Nov 14, 2019, 04:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI implementing new remote ID, allowing anyone with a cell to track location ofpilot

Beware DJI has a new upcoming update. That will reveal speed, direction , altitude of the drone and here's the kicker the location of the drone pilot to anyone with a cellphone. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD TO BROADCAST THE LOCATION OF THE PILOT TO ANYONE WITH A CELLPHONE. Sorry about the all caps but that part is just... I don't want to get assaulted by some random idiot for flying my drone. And there are criminals who will steal your equipment!! Recently, they grounded all DJI drones used by the gov.. And that is what they are trying to do with consumer drones. It's our property DJI...
https://www.pcmag.com/news/371956/dj...-fi-signals-to
I guess I will just have to use litchy. And never even touch the DJI go app... Can't even use the proper app for my drone. Cause, it will broadcast to random people where I am at. Which means could get robbed assaulted who knows... This is just not OKAY it's already bad enough with out this feature.
Last edited by ell198679; Nov 14, 2019 at 05:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 11:42 AM
This will be another long contentious debate , like the NFZ thread, with all the usual suspects claiming DJI is doing this to keep us safe from ourselves, or because itís mandated and others stating how unsafe this policy is and how DJI is full of crap (Iím in the latter).

It doesnít matter, DJI does whatever they want, after all itís their drone.

Itís interesting how they tell the US government that they are secure, nothing to see here and then they do it again. Whatís the definition of stupid?
Nov 14, 2019, 12:06 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

DJI implementing new remote ID, allowing anyone with a cell to track location ofpilot

Well letís look at the facts.

This is NOT DJI forcing this they are showing you whatís to come.

Both the EU and the FCC are mandating this.

DJI is showing you what will be happening in the next two year as they are required to comply with the law.

The EU directive 2019/945 comes into law from mid 2020 to 2022 and this is already set inlaw, it requires SN, ID, Location, Heading and Pilot location/HP to be transmitted in an open ID that anyone with a standard device can receive.

All of these systems are likely to comply with ASTM International standard for Drone ID that both the FAA, EASA and others are adopting.

By 2022 there will be hundreds of apps that pick this data up as per what the legislation has mandated.

The UK is accepting this as part of the new rules EASA as well.

The FCC have not fully confirmed this yet but published the specification and requirements and is very likely to be law by next year.

People should realise that this is regulation that is happing and not manufactures. This has all been known about for months and many of us has been shouting this will be happing and talking about the concerns however itís too late to get all up in arms.

people just donít follow what going on in the industry and prefer to try and lay blame else where, there have been consultations on this in the UK yet very few got involved. The reality is Itís the foundations for FINS and UTM thst that all governments are heading too in the coming years.

Next year every drone from every manufacture will be required to comply period in the EU and the US wonít be far behind.

Frankly itís amusing to watch everyone running around saying DJI is evil yet yours and my government have pushed this though, but hay letís not let facts get in the way of an opportunity for the same old same to stand up and say I told you so lol.

Last edited by Mad_angler1; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:31 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Hopefully, litchi doesn't have anything that keeps track of the last time the app was updated.
Nov 14, 2019, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ell198679
Hopefully, litchi doesn't have anything that keeps track of the last time the app was updated.

This has nothing to do with the app. All craft will be required to transmit via their built in radio packets of data that give the above info.

The realty is on correct craft this is already happening anyways but itís locked to DJI. New craft moving forward will do the same thing out the factory and itís likely current craft will get an update to also comply however that will be down to you to choose to update I would think.
Latest blog entry: DJI Black Friday Deals
Nov 14, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Okay. I guess people are okay flying a drone worth upwards of 1 k transmitting their location to everyone in the whole neighborhood. I am sure criminals will pick up on it.
Nov 14, 2019, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ell198679
Okay. I guess people are okay flying a drone worth upwards of 1 k transmitting their location to everyone in the whole neighborhood. I am sure criminals will pick up on it.

Most people have phones on the worth upwards of $1k so nothingís changed really.

Yes I do not like the pilot location however this is for safety of running an operation safely and responsibility however as this has been put into law then we will have to just adapt our processes.
Nov 14, 2019, 07:48 PM
Registered Fanatic
So which DJI drones does this affect? Just the recent new models like the Mavic Pro 2 & Mini, or all models?
All Phantoms & Mavics & other models? Even ones that are years old?
Nov 14, 2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicMan
So which DJI drones does this affect? Just the recent new models like the Mavic Pro 2 & Mini, or all models?

All Phantoms & Mavics & other models? Even ones that are years old?

Currently none as the final Drone ID specification has not been finally signed off. Should be by Xmas.

Then when EU regs and FCC regs come on next year almost every drone by every brand.

DJI is simply showing what is going to be required to comply with the law.

I would expect current models to have an update to add this but Iím not expecting it to be mandatory unless the US forces it to be. EU is not.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:05 PM
Freelance Cinematographer
This is an absolutely horrible idea.

And no, DJI isn’t “just complying with the law”.

They’re continuing to impose ridiculous tracking/restrictions far above and beyond what’s required by law, as they already currently do with all their drones. No current law in the US says DJI has to impose NFZ GEO lockdowns in their aircraft. DJI just does it because they can. What started as a slippery slope is now absolutely absurd.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:09 PM
St. Augustine, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell
I couldn't agree more.

