Nov 14, 2019, 03:33 PM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
Thread OP
Build Log

BMJR Turnaround 325

I started building this little gem a few days ago. It's a very nice kit. Looks to include everything except covering and electronics. All hardware and even wheels are included. Nice plans and step by step photo instructions. Worked on it about an hour each for the last 3 nights.

First night built the Fin/Rudder
Second the Stab/Elev
Third the Left wing

Ordered a Turnigy 2217 1050kv 23a motor should be around 200watts. I think it'll have plenty of scoot with 3s at 28oz
I'm hoping this will be a fun little park flyer I can fly pattern in close with.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 04:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
im hoping i can fly my bmjr mini duallist in small spaces too once i learn her characteristics. fingers crossed.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:20 PM
All the early flights for the prototype were done on a soccer field. That included plenty of aerobatics. It handles small fields very nicely Ö he says humbly.

Paul Bradley
Nov 15, 2019, 06:22 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I don't know what is, this size always seems to be the one I like the most, not too big, not too small. Interested in how this comes out. Looks like a real nice kit.
Nov 15, 2019, 09:55 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Keeping an eye on this build. I've looked at getting this kit several times.

Mike
Nov 16, 2019, 08:34 AM
What will you use for covering? I haven't kept up with what is out there for iron-on (I will read the appropriate threads eventually).
Nov 16, 2019, 11:26 AM
I just want to go fly!
I’m always impressed with the high quality builds people do with these size planes . I find 60 size much easier to build. Guess I’m not as good with tiny pieces.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
I have plenty of HK film and monocote and trying to build this on the cheap. So I'll use what I have. I know people usually cover these smaller models with a "lite" version. But I think Paul Bradley covered the original with regular white Ultracote. Maybe he'll chime back in. The wing turned out stiffer that I expected. I think it will be fine if I take my time and don't need much shrink.

I plan on covering mine in transparent blue MK with Yellow HK film over the sheeted areas and the leading edges.

Got the wings joined and started the fuse this morning. Pics later..

Paul you did a really good job on this kit. It really is a pleasure to build.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:58 PM
Good information, thanks. The transparent type are really great to show off the bones.
Nov 16, 2019, 05:33 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I have 'planes of that size covered with iron-on film (Oracover and/or HK film...). Basically trainers, but I see no down-side. It might be different if going for competition performance, but for leisure flying, I find these films to be more than adequate.
Just sayin; nice Build.
Nov 16, 2019, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Don't sell yourself short Walt. I've seen your builds. They are beautiful. I'm sure your little Duelist will turn out the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Iím always impressed with the high quality builds people do with these size planes . I find 60 size much easier to build. Guess Iím not as good with tiny pieces.
I was able to get a lot done on her today. All that's left in the framing portion of the build is the cockpit area above the wing. I love the little touches these talented designers put in the new laser cut kits. Look at the little pieces that form a stop so the hatch magnets don't push thru and they even form alignment tabs for the laminated parts of the hatch. Every part has fit perfect with almost no sanding. This is probably the best kit I've ever built, with the CCK UFO a close second. But Paul has left no guesswork for the builder in this little Turnaround.

I'm used to 60 size classic pattern planes. I'm really burning through this glue by numbers kit. And it's straight as an arrow and super light. As it sits there without the cowl, and cockpit the airframe weighs a 7.3 oz.

Cryhavoc, If you are on the fence just order one and put it on the shelf. You will like building it.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:45 PM
Mr-Punk - Sorry for my late reply to your recent posts. I certainly appreciate your kinds remarks about the kit.

I built several prototypes. One was covered with Oracover white with blue trim. The other was covered with silver Coverlite. There was not a lot of weight difference and I could not "feel" any difference in the way the two models flew. I lost the silver prototype due to a prop separating in the air. My fault. I was experimenting with a slow fly prop and pushing it beyond its design limits. It is amazing how fast a model can dive when you lose a prop blade. I did not know what was happening and failed to take proper corrective actions. By the time I throttled back it hit the ground straight in. The post crash analysis showed what happened.

Paul Bradley
Last edited by PaulBrad; Nov 21, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
Nov 20, 2019, 01:20 PM
Darn it Mr-Punk, I really didn't need another plane seeing this thread, yeah I ordered one. Will make a good winter project. Keep up the good work. :
Nov 20, 2019, 01:23 PM
Delete
Nov 24, 2019, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemo99
Darn it Mr-Punk, I really didn't need another plane seeing this thread, yeah I ordered one. Will make a good winter project. Keep up the good work. :
Stemo, you will like this kit. I don't know about a winter build unless you have a short winter. Mine is almost ready for covering. I probably only have 10-15 hours in it.

I took the whole week off from work. I had planned being able to complete it. Well I have a saying, I don't trust an airplane I build unless I bleed. I bled more yesterday than I ever had on a build. I guess I'm really gonna love this Turnaround.. I was fitting the sub fin to the fuse bottom. I had the tail sitting in the slots and all mocked up. I wicked a little CA to mount the subfin. A few seconds later I went to remove the vert fin. Darn it the CA wicked into the fin post and locked it.. So I put a new blade on the exacto and went to free the fin post. I was holding the fuse while applying downward pressure and rocking the knife. It suddenly cut thru and right thru my left thumb.. Pretty bad. I ran inside to my wife who is a Surgical Nurse. She tried everything in her home stash and we couldn't stop the bleeding. So urgent care and 5 stitches later I'll be good to go in a week.

I'll post some pics later today (the build not my thumb) :-) I have the cowl built and rough shaped, the cockpit built up and about 50% of the sanding done. When my thumb stops thobbing I'll try to work on it a bit. The worst part is I can't even fly.. The cut is from the joint thru the pad and almost up to tip and I'm a stick pincher.
Last edited by Mr-Punk; Nov 24, 2019 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply