Nov 13, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Coreless hallbach drone motors

I guess the many poles of a drone motor are useful in reducing the iron (yoke) and lighter and THAT'S why they do it.

but who cares about cogging with a drone they don't glide. with a plane at least it would glide better.
Last edited by Hummina; Nov 14, 2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Link won’t show.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
I think I remember the pole being the same diameter as the stator head being ideal. I’m finally modeling hallbach and quasi hallbach arrays today to see what is the ideal ratio of stator tooth head diameter to pole diameter. I’m using a stator with 10mm stator tooth head. With the hallbach it reduces the pole diameter substantially as u need space for sideways magnets.
Stronger smaller poles vs wider n weaker
Nov 21, 2019, 03:09 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I had to do a search to find out what the heck a 'coreless halbach motor' was, weird, (the motor not me )

Google Images search - What is a Coreless halbach motor

I tend to prefer pictures.

Nov 30, 2019, 03:11 PM
Thread OP

Thread I started about hallbach compared w standard NSNS dropped

Been comparing different hallbachs w standard arraignment NSNS magnets using the free motor simulation software Motor Analyst

So far at 30 amps and 3000 rpm with only variable being the different magnet configurations the hallbach kills it on efficiency.

The 50/50 hallbach, w half the poles 5mm and the flux catching sideways magnets 5mm just beats the standard 10mm poles NSNS orientation while increasing the pole size while decreasing sideways magnets ..70/30...80/20... still going but so far 80/20 shows best with 10% better efficiency than the NSNS at the 30amp/3000rpm output

Considering many motors don’t have 100% magnet fill and maybe 75-80%, might be easy to clean out the rotor and glue same magnets back while adding some sideways magnets from off the shelf. There’s so little backiron on all these outrunners so much of the magnetic field is lost and trapping w a hallbach shows to be a big plus. From a 70 to 80% efficient motor with the switch...33.333% better motor.

(Stator is common 12 tooth with 10mm tooth head)
Last edited by Hummina; Dec 01, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply