This thread is privately moderated by aeronaut999, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 13, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Rant

Stupid convenience store policies-- the forced "hello"

So I guess this is a thing now. You walk in the door of a convenience store, and an employee mindlessly calls out "hello" without even looking up. Also maybe at some fast-food restaurants?

So you open the door and there's this wall of sound, tv going, coolers going, and also the "ding dong" of the chime that signifies the door just opened, and somewhere in the back of it all a strained yet barely audible voice is calling out "hello", possibly from someone not even yet even visible to you.

Do you answer back? Surely not. Doesn't that just encourage the practice? (Actually probably not unless management happens to be there. The employees surely aren't doing it of their own free will. They aren't that stupid, to think it is actually appreciated.) Is there any rudeness in just ignoring it? I think not.

To top it all off, this place actually has chain restaurant that serves hot food, and a place to sit down and eat it.

So as I do so, here is my aural experience:

1) Cue sound of loud coolers continually droning away.
2) Cue sound of television blaring away on sports channel
3) Cue sound played at randomly varying intervals, but averaging about once every 10-20 seconds: Ding-dong "hello" Ding-dong "hello" Ding-dong "hello" Ding-dong "hello"

No one ever answers, and most probably don't even notice exactly who is calling (I almost said shouting but that would be a very slight exaggeration) "hello" at them. It's just part of the background noise.

What a jerk thing for management to do, to require this of their employees. Like a puppet on a string.

That's the way to impress the customers-- to show them that you treat your employees like puppets--

As I was sitting here, for about 5 minutes I tried shouting out my own "hello" in answer to every un-answered "hello", just to make the employees feel better, but people started looking at me funny...

Maybe I'll try shouting out "goodbye" instead...
Last edited by aeronaut999; Nov 13, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 07:33 AM
You can't take the sky from me
It is a deterrent against theft. The idea being if you say hello you're saying I see you and know your here. That will make the average Joe not be tempted to shoplift. They know it won't stop the real shoplifters, just the opportunistic ones.
Nov 14, 2019, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
It is a deterrent against theft. The idea being if you say hello you're saying I see you and know your here. That will make the average Joe not be tempted to shoplift. They know it won't stop the real shoplifters, just the opportunistic ones.
Makes sense in those cases where the employee really is out of sight and no other employee is visible. I.e. when the store is empty.

When there's literally no human being visible at all because the lone employee is in the back or in the bathroom or whatever, I'll often call "hello" myself just so they don't think I'm trying to be sneaky and take advantage of the empty store.

However in this case yesterday people were coming in and out of the door very often and the place was full of people and at least 3 or 4 employees were visible at all times. The reason the person coming in the door wouldn't know who was yelling "hello" at them was because the place was so crowded and busy, not because there was not a soul in sight. I wonder how the multiple employees present figured out which one had the pleasure of constantly yelling "hello!" as people constantly came and went through the door.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Nov 14, 2019 at 08:57 AM.
Nov 14, 2019, 01:33 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
One thing about society,, if you're looking for something to be unhappy about,, it's all around,, or you can look for things to make you happy,,, like a stranger saying hello,, it's all depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Welcome To Moe's!!

lol
Nov 14, 2019, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
One thing about society,, if you're looking for something to be unhappy about,, it's all around,, or you can look for things to make you happy,,, like a stranger saying hello,, it's all depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Welcome To Moe's!!

lol
I didn't feel personally offended, I just felt sorry for the poor employee whose puppet-strings got jerked every 10 seconds every time someone walked in the door so she had to constantly had to keep yelling out "hello" over the din of the store to people who didn't particularly appreciate it (and never answered back or even acknowledged her existence) because they all knew (if they even heard her over the noise) that she was being forced to follow a stupid policy set by management. You know, like one of those porcelain cats you see in Chinese restaurants that keeps moving its paws repetitively like a robot to wave at everyone. That's all!
Nov 16, 2019, 04:46 PM
2.1.9 Forever
On the subject of cold, pointless, impersonal greetings, on my birthday I got a robocall from my doctor's office wishing me a "happy birthday." I'm still wondering "what were they thinking?"

It's a case of data creep. Personal data is collected for a legitimate reason, then someone thinks "now what can I do with this data?"
Nov 18, 2019, 09:13 PM
AeroDan
I’m usually so concerned with I have on a shopping list (to keep my wife from sending me back), I wouldn’t notice what the store employee said or didn’t say to me. But, this does make sense.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
OK, enough of this boring topic, on to something else....

Quick Reply