Nov 17, 2019, 01:23 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Discussion

After 55 Years

Whether 1:1 or 1:12, She is still a damn good looking design!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 02:22 PM
BOB- She sure is a good looking PACE. I have a question on how did you do the hull planking reliefs? Did you bevel the edges of the planks when you were planking or scarf them in after the hull was built?
Nov 17, 2019, 02:47 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Rich, thanks for that professional assessment..means a lot to me-
the hull is fiberglass, only made 1/8 inch smaller all around-then individual basswood planks were applied. They were soaked and bent laterally to that classic J shape and I eased the sharp edges before gluing. Then waterproof caulk(not silicon) was squeegeed into the tight spaces to simulate the boatlife on the 1:1. The transom planks have the edges painted to show the individual planks and its clear coat is not a high polished smooth finish-I tried to capture that 1964 maintained by the owner look.

Also note the 24K gold leaf (Partial book left over from the leafing done on the original Boat)
Nov 17, 2019, 06:13 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Some fine looking boat Bob. Evokes memories of all the boats and famous builders of sport fisherman from the Jersey shore. Egg Harbor, Pacemaker, Ventnor, Ocean Yachts, Alglas; have I missed anyone? For sure you and Rich will know and add to the list.
Nov 17, 2019, 06:58 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
You did good Bill, only ones that I can think of might be Post and Jersey . And some might say Ulrichsen.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Nov 17, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
You did good Bill, only ones that I can think of might be Post and Jersey . And some might say Ulrichsen.
OMG, I knew I forgot at least one; should not have been Post. Jersey is not one that I was familiar with. Ulrichsen in my mind was more about family cruisers. Certainly could be wrong on that score. If so let’s see some pics!
Last edited by chum444; Nov 17, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 09:03 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Sorry I couldn't find any wooden Jerseys but here's a typical jersey SF... Bill, almost all the above boats have a common thread-designer David Martin.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Nov 17, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 09:24 PM
The Jersey lines to me were very pleasing to the eye. I especially liked the shear line and the broad foredeck. Why I owned an Egg. Those boats were classics. The Oceans had the reputation for being a bit loose. “Flexible Flyer “ was sometimes a descriptor. I knew Spyder Andressen (Salt Water Sportsman writer) who owned one and said they were a bit loose but could take a real beating in heavy wx. Never ran an Ocean myself.
Last edited by chum444; Nov 17, 2019 at 10:30 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:35 PM
Tug Hercules Fireman
Bob,

Excellent !!

What did You use for the simulated Bottom Paint?; looks like the real copper oxide.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:25 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thanks...The bottom paint was a problem-I couldn't find any in real life -the Interlux I was trying to duplicate just isn't used anymore... I had to rely on faded photographs and my memory. I went to Benjamin more and worked with the paint guy to come up with the tints-another problem was that they only custom tint latex paint. So I "bought" (he gave them to me) just the tints separately for a quart of white tint base. Then I went home and custom tinted polycrylic waterbased clear satin. It took a few tries but it is what I remembered-and I had plenty of exposure and viewing time laying on my back under the boat every spring over the 30 some odd years we owned it.

Oh-and it was applied on the model with a small 1 inch brush for texture.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Nov 18, 2019 at 06:30 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:38 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Bill we all forgot these guys-Viking (New Gretna, NJ)
Nov 18, 2019, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Bill we all forgot these guys-Viking (New Gretna, NJ)
Totally forgot Viking. Todayís boats look some fine.
Nov 18, 2019, 07:54 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I read that the reason so many boat companies started in the Jersey area was because of the preferred Jersey cedar..when that ran out then they switched to mahogany..and ultimately to fiber glass and carbon. It sounds plausible-it was on the internet(and as we all know, everything on the internet is true)
Nov 18, 2019, 09:14 AM
I donít know about you guys but around the boat yards around here we always thought of VIKING YACHTS as being a rich manís boat.
Nov 18, 2019, 09:42 AM
Just to add a few more boat builders to the New Jersey Builders,PEDERSON SKIFFS, SEAMAN SKIFFS, LUHRS, CHERUBINI YACHTS, KING SKIFFS. This list could go on for quite awhile since early on New Jersey was one , if not hands down, home to the greatest number of boat builders of everything from rowing boats to yachts in the country. Speaking of yachts, how about TRUMPY YACHTS.
Last edited by frankg; Nov 18, 2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply