This thread is privately moderated by David Forbes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 11, 2020, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Actually this year the design didn’t work well on a collared shirt so they will be t-shirts this year.

On an unrelated note, there is some debate on if we should run a Medicare class this year. I’d like all you old git’s to chime in on this. Yes or no, should we all just be experts or fly against each other in round D?

Dave
Last edited by David Forbes; Jan 11, 2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of “old gits “
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 08:00 PM
Hi Dave. As an aforementioned old guy, I am only interested in flying a Medicare class if it doesn't involve flying against the same 3 or 4 other old guys every round. Even at our small club contests I get to fly against 8 or 9 other old guys. Perhaps you could score it like they do at the LeMans auto race. Four different classes all racing at the same time but each different class of car is scored by their finish relative to the other cars in their class.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:11 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwait
Hi Dave. As an aforementioned old guy, I am only interested in flying a Medicare class if it doesn't involve flying against the same 3 or 4 other old guys every round. Even at our small club contests I get to fly against 8 or 9 other old guys. Perhaps you could score it like they do at the LeMans auto race. Four different classes all racing at the same time but each different class of car is scored by their finish relative to the other cars in their class.
I think we can score it that way. Do you mean to normalize the Medicare pilots against the top Medicare pilot instead of the top pilot overall in a given group?
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 11, 2020, 08:17 PM
Us old guys canít compete with the experts but I suggest just mix them in the expert groups and award the highest old scorer. It evens out over a contest.
Just my thoughts

D
Jan 11, 2020, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
I think we can score it that way. Do you mean to normalize the Medicare pilots against the top Medicare pilot instead of the top pilot overall in a given group?
At Tangerine man on man, the pilot classes are mixed in, so you are normalized against the pilots in your flight group, at the end of the contest trophies are awarded based on your overall score and declared pilots class.
Raed
Jan 11, 2020, 09:36 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5
At Tangerine man on man, the pilot classes are mixed in, so you are normalized against the pilots in your flight group, at the end of the contest trophies are awarded based on your overall score and declared pilots class.
Raed
Yes, I am aware of that. That's what DLG does generally as well.
But I've always thought that normalizing against the top pilot in your class within your group was a better way to score it.
If you were using raw scores it wouldn't matter, but with normalizing things can get muddy. In a really tough round a couple of guys in a lower class can get creamed by a top class pilot so the two lower class pilots get a very low score. Similar pilots in an easy round will get much higher scores. So in that case of the tough round, if you normalized against the top pilot in that lower class, the top lower class pilot would get 1000, just like he would in group that was composed of only the lower class.
It all depends on how you want to be scored, either compared to the top class pilots, or compared to the pilots in your own class. I tend to thing that the whole point of flying in a lower class is to see how you are flying against your peers in your class. If however you just want to know the ranking of the lower class pilots in the overall mix then the traditional way works except when the conditions are tough, then often a better pilot will score more poorly due to the luck of the draw. The advantage to flying the classes together in a group is that the conditions are identical for all in that group.
I'll score it however people want to do it so I'll let them express a preference. I'm just pointing out the side effects of the different ways to do it.
To summarize, there are a couple of choices:
1) A group of all medicare class, the ranking among them is very good, but no way to tell how you did against the experts.
2) Mix them in with the experts and normalize them against the experts. Comparison against the experts is easy, but the ranking across the class may be not quite representative due to conditions.
3) Mix them in with the experts but normalize against the top medicare pilot in the round. A little harder to tell how you did against the experts because you have to look at raw scores, ranking among the medicare group is probably representative. (Potential risk : only 1 medicare pilot in the group, automatic 1000).
--mickey
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 11, 2020, 10:14 PM
Ivo Plachy
As one of the medicare pilots I would go with option 2.
Ivo
Jan 12, 2020, 12:02 AM
My initial suggestion was your option 2. Easiest to score and over several rounds it all pretty much averages out. If 10th place overall is the highest scoring Medicare pilot, he finishes first in class. Let's face it, most guys over 65 flying DLG contests are doing it for the fun of it.
Last edited by rwait; Jan 12, 2020 at 12:09 AM.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:54 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Heck, I decided to just do it this year. It's only a 15 min. longer drive from my house than Punkin Chunk... I really wish that this country were a little bit smaller

Jesper
Jan 12, 2020, 05:08 PM
Ivo Plachy
With only three medicare pilots the possibility of having only one in a group is high. That would result in automatic 1000 score if option 3 is used. That would skew the results more than option 2. 🤨😊
Jan 12, 2020, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
I guess this sort of boils down to how many old gits we’re gonna have. Get yer registration in and we’ll see what we have.
Dave
Jan 12, 2020, 07:24 PM
Iím in. Just mix us with experts. #2.

Don
Jan 12, 2020, 09:32 PM
Had a knee replacement the 2nd of December and I feel I'll be up to flying in the Medicare class by the contest date. Like Don C, I'm for #2 option.

Tom
Jan 13, 2020, 01:58 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Entry fee? Perhaps I missed it.
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 13, 2020, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
Entry fee is $100, includes shirt, dinner on the field Friday and Saturday, lunch Saturday and Sunday and snacks. We’re known for feeding people well.

Dave

Quick Reply