Nov 17, 2019, 04:24 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

"SSS", Latest project from JFS . Upgrade to 40 mm EDF unit..

"SSS", Small-smaller-smallest.
My "MOJO" was always, 'the bigger the better they fly', to check if I'm right or wrong I decided to build the smallest EDF jet, based on one of my 10Kwatt giant, "BBB", Big-bigger-biggest.
Using my "Stealthex" design technique, the project is on its way with the first step, the Depron layout.
Last edited by jofro; Dec 09, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 11:02 AM
Classic jets rule
Where you getting the depron? Did you have a stock pile of it? I thought it wasn't being made any longer. What size fan are you using on "Sss" ?
Nov 17, 2019, 11:20 AM
Retired CAD guy
Ca' mon guys ? whats wrong with Model Plane Foam ?

It's USA made too !

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

I have no financial interests in the place.
I just realize that IT is our only Real choice at this moment in time.
Nov 17, 2019, 05:50 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Where you getting the depron? Did you have a stock pile of it? I thought it wasn't being made any longer. What size fan are you using on "Sss" ?
Hi Rog, I got some stock of the genuine German made stuff in 3, 6 and 9mm. for the future projects, not aware it's not made any more.
Using 30mm. modified power units. Wonder how this little thing will fly, hoping to make it light enough for double B/ball indoors, if slow enough.
Just an experiment.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:39 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here s an interesting thread - same subject

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...on-Replacement
Nov 19, 2019, 01:37 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Smallest pin hinges I could find in my spares box for Elevons.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:32 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Elevon controls in its place with the micro servos installed, further work to the "Stealthex frame design" well on its way.
Couple of paint coats to seal it off also on the way.
I can already see this will be a challenging model to fly!
Nov 24, 2019, 03:38 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Few more touches with the paint brush to lighten it up.
Nov 27, 2019, 03:08 AM
jofro
Thread OP
The frame is fully complete, started working on reinforcement of the power unit, and thrust tube. Can't wait to get this thing in the air, I reckon it will take a lot of attention! (the smaller the worse they fly!)
Nov 28, 2019, 01:55 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Back to the heart of the job, the power unit. Little piddly job to create new thrust tube, unfortunately the first run on 20A/Afro ESC ended negative, with bad power surge past half of the stick so hooked it up just to check some figures on larger 40A unit, all good.
Micro set of RX, 30A program speedo and few tiny 850mA batteries are on the way to do the final hook up before excitement of it's maiden.
Nov 28, 2019, 08:50 PM
jofro
Thread OP
At less than 250g, AUW she'll be moving, after bench test seem like plenty of power easily climbing vertical from my hands.
Dec 03, 2019, 04:06 AM
jofro
Thread OP
After experimenting with couple of different ESCs I decided to install 30A, programmable one that works awesome after some data re-set.
Now set for low capacity batteries, (850mA) it's all ready to go but still waiting for micro RX instead having those graphene sticks hanging out.
I guess, this will be the most difficult EDF jet to fly out of my huge fleet.
Dec 04, 2019, 08:36 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Actually not as bad as I have expected after my six, self hand launches this morn. The model seem too under-powered or possibly I have too much of power unit up-thrust.
Working on some major mods, reduction of thrust line as one, reduction of the weight and increase of flying area to lighten it up to see what happens next.
Dec 05, 2019, 05:48 PM
jofro
Thread OP
No luck this morn after 5 more goes with re-design frame. Model seem too heavy for the tiny power unit, having one more option left, further extension of the wing area to reduce wing load and see if I can make out of it a slow EDF jet flier.
If that won't work I re-design mounts for larger 35-40mm power unit.
Dec 06, 2019, 01:20 AM
jofro
Thread OP
"SSS" is taking up another shape as the last resort to reduce the wing load, before final option, getting larger power unit.

Quick Reply