New! EXTREME FLIGHT 70 inch EXTRA 300EXP V2!

The fine folks at Extreme Flight have a new bird that is ready to ship!!

Splash

EXTRA 300EXP V2

I am very happy to announce that the brand new EXTREME FLIGHT 70" Extra 300EXP V2 airframes have arrived and are ready to ship! In our continued attempt to offer airframes for every budget and transportation situation, the 30cc class airframes fill an important niche, offering big plane performance at a reasonable price while remaining easy to transport. The original V1 version was an amazing flying aircraft and much loved by our customers due to its great flying characteristics and quality construction. We felt it was time to update this classic airframe and bring it up to the standards of our current models. As such it received the composite laminated construction upgrade and was changed to a single elevator servo, reducing weight and adding strength and rigidity.

The Extra is the lightest of our 30cc class models and is a ballistic missile on the Xpwr 30v2. Two quality high C rated 6S 3300-3700 mah batteries are ideal. Of course a 30-35cc gas engine is going to be crazy power! EF employee Zach Havener is currently mounting a DLE 20 on one of these and I believe that this is going to be a great combo as well. I'll report back once he gets it flying.

The 70" Extra V2 is available in our two most popular Ultracote color schemes and includes a pro-quality hardware package with genuine Dubro ball links and a complete decal sheet. It includes carbon fiber main gear and tailwheel assembly, carbon wing tube and carbon fiber spars and fuselage longerons. If you are looking for an easy and fast assembling model that is easy to transport and capable of the full range of 3D/XA/Precision maneuvers you owe it to yourself to check out the new Extra 300EXP V2!

Links

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Nov 15, 2019 at 10:57 AM..
Nov 13, 2019, 02:17 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
deleted my original message. As I was having a UK winge....

Plane looks great Chris as always. Another winner.
Nov 13, 2019, 02:33 PM
100% electric since 1990
I have a feeling that a bunch of people are going to cram some larger 6s motors into this plane, kind of like the original 70" slick. An all up weight of 9.5 lbs and 1000 square inches puts it into 6s 3d flying range.

Of course a good 8s, 10s, or as directed, 12s system will give more power and longer flights.
Nov 13, 2019, 03:34 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
That's where my thoughts took me too. Super mini servos and simple 6s. Would be a floaty thing, that's for sure
Nov 13, 2019, 05:17 PM
out to have fun
Got to see one of these a couple weeks ago its going to be a fun plane.
Nov 13, 2019, 05:19 PM
I am not a robot
Now I'm really torn. I have one of each color ( 60 in Yellow and 78 in orange) and love them both. I'm going to have to think on this one long and hard. Either that or sell one of the two and then get the same color in a 70.
Nov 13, 2019, 06:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
12S 30CC is going to be a ton of power considering that motor is also used in some of the 74" planes!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Nov 13, 2019, 07:02 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Awesome plane, I seen a post about it last week and have been super excited, I never been a extra 300 fan but a nice club member let me fly his 60" version of this plane and it flew AWESOME...
now what servos would you guys use? I would like to go Savox I think. i have MKS there super nice but worried about the gear wear in the long term use. this plane would be a throw around plane for me. as im to nervous to 3d my bigger ones.
i'm thinking the DLE 20 would fly it well. I had the 30CC Electric motor in a heavy 13.5 pound 74" edge and it pulled it like it was nothing in this 10.5 would be un real..
Nov 13, 2019, 07:38 PM
I am not a robot
I think we can all agree that this is one of the prettiest planes to come from Extreme Flight in quite a while, and they are known for producing beautiful planes. I've pretty much gone all electric with the exception of my 76" MXS gasser. Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I really light version with something like the 20cc DLE might be just the ticket, but the thought of that same airframe with silly power in the form of the 30cc Xpwr, is very tempting. The only thing is I don't have many 3700mah batteries, and I'm really loaded up with larger 4500mah and up batteries. I can hardly wait to see how well Zach's Extra flies. I do hope he posts some video....please.

BTW, the Extra doesn't come with tips, so when it says 70", I'll bet it's actually pretty darn close to the same wing span as the 75" Edge and 74" Slick without tips. The fuse is however listed at 1.5" shorter for the 70" Extra.
Nov 13, 2019, 08:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Yes, I really like the 'High Vis' scheme!! It might actually make me want to buy an Extra, but I really don't need another plane as I don't really have room for another one.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Nov 13, 2019, 08:50 PM
trying hard to get a shipping quote on 2 planes to Canada. Anybody at EF suggest whether we should be calling for info or ? Website says no shipping option on these planes to Canada...sigh

Daryll
Nov 13, 2019, 08:52 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
looked at Servos on NWRC and seems like the Savox SA-1256TG its rated for 30cc planes. at 277 oz tq.
and only 52.4G guess that is plenty for this size plane, not crazy being Titanium gears however. anything else good in this size planes range?

found a savox SC-0251MG rated for 222 oz .18 speed for $40 somewhere else anyone tried these?
also looked at Promodel seem like have to go with the DS305 to get 235 oz. at 0.10 speed faster then the others but i don't think i could notice a difference in 0.10 or 0.20

I would be running at 6v with A123 rx packs, I guess to save weight i could just do 2 packs and a Ibec. just planing for what next plane i really want to go with. I think i want something new.
Last edited by epoweredrc; Nov 13, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD av8r
trying hard to get a shipping quote on 2 planes to Canada. Anybody at EF suggest whether we should be calling for info or ? Website says no shipping option on these planes to Canada...sigh

Daryll
We are happy to ship to Canada, but due to the complexity of shipping we ask that you call to place an order. Melissa will research and find the most cost effective way to ship to you. 770-887-1794.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:24 PM
Thanks, I figured I better just call as there are far less options for parcels here vs the US. I will make the call this week.

Looking forward to a new build

Daryll
Nov 14, 2019, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I have a feeling that a bunch of people are going to cram some larger 6s motors into this plane, kind of like the original 70" slick. An all up weight of 9.5 lbs and 1000 square inches puts it into 6s 3d flying range.
We don't want to get caught up in the "more voltage means longer flights" thinking because it's not really the case. It's more about power loading and flight time.

An average battery today weighs 0.0265 grams per cell per mAh. 3000W on 22.2v is 135.14A and 3000W on 44.4v is 67.57A, and flight time is all about Amps per Amp Hour.

67.57A divided by 3.3Ah is 20.48C so to get the same 3000W of power and the same 6 minutes of flight time from 6S at 135A, you need 6600mAh. Both packs will weight the same and have the same C discharge rating.

12S *3300mAh*0.0265 = 1049g
6S *6600mAh*0.0265 = 1049g

Now if you put a 6S 5000mAh battery in there instead, you will save 9 ounces in battery weight but you will loose a significant amount of flight time. So the same power at the same flight time means the same pack weight.

But if you do drop to a 6S 5000mAh and drop a 10.5 lb plane to 9.94 lbs, then the power loading goes from a 286 W/lb to 302 W/lb. But the flight time goes down from 6.1 minutes to 4.6 minutes.

So you have to decide if you want to fly a plane at 286 W/lb for 6 minutes at 20C discharge that's easier on the batteries, or a plane at 301 W/lb for 4.6 minutes with a more stressful 27C discharge rate that can reduce the lifespan of the battery.

Of course, the 12S guy can always drop to 2x 6S 2500mAh to match the 9.94 lb weight and 4.6 minute flight time too.

Quick Reply