awesome film and a powerful story. And the CGI, which I was concerned would be really fake looking, is actually quite good and very believable.

The survivors of WWII are dying off by the hundreds each day. That will increase rapidly. They were a very brave bunch of men and women. If you know a WWII vet, tell them thanks.

https://midway.movie/

Midway (2019 Movie) New Trailer – Ed Skrein, Mandy Moore, Nick Jonas, Woody Harrelson (2 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Kmot; Nov 17, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 09:55 PM
boat butcher
Am going to try to see it this week coming up.

Mark
Nov 18, 2019, 02:27 AM
Just Plane Nutts
I was 16 or so in 1976 when Midway hit the theaters.

Today I am on the brink of turning 60, and Midway hit the theaters. Weird feeling, that one was (pardon my Yoda-speak).

I still remember the opening scene in the earlier film, sitting in a bomber with "Sensurround" installed in some theaters (basically a system of huge Cerwin-Vega subwoofers and amps playing subsonic audio). It really felt like I was inside the plane.

Sadly, they had to drop that sound technology, as some theaters are actually getting damaged from the vibrations!
Nov 18, 2019, 03:05 AM
Saw the movie over the weekend, thought the scenes depicting WWII aircraft and ships were very realistic looking and authentically portrayed. I did find some scenes historically false though, as where they showed more B-26 Marauders attacking than were actually present. Nice to see an average enlisted airman included, thought Layton got too much credit, and Rochefort not enough. Harrelson did a good job as Fleet Admiral Nimitz.
Nov 18, 2019, 09:49 AM
My wife asked me to take her to it Saturday. Yes, she asked!

The CGI was way better than Pearl Harbor and Red Tails. The SBDs weren't any match for a Zero though - the maneuvering they depicted just wouldn't have happened. The 100 MPH (30%-ish) difference in speed is a lot.

There was also an inaccuracy on the aircraft markings per period. We were flying with meatballs in the stars early in the war.

And NO WILDCATS?!?!?! Come on, they deserve better!

Andy
Nov 19, 2019, 02:34 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
My wife asked me to take her to it Saturday. Yes, she asked!

Lucky guy. Hang on to that one!

Quote:
The CGI was way better than Pearl Harbor and Red Tails. The SBDs weren't any match for a Zero though - the maneuvering they depicted just wouldn't have happened. The 100 MPH (30%-ish) difference in speed is a lot.
The Star Wars-like action was what turned me off to Pearl Harbor. VERY unrealistic flying scenes.

Quote:

And NO WILDCATS?!?!?! Come on, they deserve better!

Andy
Indeed! : https://www.midway.org/exhibits-acti...s/f4f-wildcat/

That plane was built like a tank and saved many American pilots from certain doom:

Quote:
The Japanese ace Saburō Sakai described the Wildcat's capacity to absorb damage:

I had full confidence in my ability to destroy the Grumman and decided to finish off the enemy fighter with only my 7.7 mm machine guns. I turned the 20 mm cannon switch to the "off" position, and closed in.

For some strange reason, even after I had poured about five or six hundred rounds of ammunition directly into the Grumman, the airplane did not fall, but kept on flying.

I thought this very odd—it had never happened before—and closed the distance between the two airplanes until I could almost reach out and touch the Grumman. To my surprise, the Grumman's rudder and tail were torn to shreds, looking like an old torn piece of rag. With his plane in such condition, no wonder the pilot was unable to continue fighting! A Zero which had taken that many bullets would have been a ball of fire by now.

— Saburo Sakai, Zero
Nov 19, 2019, 05:46 PM
Intermediate Multi
Someone needs to tell the story of how the Yorktown was repaired in three days. Breaking the Japanese code is an interesting aspect as well.
Nov 19, 2019, 09:01 PM

Something to think about

I haven't seen the new movie "Midway" yet but intend to.
My father, and several of my uncles all fought in the war, my mom , and many of my other relatives of the time worked in war material
factories.
They endured hard times.

