Nov 16, 2019, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Are the new Saito radials actually fixed?

See a ton of stuff on these things needing new intake setups, timing rings etc... To work ok. Also see Saito has done some revisions. If I get one am I going to have to spend another $250 on aftermarket parts?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 12:10 AM
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Nov 17, 2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: repost
Nov 17, 2019, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
See a ton of stuff on these things needing new intake setups, timing rings etc... To work ok. Also see Saito has done some revisions. If I get one am I going to have to spend another $250 on aftermarket parts?
I wouldn't spend any extras money, the better work as is or forget it...IMHO.

I had a long discussion with Ray English who does the mods on Saito Radials when we met at a swap meet in California a few weeks ago. As I understand it, the latest revisions of these radials have "some" of Ray's mods. But I don't think the con rods are bushed. Best thing is to ask Saito directly and see if you get a satisfactory answer and report back if you wish.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Well according to Morris mini motors they have a bronze bushed master rod now with the updated intake.

Eh... By the time I would get done with one of these and the keleo ring it's $1000 to make less power but damn they sound amazing.
Nov 17, 2019, 06:24 PM
One issue they had was uneven fuel distribution. To keep the engine compact in size, Satio radials don't utilize a induction distribution rotor, like other model / real world radial designs utilize. So they had uneven fuel delivery to the cylinders. Ray's mods improved fuel distribution to the cylinders.

I own a Moki S300 5 cylinder gas radial. I had plans to put in a 33% JW Sopwith Pup, but the smaller displacement radials never caught my attention like OS / Saito offered.
Nov 18, 2019, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
Well according to Morris mini motors they have a bronze bushed master rod now with the updated intake.

Eh... By the time I would get done with one of these and the keleo ring it's $1000 to make less power but damn they sound amazing.
Only the master rod is bushed , how about the rest?

You can try to make your own ring exhaust. They sound amazing. I am selling RC stuff to fund a 30CC Radial for upcoming project.

I think you'll love it, I certainly think I will.

PS: why is there a PP sign on that photo?

Quick Reply