Feb 03, 2020, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the link above for the Zero build. Found it very interesting. Did a search for more threads by Wombat. Found one on the FW 190 using the same method. Unfortunately his activity stopped ten years ago. Hope that wasn't a bad sign. I find that most of us scale builders are older and dwindling.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2020, 10:21 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
I'm muddling on. I am not far from covering the wing, I think. I am currently assembling the motor mount, retract housing. My dilemma of the moment is about mounting the main wing. Making the wing de-mountable would make this plane easier to transport but I don't really have an idea for doing so that I like.
Mar 12, 2020, 08:33 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
step by step. I'm about ready to cover the wing. And start making the 6 bucks I'll need for vacuum forming, canopies and cowling. I am leaning toward making the wing removable, but that does mean reinforcing the fuselage significantly
Mar 13, 2020, 09:24 AM
Jer. 29:11
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Do you have a favorite way to make cutouts in the wing for the motor/landing gear mount or for the servo pockets?
Mar 14, 2020, 11:22 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
I guess the answer is a sharp blade. In the picture of the elevator work, you can see the two I use the most. I put tape on the blade to control the depth of the cut. Cut around the edges. Then cut a grid. The small cells of the grid are then broken out. The bottom is not so smooth, so if that matters plan to sand it.

I've put a doculam on the wing. First sprayed with wing with a spray adhesive, experimenting suggested that the bond to this foam wanted some help.

With the wing this far along it's time to advance the rudder and elevator so I can then go work on covering the fuze.
Mar 22, 2020, 12:27 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Getting ready to cover the fuselage. Working on the tail surfaces and how to fit them. Noticed that the last eight inches of the fuselage was floppy, and I had not thought about how to run the tail wheel. Extending the skewer that the rudder hinges on might have been better, but I did not do that. I plan run the wire the tail wheel is on up though the tube and into the skewer. Yes the hinges are key cards and bamboo skewers. If hinging back from the leading edge is a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Soon the fuselage will be covered with doculam and then I'll have to address how to attach with the main wing.
Mar 30, 2020, 09:08 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Working on the rudder , it is not really glued in yet. I've made the first steps on the wing. It is beginning to look like a B10.

Normally I'd try to fly it before the vacuum formed parts get made. But now that's not going to happen. So it will be a pretty maiden.

- Allen
Last edited by rab; Mar 31, 2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Grammar
Apr 29, 2020, 10:07 AM
Jer. 29:11
It's fascinating to watch it come together. Thanks for the update.
May 28, 2020, 01:26 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Some more photos. I will touch up the covering on the fuselage, but it will still show some dents and such. But there's a time to quit before your fixes make things worse. And if I was going to be more scale about this I would have to prepare some corrugated sheeting for the upper and lower parts of the fuselage.

I am planning on vacuum forming the canopies and the motor fairings. I've started work on those forms.
May 28, 2020, 04:31 PM
Nice, I tried something similar before, but never finished.
I may have to try again.
May 30, 2020, 11:45 AM
Hi, nice build. Is that spackling paste you're using to cover the holes?
Jun 02, 2020, 07:51 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Yes I do use light weight spackling paste to fill holes. Some folks will smear it all over the foam and then lightly sand it all smooth before painting or glassing or whatever. I don't fill more than the big mistakes. Trying to build in lightness, laziness, probably both.

This time rather than light weight fiberglass cloth i'm experimenting with this film:https://www.mybinding.com/soft-touch...u=CBDST12500-1. I've used it once before - on a Sig Colt, balsa fuselage and foam wing. It worked well enough on the wing that I thought to try it here. Since post 25 Ive been back over the B10 Fuselage with my iron and the film sat down well. At the moment my theory is that spray on glue I used on the foam before putting the film on was not finished gassing, so the iron was causing the glue to make bubbles under the foam.

The real question will be if I like the way it looks after a coat of paint enough to reach out to Callie Graphs for some markings.
Last edited by rab; Jun 02, 2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Jun 16, 2020, 08:07 AM
That is an interesting looking product. The matte finish could help with the paint sticking. However that is quite an investment for a lifetime supply. Have you found a place where you could buy it in smaller quantities?

Jim
Jun 28, 2020, 03:54 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
I read through this tread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ing-film/page8 and decided to risk it. So far I've been happy.

I am on hold with this build now. We've gone west for the summer. It will have to wait till we make it back east.

Quick Reply