What many of todays younger genertion doesn't understand is the "Triparte " agreemewnt between Japan, Germany and Italy.
The end game was for these three nations to soundly defeat the Allied forces aand takeover and conquer ourcountry.
The Germans would get almost all of the east coast and as far west as the midwest and all of the industries.
Japan would get most of the west coast and further inland and all of the industries and agriculure.

Mussolini would get part of the southen United Satates, it's ports and industries.

But one event quickly changed all of that.
Hitlers plans to defeat and takeover the UK failed and he lost a major part of his air power in the Battle of Britain.

The battle of Midway the hurt the Japanese Imperial Navy and they never regained their aircraft carrier strength after Midway.

They simply didn't have the resources and industrial might that the USA possessed.

We live in a free country today because of the strength and determination of the "Greatest Generation"
Our parents and grandparents fought and defeated the the Axis tyranny!!!
Nov 19, 2019, 10:18 PM
Having both industry and natural resources on our soil didn't hurt. Germany gained much of those through conquest. Japan even today has nothing to feed it's factories.

Unlike today, when we can't dig for fear of violation of eco laws, and so much of our industrial know how has been exported to our biggest rival.

Andy
Nov 19, 2019, 11:14 PM
a good friend off mine did the Midway memorial, these are done in mosaic crushed glass,they where done in Chicago and shipped to Midway and installed
Nov 20, 2019, 10:19 AM

Passing of American Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot

The survivors of WWII are dying off by the hundreds each day. That will increase rapidly. They were a very brave bunch of men and women. If you know a WWII vet, tell them thanks.
The last of These American Heroes has passed on ...

"A legend passes: Dick Cole, who was then-Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot in the No. 1 bomber during the daring 1942 raid to strike Japan, was 103."

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...s-dies-at-103/
Nov 22, 2019, 12:27 PM
Many years ago I had the honor of meeting Lt. Col. Frank Keppler USAAC Ret. aboard the USS Hornet (2) in Alameda, CA. The Colonel was the navigator on plane number 11, the "Hari Karrier", piloted by Capt. Ross Greening, who also invented the make shift bomb sight used by the Doolittle Raiders. The Colonel spoke for 3/4 of an hour, and while he had an occasional memory lapse, his recollections from so many years ago was still sharp.
Nov 23, 2019, 07:14 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Never met any of the Doolittle crew, but I did get to shake the hand of Greg "Pappy" Boyington of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" fame (a Marine pilot in the Pacific fleet) at the Reno Air Races in the early 1980s. I also shook Masajiro "Mike" Kawato's hand, the Japanese WWII pilot who claimed he was the one who shot Pappy down (disputed).

They were both there signing their books (I bought a copy of each). Mike's was titled "Bye Bye, Black Sheep".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

Odd....that doesn't look like Robert Conrad...
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Nov 23, 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Nov 26, 2019, 08:49 PM
Wife and went to a local theater and was discouraged that we had to sit through 30 minutes of advertisement of upcoming shows.
All with super loud speakers blaring in our ears before Midway started.
Next time we will be a half hour late for the main show.
Nov 26, 2019, 10:32 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409
Wife and went to a local theater and was discouraged that we had to sit through 30 minutes of advertisement of upcoming shows.
All with super loud speakers blaring in our ears before Midway started.
Next time we will be a half hour late for the main show.
But coming late means lousy seats. Defeating one evil reveals another.

You just described why I stopped attending theaters, The last movie I saw there was either Ferris Bueller or Beetlejuice. Remember when they showed cartoon shorts? A Tom and Jerry 'toon at a drive-in in the mid 70's is the last I recall.

Along with movie previews I was subject to tire and local BMW dealer commercials. High ticket prices, rude fellow viewers and overpriced lousy snack food was one thing I could bear, but paying good money to see a new movie and having to watch commercials ANYWAY was going too far. So I went and never turned back. Plenty to seat home now on huge TVs anyway. Some of the marvel Universe flicks almost called me back to the big screens, but it didn't happen.

Quick Reply