Mar 12, 2005, 12:06 AM
Thread OP

YAFFF - Yet ANOTHER Full-fuse Foamy

These seem to be pretty popular these days, so here's my rendition.

Here's the specs:

32" Sobre modified with box fuselage
removable CF landing gear
AXI 2205/54 outrunner
APC 8x3.8 prop
CC micro 10 ESC
GWS 6 ch RX
4- HS-55 servos
Thunder Power 3x480 Lipo

6.9 oz RTF with the TP pack and landing gear on

I wanted to try a few construction ideas and also give airbrushing a shot.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some construction photos and details.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2005, 12:09 AM
Looks Great! How does she fly???
Mar 12, 2005, 12:15 AM
AMA 834319
WOW! You did a awesome job on it! Nice work.. Please post some construction pics and also some pics of her flying!!

NICE JOB!
Mar 12, 2005, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
I have exactly ONE pack through it so far. It seems to want to wing rock a little bit in harriers and has a little bit of coupling in K/E, but is pretty well behaved otherwise. Apparently I guessed the CG right, no trimming required.

Hopefully, it will last long enough to fly it on a calm day outdoors. Easier to trim if you're not turning all the time.

Construction detaiils tomorrow...
Mar 12, 2005, 12:30 AM
Very nice. I like it!
Mar 12, 2005, 12:51 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
Would very much like to see the photos and such. Very nice design, hope it serves you well.
Kirby
Mar 12, 2005, 09:36 AM
why don't you try some clear scotch tape on the belly..... i might help with unwanted quirks because of your formers...... just a thought
Mar 12, 2005, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
DT-

Yeah, I've been wondering if the open bays might cause some flying anomolies. I could just as easily close it in with 2mm foam. Might try that in the areas I don't need access to, maybe that would help the harrier issue.
Mar 12, 2005, 09:59 AM
Thread OP

Construction

Parts were cut from depron sheets. 3mm for the wing and empennage, and 2mm for the fuselage sides. I left all the surfaces attached for painting purposes and cut them free after it was completed.

I was concerned about the strength of the 2mm foam for holding the firewall, so I experimented with some fiberglass drywall tape I had in my shop. It's an adhesive-covered mesh of approximately 1/8" squares, 2" wide. The gooey adhesive on it would creep, so I applied the tape then squeegeed CA over the top. Lighter than any kind of reinforcing tape I could have used. I made a sandwich of the fuse halves with the fin/rudder piece and taped the front end to hold everything in absolute alignment.

From there, you can cut the slots for all the former tabs, stab, wing and firewall by cutting straight through the sandwich. Placement of the two aft bulkheads was determined by the TLAR method.
Mar 12, 2005, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
The bulkhead the supports the landing gear was a little more work. I wanted removable landing gear (my outdoor flying area is a grass field), but didn't want to add too much additional weight to accomodate it.

I don't have a good photo of what I came up with, but essentially, I made a 1/32" plywood bulkhead that extends from the bottom of the fuse to the LE of the wing where it passes through the fuselage. I glued some aluminum tube at the correct angle (approx 1.5" piece), with the exit hole passing through the tab. I added pieces of 3mm foam around the tubes to make a sandwich. The whole thing gets glued into the fuselage, with the top of the tubes just resting on the CF leading edge of wing. I added one more foam bulkhead the sandwiches the other side of the gear and extends up to the base of the canopy.
Mar 12, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
The top of the fuse was sheeted with 2mm depron, cut slightly oversized, glued down, then trimmed and sanded to match the proflle.

CF reinforcing was applied to the LE and TE of the wing iin the traditional shockflyer fashion. I also added a strip of thin CF to the TE of the stab and buried a piece of the 3mm x .8mm in the elevator to stiffen them so they would not require any external bracing.

I made some tiny plywood tabs to join the lift struts to the wing and joined the struts in the center of the fuse through some plywood tabs and connected them with a short piece of shrink tubing, CAed in place.

At this point, I laid everything on top of the plane to get an idea where the CG was going to fall. Worked out that the normal mounting locations were just about right. Aileron servos were glued directly to the wing with hot glue. The elevator and rudder servos were taped together and held inside the hole in the fuse (located so it just clears ailerons) with a couple blobs of hot glue. I made a small doubler to beef up the area where they come through the skin a bit.

ESC was velcroed to the front bulkhead. I had to add a short extenstion to the ESC to make all the wiring come out right. The rx sits at the TE of the wing and the wires and a small piece of depron hold it in place. The battery is held by small velcro strap, which in turn attaches to a piece of velcro glued to the side of the fuse. You can undo the strap and not have to try ripping the whole thing out each time you change the cells.
Mar 12, 2005, 10:27 AM
ProBro
Another fine looking bird there Kat!

Can't wait to hear how well it does on a nice calm day!
Mar 12, 2005, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Those removable landing gear:

The struts are simple CF rods. The GWS wheels are attached to short pieces of wire lashed to the strut with kevlar thread. To keep the struts from rotating, I needed to devise some kind of "anti-torque rods" I ended up with just a simple A-frame design. Each strut has a cross piece lashed to the strut and cut off just short of the other side. I cut out two small pieces of fuel tubing and slid them onto these rods. Once the gear is in place, they are moved across to hold the rods from each side securely together. They gear can't rotate, and it doesn't fall out because of the geometry of the tubes. The gear struts and wheels weigh approximately 5g.
Mar 12, 2005, 10:46 AM
Nice plane!
Could you post plans or is this a kit?

-Daniel
Mar 12, 2005, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Daniel-

Unfortunately, there are no plans available for this at the present time.

Karl

Quick Reply