Nov 16, 2019, 10:05 AM
Lift is where you find it.
Thread OP
Discussion

Weasels, Alulas, Ahi's and what-not

I always viewed Alulas with interest, but never really wanted one until now. I've moved to a place that is really windy most of the time, which makes flying light DLGs rather a challenge, but also has a great beach with dunes that are just begging to be sloped. So now that I want an Alula, none are to be found for love or money apparently.

Do you guys know of any Alula knock-off (or it could be a Weasel) that will fit the bill? I want something that will fit in a backpack so I can ride on my bike to less peopled areas of the beach for this pursuit. There is some suspicion that RC stuff is forbidden on this beach, but it's probably a misdemeanor, and since I'm new to the area I'll be seeking forgiveness rather than permission, and, in any case, it's a peaceable endeavor your Honor.

The Ahi looks like it would be fun, but I can't tell if it'll break down for backpack transport.

I'm starting here because DLG is my home base, and you can argue that Alulas are "sort of" DLGs. If no luck, it's off to the slope forum I'll go.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2019, 10:49 AM
plays with toy planes
Alulas rule, and you're exactly where they were designed to fly. Looks like they'll be back in stock in a few weeks.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:28 PM
---
Last edited by cansado; Nov 16, 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 09:56 PM
Blind Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR

The Ahi looks like it would be fun, but I can't tell if it'll break down for backpack transport.

The Ahi does break down (wing and HZ are removable) but it takes a few minutes to assemble. That said the Ahi flies awesome on the slope (can't really tip launch them though). Alula's are great too and you can tip launch them (I have both) but the Ahi flies more like a traditional "plane" with all the large control surfaces.

Rj
Nov 16, 2019, 10:59 PM
Check out the Firefly from microbirds, this might fit your requirements. I’m presently working on another DLG model kit from that site and happy with my purchase
Nov 17, 2019, 04:28 PM
Lift is where you find it.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusbertus
Check out the Firefly from microbirds, this might fit your requirements. Iím presently working on another DLG model kit from that site and happy with my purchase

Thank you- looks like just the thing for light days. Now if it were only in stock...

Quick Reply