Nov 17, 2019, 11:00 AM
John
Thread OP
Help!

Spektrum receiver AR8010T flight pack

I posted this in the beginner flight section, but then discovered this Radio thread which seems more appropriate. I am just entering the sport, and understand flight processes, but radios, not so much. I am building a Sig LT 40 Trainer and will be purchasing a Spektrum DX8 Gen 2 with a AR8010T receiver. I have spent a lot of time trying to research the receiver power source in trying to understand if the receiver has its own power source or if a flight pack is needed to power the receiver with no luck. Does the receiver supply its own power to itself and the servos or does it require an external battery pack. I suspect that it does and if so, can you recommend the appropriate spektrum battery pack. I will be using standard Spectrum servos A6150. I would appreciate any help you could provide. Sorry for the basic question or my ignorance at this point, but just trying to understand.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 11:14 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
The answer on power is it depends.

The receiver does not include an internal battery. You need a power source to power the receiver and servos. The receiver can typically handle a wider voltage range than the servos, so your choice in servos determines your available power options.

Those A6150 servos are wild overkill for your plane. If you haven't bought them get a set of A6390's instead and save $25 or so a servo. The LT40 is designed to use very slow, weak servos (as were common in the late 70's) and any current standard servo is more than it needs.

With Electric setups, the ESC normally includes a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit, or regulator) which powers the receiver and servos.

If you are going gas or glow, you will need a flight pack and appropriate charger.

Right now I'd recommend the following pack:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/66v-220...spmx22002slfrx

And this USB-C charger for it:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/spektru...x20w-spmxc1020

That pack works with any 6V or better rated servos and the charger will charge any of Spektrum's 2S or 3S SMART LiFE and LiPo batteries from any USB power source including a power bank. So easy charging at the field from something you likely already own to charge your cell phone.
Nov 17, 2019, 11:21 AM
John
Thread OP
Thanks so much. Very helpful. The information on the servos was also helpful. I just picked the standard servos from the Spektrum site, so that is how I got to the A6150. I will check out the model you mentioned. Thanks again and have a great weekend. John
Nov 17, 2019, 11:28 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
As an FYI, Standard is a size category for servos, they range from basic sport servos like the A6390's through to monster High Voltage servos for high-end 3D, scale & aerobatic aircraft like the A6150's.

Generally for applications like the LT40 you want 40oz-in or so of torque and .20 seconds for 60 degrees speed performance. Honestly you can probably get away with less than 30oz-in, but you can't get standard size servos that weak anymore.

the A6390's beat that performance, the A6150's aren't really faster, but they're over 4 times more powerful than you need (at up to 180 oz-in of torque)

Quick Reply