Nov 14, 2019, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Build Opinions Wanted on a light 4" Frame

I'm looking at building a 4" performance build. I wanted to focus on very light components to enhance the power to weight ration and focus on speed / agility. I'm having a hard time deciding on the lightest 4" frame. The Racer X Mutant 4" or 4" Pickle Big frame. Are there any other light durable frames on the market?

Components to be used.
FC BetaFPV 20a AIO FC
RC Racer Nano Camera
NamelessRC 400mw Nano VTX
1407 4000kv motors
650 -850 4s GNB

The Pickle is a more of an issue since it's a Thingiverse would need to source the Frame / canopy and hardware all from diffrent vendors. The Twig is a frame Kit.

Any thoughts or op pinons?
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Nov 18, 2019 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 01:57 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
I wonder if these 1407 4000kv motors will run very efficient on 4 inch props. Maybe with relatively low pitch props. But for efficiency, lower kv is often best. If you build it light, it won't need high rpm for really good performance.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 15, 2019, 10:53 PM
BisDak2
I'm in the market for the same build but in the 5" category.

Beta Whoop board 20a (shopping around for the best price)
LDARC 1806.2500KV
Runcam Nano2
HM 25~200mW vtx triangle
Xm+receiver
700mah 80c 4s

Al I need now are the frame and 20a whoop board
Last edited by humayraykinaon; Nov 19, 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 02:38 PM
I know you're all about the huge thrust builds these days but perhaps consider for a lightweight build (especially if you go with the pickle 4in with it's long thin arms) you'll may not want to go with a 1407 motor as the motor will be quite heavy at the end of the arm and more prone to break the arms on even small crashes.

I have a 4in pickle frame coming next week from CNCMadness (6mm arm width, 4mm plate thickness, chamfered) and I'm trying to decide what motors to run myself with crash survival one of my main considerations.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Flywoo NIN 1404 3750Kv, or, since I already own them and they seem like a good fit, these Emax 1306B 4000kv, both options I'd run on 650 4s packs.

I've run that Emax 1306 motor on a heavy 3in build and it did fine, not super impressive but flew for 5:00min on an 850mah 4s, came down cool and performed well enough. I imagine with a lightweight build an a 4in prop they'd be efficient and quite powerful. They're also quite light, around 10.5g with short wires.
Nov 16, 2019, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
I just ordered the mutant 4" frame. Im looking for brutal powah. Not sure where you got efficiency lol this one is all about excessive power. Typically I'll bring 3 or 4 quads and about 10-12 packs. I like to do a little bit of everything. General cruize, then some free style, then some close proximity flying. Stuff like that. For my efficient builds I have some ultralight weight 3" or 2.5" toothpicks for 5-7 minute flight times. Once I'm warmed up I'll switch gears and "throw down lol" Im looking two- three minutes of furious puchouts and brutal acceleration. BUT you do bring up a great point those motors are very inefficient and there very hungry so finding a 4s battery that's not too big and heavy is the challenge. A 650 4s is instant sag. The motors are capable of generating about 700g of thrust so should be exiting times.

The one thing that leaned me to the Mutant frame over a pickle big 4" was the extra motor bracing on the front and rear it should provide better load balance of the heavier motors. To keep the weight down I'll be using the nano Cam and vtx and 20a AIO. The build is really around the motors so keeping everything else as light as possible is key.

There is a guy on FB that's putting 2206's a 5" Big Pickle or David_C frame. I have to say it looks amazing but if it holds up in a crash it would be even more amazing. It looks like a drag car super thin arms and this HUGE motor on the end. The motors are so big the arm extensions offer absolutely 0 protection. Rarcer X is also working on a ultralight weight frame for a 5" it's just a scaled of version of his Twig design.
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Nov 18, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Nov 19, 2019, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
I just ordered the mutant 4" frame. Im looking for brutal powah. Not sure where you got efficiency lol this one is all about excessive power. Typically I'll bring 3 or 4 quads and about 10-12 packs. I like to do a little bit of everything. General cruize, then some free style, then some close proximity flying. Stuff like that. For my efficient builds I have some ultralight weight 3" or 2.5" toothpicks for 5-7 minute flight times. Once I'm warmed up I'll switch gears and "throw down lol" Im looking two- three minutes of furious puchouts and brutal acceleration. BUT you do bring up a great point those motors are very inefficient and there very hungry so finding a 4s battery that's not too big and heavy is the challenge. A 650 4s is instant sag. The motors are capable of generating about 700g of thrust so should be exiting times.

The one thing that leaned me to the Mutant frame over a pickle big 4" was the extra motor bracing on the front and rear it should provide better load balance of the heavier motors. To keep the weight down I'll be using the nano Cam and vtx and 20a AIO. The build is really around the motors so keeping everything else as light as possible is key.

There is a guy on FB that's putting 2206's a 5" Big Pickle or David_C frame. I have to say it looks amazing but if it holds up in a crash it would be even more amazing. It looks like a drag car super thin arms and this HUGE motor on the end. The motors are so big the arm extensions offer absolutely 0 protection. Rarcer X is also working on a ultralight weight frame for a 5" it's just a scaled of version of his Twig design.
Building by 4" PickleBig right now, I do like the look of the 4" Mutant though as well. I am going to start w/ RCX 1306 motors, then try 1404, and finally 1407 (since I have each of those), but if none of them feel perfect I might buy some T-Motor 1507.
Nov 20, 2019, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcSubby
Building by 4" PickleBig right now, I do like the look of the 4" Mutant though as well. I am going to start w/ RCX 1306 motors, then try 1404, and finally 1407 (since I have each of those), but if none of them feel perfect I might buy some T-Motor 1507.
That's a great approach. I'm doing something similar but with the FC. I have a mamba F405 stack 25a 20x20 stack. Since I dont really trust the AIO boards and since it's on the slow boat from China and probably take a weeks to get here. I may try the 1407's on the Mamba stack with some 4" props see how many amps it's going to draw before I swap over to the 20a FC. It's a few extra grams but want to get the current meter working and if I dont like those motors or they draw to much. I have a set of 1306 4000kv motors with throw in. I was also eyeballing some RCinpower 1506's which are pretty cheap and I've had good luck with that might also work. Not sure time will tell. Just have to be methodical in the approach to keep everything in one piece. Last thing I want to see is a puff of magic smoke coming out this new untested 20a FC.
Nov 21, 2019, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Well here she sort of not the finished build I was hopping for but camera and FC and props still on slow boat so this will have to do. Using a mamba mini 20*20 stack with 3" tri blades. I think I may get stuck with using a bi- blade only. These motors draw a lot more amps on Tris that I though.
Nov 21, 2019, 07:24 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Too much kv...

Take a peek at the rotorgeeks 1407s, their lighter, faster, and easily use 4" props on especially the 2800 -3200kv versions. Have used the 3600kv version in a scary fast OG style (read old and heavy) frame running 850-1300mah lipos.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd flyr
Too much kv...

Take a peek at the rotorgeeks 1407s, their lighter, faster, and easily use 4" props on especially the 2800 -3200kv versions. Have used the 3600kv version in a scary fast OG style (read old and heavy) frame running 850-1300mah lipos.
I don't want to buy another set of motors. I'm gonna try and make this work. I bought a couple diffrent 4" bi-blades and a 3.5" triblade. But 4" tri are definitely not in my future -(.
Nov 22, 2019, 09:21 AM
Enjoying every minute of it...
You could try 3S on triblades, that'll lower the amp draw but not throw your eyeballs into their sockets.

Quick Reply