Nov 14, 2019, 11:23 PM
Warbird crazy!
Thread OP
Help!

Battery cable issue

Hi all,
I am stumped with an issue of battery cable routing on a Beech 18 kit I'm working on. Seems no matter what I try, the cable which will go from the wing center to the nose always pushes or coils in such a way it binds. Trying to avoid making a battery hatch.

I made a battery tray to strap the battery to then slide that into the nose section with the battery connected so the cable needs to be long enough to connect just outside the nose. When the battery is installed, I can't figure out how to 'train' the cable to coil back in. I even tried a badge reel.

Any ideas? A retractable battery cable would be cool.

Thanks!
John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 06:32 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Sounds crazy, but to avoid the coiling could you zip tie something to the leads that has some rigidity? I'm assuming it is a straight shot to where you need to run the leads. I have some Dubro pushrods that are soft and easily bendable, but I don't know if it is a no-no to use something like that.
Nov 15, 2019, 08:14 AM
Crash and Build
some type of bungee/Rubber band that stretches when pulled forward to connect battery, that pulls the cable back when battery inserted?
Nov 15, 2019, 10:22 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you are fitting the battery in the fuselage and the ESCs are out in the nacelles, I hope you read the thread on long battery leads and potential problems.

Nov 15, 2019, 10:56 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Maybe just make a channel that the cable runs through so it can coil or bunch up but not interfere with anything else,,
Nov 15, 2019, 08:58 PM
Warbird crazy!
Thread OP
Thanks all for the ideas and advice!

I'll try these out and double check on the cable length.
Strange with all the things I have figured out that this is giving me a mental block

I've added a couple of shots of the rats nest in the wing center section where the ESC's and other connections will be made. Too much stuff. The battery connector will be from that T to the motors in the center there to the nose section.

John

Quick Reply