Nov 16, 2019, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Idea

Lemoore, CA - Starting a Club and Airfield

Please pardon me if I started this in the wrong forum section. My name is Danny and I live in Lemoore, CA in the central valley of California. As of right now both me and a buddy of mine struggle at times to go flying because of the lack of luscious grass fields and/or a nice groomed runway that doesn't destroy props or our engines.

Our usual flying site is a wide-open hard-packed dirt lot of a local cotton gin. It's not terrible, but it's just that, a dirt lot. Due to the cotton modules that occupy the lot during the fall, flying there is usually out of the question.

Many years ago we had a club in our county (Kings County), the Highway 41 flyers. They since have disbanded, and the nearest club is in the next county over.

We've decided to go all in and give it the ol' college try. We are rallying up all the fliers and RC enthusiasts we know and are forming our club. We have a very promising site for a legit flying site. It's tough around these parts to find the people that enjoy our hobby that are hidden in the woodwork.

We are projecting to be an AMA sanctioned club and flying site. If you are in the area or are interested please contact us.

I think it goes without saying that flying with others is way cooler and having a diverse group of experience is beneficial to all and to our hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2019, 03:47 PM
dcsurfer88,

I spent 28 years in Visalia, and never connected with an active powered model RC club, although I d enjoy local FF club and monthly contests, etc. I even used to fly a bit of CL with small interested group of old timers., there. We spent the last ten years living up in Mendocino County and connected with the local rc club for a while. However, there too, the average ager of the few sparkplugs was "elderly" and soon the interest evaporated. Now, I've returned to the fringes of Central Valley and find the Fresno RC clubs no longer exist or active.

I also am now getting up there in age and find that life tends to keep me pointed in other direction. I still want to build and fly, but I have to be selective in what I do. Travel is not as easy either. Scale is prime interest these days and cultivate interestin R/C, FF, and CL, Last two being primary at thois time due t o local field avaiablity. If no one objects to me flying CL at the local youth park, I will attempt some small gas RC. Also, I live about a mile from a beautiful lake, in the pines, that is begging for some small and quiet scale, here R.O.W. activity.

Hope you don't think I was wanting you to rain on your particular parade. Just wanted you to know that you have my moral support. I would certainly want to hear about any future successes and activities that might come up. Who knows, I might be able to come down HWY 41, once in awhile, just to see other models fly! It's as rare as hens teeth, here. However, just heard the otherday, thru community grape vine that a neighbor is building his', ultimate scale model". I'm fixen to introduce myself...,
Nov 17, 2019, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
Hello Sir, I agree that clubs, in this area, seem to be losing steam. Our hopes are to try and add a little fuel to the fire.

I had a lengthy discussion the other night with a fellow that builds giant scale models from Pasadena. He and I share the same occupation and ironically enough the same hobby. Anyhow he too has been in the hobby for some 30 odd years and he also mentioned the decline in interest. He is also working on a very interesting project that will hopefully help expose what had been around for years now!!

What started as a desire for an adequate place to fly has turned into going full steam ahead with planning what we are calling an RC Park. We want a nice runway, clean pits with tables and stations, you know, what a good airfield have. We have found a very promising spot and the owners are on board. We will be finding out more this coming week.

We'd love to have you come by some time and visit! If you DM me some sort of contact info I will be more than happy to let you know the progress, when we take off (pun intended) and when (Fingers crossed) we have any events.

Thank you for your response!
Nov 19, 2019, 10:16 PM
dc,

met my neighbor as he walking his dog, last evening. His name is Tom and he is working on a Pica Fw 190D. It's long term project but he has hopes of eventually getting to his Platt/Pica T-28. So, a kindred spirit! And so close. Will try to get some pics. BTW, he says there's still a club operation & field off HWY 41 and 13 Ave, I suspect its outside of Clovis. Still learning my way around the area and will sleuth it out, asap.

Quick Reply