Nov 16, 2019, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Snow Skis

After 20+ years Iím back. Inherited a bunch of planes and madly trying to kit them out with engines ( 2c 40, 46, 61 and 4c 61, 90) on planes from 6# to 10#).
Well Iím ready to fly three planes and winter beat me two it.
Time to change the wheels for skis.
I appreciate some ideas or photos that anyone have
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 07:54 AM
A man with too many toys
I have tried skis and they don't work as well as you might think. It takes hard packed snow or snow with a hard crust. They tend to dig in on new or soft snow.

For most snow flying floats work better. STOL airplanes with flaps have become very popular and most have optional floats. That's the perfect combination for all kinds of snow.

Nov 17, 2019, 10:42 AM

Ray Gareau (a CANADIAN!) published a snow ski article in the AMA magazine in Y2K...

Dear superken:

The PIPE Here...a fan of SNOW flyin', as hot/MUGGY summer weather is completely UNsafe for me to be "outdoors" in!

One Ray Gareau in Canada published THIS article on makin' "short'n'fat" snow skis in the AMA magazine just about two decades ago, and I've got it brought together as a Microsoft Word 2007 document file for our use. He uses metal extrusions for the basic ski material; but with use of 1/32" basswood sheet and 1/64" plywood to cover it with on either side, and fiberglassing the whole shebang all over with light FG cloth & thinned-with-heat clear epoxy, those "short & fat" skis he advocates SHOULD be a good bet for success.

Also, don't forget to make hardwood (pine, etc) "riser blocks", one for each maingear ski, to connect onto the main LG where your warmer-weather WHEELS would go - the triangular "riser blocks" I'd use basically use the radius of your normal wheel for the distance from the ski's top surface to the center of the "riser block thruhole" that slips onto the wheel-axle for mounting the ski.

Well, the MS Word-saved version of Ray's article is in the "footer" of this reply...enjoy, and I hope it helps you!

Yours Sincerely,
The PIPE....!!
Nov 17, 2019, 01:51 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I have tried skis and they don't work as well as you might think. It takes hard packed snow or snow with a hard crust. They tend to dig in on new or soft snow.

For most snow flying floats work better. STOL airplanes with flaps have become very popular and most have optional floats. That's the perfect combination for all kinds of snow.

I bet some of those large balloon tires (Tundra wheels) will work on snow. However they are not easy to find. I like the ones from Kavan but I don't think Sig is selling them anymore. At least they are not listed.

Floats should work well also.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:19 PM

The "original" TREXLER "balloon wheels" are still available...

Dear SeismicCWave:

The PIPE Here again - if one's got an RC aircraft under 15 lbs/6.8 kg in weight ready-to-fly, the "original tundra tire for model aircraft"...

...the Trexler Rubber Company's 8-G through 11-G series low-pressure "balloon wheels"...

...seem to still be quite available!

Just an "informational post", if anyone's still lookin' for 'em!

Yours Sincerely,
The PIPE....!
Nov 17, 2019, 02:37 PM
A man with too many toys
Clancy Aviation has the smaller Trexler Balloon Wheels (up to 4.5").
https://www.andyclancydesigns.com/ar...trexler-wheels

You can also get larger replacement wheels and tires from some of the current production "Tundra" airplane.

Nov 17, 2019, 02:38 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE
Dear SeismicCWave:

The PIPE Here again - if one's got an RC aircraft under 15 lbs/6.8 kg in weight ready-to-fly, the "original tundra tire for model aircraft"...

...the Trexler Rubber Company's 8-G through 11-G series low-pressure "balloon wheels"...

...seem to still be quite available!

Just an "informational post", if anyone's still lookin' for 'em!

Yours Sincerely,
The PIPE....!
Is some one still selling Trexler wheels? Yes those 8G through 11G seems to be quite appropriate.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:40 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Clancy Aviation has Trexler Balloon Wheels
https://www.andyclancydesigns.com/ar...trexler-wheels

Gulp, pretty expensive for the larger ones.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:43 PM
AMA 46133

Balloon wheels

I made my own but I don't have any snow to test them.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:32 PM
I like to put in a huge fuel tank and floats on a trainer and fly off the snow. Touch and goes until you can’t stand the cold anymore.

One trick is warming up first by shoveling and wearing seal skin gloves. Amazing.
Nov 18, 2019, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I made my own but I don't have any snow to test them.
Good idea. I think they would be great on the beach in the soft sand.
Nov 18, 2019, 11:36 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Good idea. I think they would be great on the beach in the soft sand.
I am still waiting for a chance to try them out.
Nov 19, 2019, 04:55 PM
Those are really nice looking wheels SeismicCWave. How about a build thread on them? I went to one of the Randy Randolph Small Steps fly ins and a guy brought a giant sized model that was electric powered that had about a 14' wingspan ans the wheels were just lawn mower innertubes mounted on hubs. I don't remember many of the details except it must of had 20 rolls of see through Ultracote on it. I have it on a VCR tape somewhere but no longer have a VCR player.

I live in Tx and when it snows you better already have skis mounted on your plane because snow around here is here today and gone tomorrow. Its been several years since we have even seen snow. Or ice for that matter.
Last edited by burlesontom; Nov 20, 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:51 PM
AMA 46133
>>Those are really nice looking wheels SiesmiccCWave. How about a build thread on them?<<

Thank you. I am not sure a build thread will help much for most hobbyist. The inner tubes are easy to find. The hubs are simple to make if you have the tool but not too many hobbyist has a CNC router. I cut the center pieces of the hub out of 1" thick pink foam I bought from Home Depot. I cut it in 3D mode so when the two pieces of foam joined together there is a curved circumference to fit the inner diameter of the inner tube. Then I cut the two outside fiberglass pieces on the outer and bolted the whole thing together with some 1/4-20 nylon bolts. I also machined a bushing out of Delrin for the axle.

So the whole thing is simple to make but you do need the tools. One of my friend was thinking about using a 3D printer to print the two halves of the hub. That is also possible but the weight may be a little heavier depending on the design. I was trying to make the lightest possible balloon wheels for a Bruce Tharpe 81" Flying King. I tried to build a bush plane out of it.
Nov 20, 2019, 03:26 PM
I think the wheels look good. How did the Bush Plane turn out? Any pictures?

Quick Reply