Nov 14, 2019, 11:35 AM
Petrolhead
Thread OP
Discussion

MR-03 ASF conversion to EVO

I found a local guy who is selling his MR-03 ASF version with full aluminum option parts, however I do not have an ASF controller.
I'm wondering if it'll be possible to port a MR-03EVO board onto the ASF?

I'm guessing I may need to get MZ501 MR-03VE Chassis and MZ602 upper cover set to be able to fit it?

The guy is selling at 200SGD flat for the car and all his spares. Just wondering if I should try the conversion or go for one of the MR-03EVO sets instead.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 11:52 AM
Low budget fun
Yes, it can. You'll need VE chassis and EVO top cover too because the chassis is slightly differnt.
But I doubt if that would worth it because EVO board is quite expensive.

Get an ASF radio board and use it with a transmitter with PPM/DSC output is probably cheaper and better.
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Ky...p-1270917.html

ps. If you have no idea which transmitter can output PPM, find Futaba 3PK/3PKS and Sanwa M11 (the old one) or anything with module. They should still floating around used market.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:59 AM
Petrolhead
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_XT
Yes, it can. You'll need VE chassis and EVO top cover too because the chassis is slightly differnt.
But I doubt if that would worth it because EVO board is quite expensive.

Get an ASF radio board and use it with a transmitter with PPM/DSC output is probably cheaper and better.
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Ky...p-1270917.html

ps. If you have no idea which transmitter can output PPM, find Futaba 3PK/3PKS and Sanwa M11 (the old one) or anything with module. They should still floating around used market.
:O I actually wanted the EVO as I have the Flysky NB4 controller, and was hoping to use it. His MR-03 is fully working so I think if I can find a KT-18 for cheap, it should work. Though I do plan to try out joining PN racing races and from what I heard the ASF protocol isn't stable with larger amounts of people.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:23 PM
I would just save up and order a brand new evo so you don’t have issues & you can pick the controller you want. I hate buying hobby stuff secondhand, most people bash & abuse their “toys” & then turn around to sell them in “like new condition”.

But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 14, 2019, 12:48 PM
Petrolhead
Thread OP
I see, thanks Beaver! Really appreciate your replies!
Nov 14, 2019, 03:32 PM
Low budget fun
Used and abused is pretty common. Also cheap and too good to be true is usually turns out to be not true either.

Inspect the car really well when you buy a used one. Buying sight unseen is risky but if you are willing to take that risk then that's alright.

ps. Years ago I bought a Tamiya DT-02 for only 50 Euros with upgrades and everything included, radio, battery+charger, extra tyres, upgrade bracing, the lot. As it turned out, this car had been on fire at some point and the chassis was cracked.
Nov 14, 2019, 05:20 PM
Oh gosh! Sorry to hear that Beaver, but that’s what I mean. Sadly there are more scammers, then stand up people who tell the truth.

But yeah I would be worried about a cracked chassis, especially with the brittle stuff Kyosho uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 14, 2019, 07:30 PM
Petrolhead
Thread OP
Will definitely inspect throughly before I make any decision, I will be meeting him in person at the track so it should be alright if I'm careful
Dec 03, 2019, 03:46 PM
how far do you want to go? PN sells a car thats fully modded. Kyosho cars cant really compete with kyosho parts, its thee gig and rules.

If you race at PNs races you can find more 1/28 classes. to get a mini Z where you want it for competition will cost around $500. A GL car is a lot cheaper, hobby grade faster & harder to handle.

Quick Reply