DJI is in bed with the FAA. Just Google Search "DJI Lobbying FAA" and you will see a whole page of articles and DJI is in most if not all the articles. To be fair DJI is not alone nor are they the biggest lobbying group. Google and Amazon are spending tens of millions of dollars lobbying the FAA because the big future for these companies is in commercial delivery operations. I fear that at some point in the future the hobby drone segment will be restricted to the point it won't be fun anymore and you might as well fly a full size airplane. If you live in a very rural area it will likely be less restricted but urban areas will be off limits. Enjoy the freedom to fly we have at this point guys & gals because major restrictions are likely coming our way and it probably won't be that far away.
Last edited by SaltLife; Nov 14, 2019 at 10:48 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:58 PM
Thats the police state in full effect....has nothing to do with safety.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Most people have phones on the worth upwards of $1k so nothing’s changed really.

Yes I do not like the pilot location however this is for safety of running an operation safely and responsibility however as this has been put into law then we will have to just adapt our processes.
Having people harassing you while you're flying can result in a crash. Any resulting damage of which becomes your liability. This is absolutely absurd. No way around that. To let anyone with a cell know where the pilot is. PERIOD We've all seen those videos of flat out assaults and destroyed property because people got mad at drone pilots. Perfect example of totalitarianism. All this stuff about having spotters and LOS etc. But some how that's okay..
Last edited by ell198679; Nov 15, 2019 at 02:22 AM.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancresswell

And no, DJI isnít ďjust complying with the lawĒ.

Theyíre continuing to impose ridiculous tracking/restrictions far above and beyond whatís required by law, as they already currently do with all their drones. No current law in the US says DJI has to impose NFZ GEO lockdowns in their aircraft. DJI just does it because they can. What started as a slippery slope is now absolutely absurd.

Not quite correct Ian they do from next year in the EU.

Every craft over 250g from June 2020 for sale across the entire EU that must have

1: A. Open Drone ID thatís transmitting craft SN, operator registration ID, Heading, Speed and Take off point or Pilot location that can be received by a standard mobile device.

2: fitted with Geo fencing

3: Limited to 120m in height

4: built in such as way that limits damage in the event of an accident.

Now there are various weights and categoryís however everything basically over 250g and up-to 20g will require this.

Regards Comercial operation thatís has zero bearing on the above and itís itís required unless you have a permission to operate in the the new specific category but the craft will not be manufactured to this standard as they will basically not be able to sell is.

Sorry but this is happening is law and has been on the cards and proposed for the last 2 years. People have simply let this slip though, in the UK there were additional powers for police proposed such as ability to force on the spot fines, confiscation of equipment and raiding of homes should they believe a drone related crime has been committed. Thank god this has got put back due to the brexit mess.

DJI were ahead of the game with geo however letís not pretend that there has not been massive pressure from gov to put this in place before now and all of this is now being mandated in EU and every single other country will not be far behind including the US.

Sorry Ian but this has all been coming for years due to the fact gov and agencyís are scared of what will one day happen like in Venezuela, what happened at Gatwick and drones dropping drugs is prisons and the potential for terror related crime. Oh and donít forget the Whitehouse lawn thing.
I can not go into some of the things I have been involved with over the last year however I tell you the weight and pressure from law enforcement, politicians and security agencyís is incredible to regulate and limits the use, we are lucky these things have not been banned period.

Then there is the massive scramble now for controlling the airspace for use from the likes of Amazon and Uber ect , they want to slice up the airspace so we will be limited to below 50m and they will get the 50-500 for uas use for big business. Companies such as AirMap and others are falling over them selves to become the UTM provider for these and help controls the skyís, and that control comes at a fee and welcome to pay for access or pay for flight.

The full new EU law for uas is below for for light bedtime reading https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32019R0945

I also have a presentation on this that explains it a little simpler that I use when training and updating business Iíll link but the basics are this is happening regardless if people want it or not.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Nov 15, 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Nov 15, 2019, 08:11 AM
You are a master at conflating unrelated issues and revisionists history.

DJI was not ahead of anyone when it came to GeoFencing. Lots of people used it prior to DJI, the controversy was thier poor implementation of NFZs. There was a lot of discussion about it that Brendan Schulman and AirMap totally ignored. It was obvious that DJI was sucking up to the FAA and that the fallout from the implementation of such a bad policy was going to result in the ban by the DoD and eventually the federal government.

If what Mad says about the rules being implemented in the UK are correct, I really feel for you. In the US the FAA has to follow the NPRM process of rule making. Not perfect, a little slow, but it protects the public from large companies regulating out the competition and providing undue influence on the rule making process. If users continue to turn the rule making process into a popularity contest and donít hold companies accountable then we deserve to have the government confiscate our drones.

Why do you think Uber and Amazon are trying to control the airspace? You donít think itís possible they are simply trying to ensure their place within it? In the US it was Amazon that first took on many of the issues related to commercial UAV operations in the first place. It was DJI and AirMap that started carving up the airspace.

Your right, the control of the airspace is going to come at a fee, you just might be a little confused at those who are trying to extract it. Why do you think itís so important to be able to identify the UAV operator? For safety? Why do you think it was so important to DJI to implement NFZs? They have not been mandated by any government to develop any of this yet they are the company trying to ďcontrolĒ airspace.

Quick Reply