Nov 16, 2019, 11:26 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Build Log

Martin B10

Last year I built a Saab Viggen following flite test plans that used a hot wire cutter. I then thought that I could probably adapt some stick and tissue plans to that build technique. I have a pdf of plans for a Martin B10 that interested me. To my eye the plane looks rather steam punk.

This will be rather ambitious for my limited experience, but I am not afraid of a do over. Also this will be slow going, there are several things to figure out. The biggest unknown is how best to make the wing de-mountable for the trip to the field.

I am aimed at a 40 inch wing span and an 18 oz weight. We will see how close I come to my weight target.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 07:46 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Nov 19, 2019, 11:09 AM
Jer. 29:11
That's an interesting technique. I'd love to learn what works for you (and what doesn't). Please keep us posted!
Nov 20, 2019, 08:39 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Perhaps some explanation is in order. To make the hot wire cutter I went out on the internet bought some nichrome wire, a servo tester, and a brushed esc. The pvc pipe, speaker wire, watt meter, battery and connectors I already had laying around.

The foam I bought at home depot, it started as a 4' by 8' by 2" sheet. After a bit of experimenting I settled on a 3s battery and about 16 watts for a good cut. I also found that the foam cuts well on my table saw and I find that a good way to get squared up stock.

Templates: I've been using aluminum flashing, using 3m 77 to paste it on the aluminum. I use an old scissors to cut the aluminum.

I found that I can use 3m 77 to fix the template to the foam for the cut. But I give the glue a moment to gas after the glue is sprayed on the aluminum. The propellant does dissolve the foam. Waiting a moment or two give the propellant a chance to evaporate away. After the template can be pulled off with little damage to the foam.

As you can see my technique with the hotwire is not outstanding. Some gentile sanding/shaping will be required.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:35 PM
Jer. 29:11
Your fuselages look promising! Thank you for sharing your techniques.
Nov 29, 2019, 05:56 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Thread OP
Muddling on. I've glued the fuselage segments together. If I knew better where the electronics are going I'd have prepared for them. As is I'll be making openings as I get things figured out. I suspect that this one will like the CG pretty far forward. I'll make a small profile glider soon to get a rough idea.

Quick Reply