Nov 13, 2019, 08:35 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Throttle function in angle mode

Hi all,
I'm a beginner in fpv. Not much interest for now in racing, only freestyle. I built a 5" and it works fine for now, even if it is not tuned properly. I was able to fly it above the ground few times and crashed it lightly almost as many times as the takeoff. This will happen some more times until I will properly tune it and until I will learn how to fly it better. I have some decent skills in simulators (DRL), but of course, real life is harder.
What I want to do is to set a proper failsafe mode and I don't know how, here I need some help.
I configured a 3 way switch from the remote control to change flight mode. One position is angle mode, other is horizon and third is acro. I want that immediately after 'oh..well...' moment to hit the switch into angle mode, and the drone should regain horizontal position and to freeze where it is. Of course, considering the inertia, it cannot instantly freeze if it moves with 50km/h. But I have a problem with the throttle, the function remains the same throughout all modes, even if I switch to angle mode, I still have to control the throttle to prevent crashing, instead of putting it to middle and expect the drone to hold altitude (like in DJI drones for example). Is there a way to do this in betaflight? Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2019, 08:54 AM
Angle mode will only get the quad upright. There is no altitude control. That is up to you with the throttle. My advice is that you just learn to fly in acro and disarm immediately when you crash. Angle mode is not really that useful for recovering. I left angle mode set up on my mode switch just in case I lose video but I have never used it for that.
Nov 13, 2019, 08:57 AM
Umm.. you're talking alttitude hold and position hold, which has nothing to do with angle mode. Angle mode is simply auto level. You always have to manage the throttle when you're the pilot. You have to pilot, when you're the pilot. These are not DJI drones. The flight controller is vastly different. You're always in control.

DRL isn't very good as a simulator. Same goes for most of them. FreeRider is pretty good, and I like LiftOff.

Tune wise, don't get stuck on that. Stock PIDS are good enough for 99% of us. If you're having an issue, it's your build more likely than the PIDS. Make sure you don't have anything loose. Run a recent Betaflight. Run multishot or dshot600 +. Run a 4k/4k loop. For most builds, that will be smooth as butter, to all but the best pilots.

Don't forget airmode, especially for acro mode flying and freestyle. Don't expect Angle mode to save you from a crash. It can level the drone for you, but if you're too close to the ground or an object, you're crashing no matter what.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
My FC is kakute f7 aio and esc's are tekko32. By tuning I am thinking mostly to find good rates for my skill level. PIDs are defaults from board.
I do not expect angle mode to save me from every bad situation, but at least from some of them.
Thanks for advice.
Last edited by pisoiu; Nov 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:49 AM
Stock PID's should be fine on almost any 5 inch build. The thing you need to do is dial the rates to your liking. Here are the rates I have been using for two years:

set roll_expo = 35
set pitch_expo = 35
set yaw_expo = 6
set roll_srate = 77
set pitch_srate = 77
set yaw_srate = 65
set roll_rc_rate = 100
set pitch_rc_rate = 100
set yaw_rc_rate = 100

You can also experiment with throttle expo to make the throttle less sensitive around hover. You also should adjust things to get hover throttle near mid stick.
Nov 13, 2019, 01:36 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Learning acro and throttle control just takes stick time.
Fly slower and in control. Yeah its not as fun, but the more airtime you get now, instead of retrieving and repairing, the faster the stick memory will come to you.
There is the new acro trainer mode if you want to try that. Ive never played with it though.
Nov 13, 2019, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
You can also experiment with throttle expo to make the throttle less sensitive around hover. You also should adjust things to get hover throttle near mid stick.
That was one of the primary problems I had, throttle was too sensitive, hovering was in the lower region of the stick.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisoiu
That was one of the primary problems I had, throttle was too sensitive, hovering was in the lower region of the stick.
You want to get your hover throttle to mid stick and get the sensitivity down in that range as well. Betaflight lets you do that. Experiment with those settings until you get a reasonable throttle response near hover and then it's all about stick time.
Nov 13, 2019, 10:43 PM
just be aware, its easy to overdo throttle curves at first, and end up with really mushy throttle.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, stick time will be.
Nov 17, 2019, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
Today I had some stick time and I lost the drone 2 times out of 2 takeoffs. I definitely need to practice more. It happened the thing I was afraid will happen.
I cannot practice around structures where I can break something or hurt someone with my inability to precisely control the drone. I have in my area a very big open field where I can practice. The pro is that is big. The con is that it has no usable visual references, is all grass and green. Here is the beginning of my problems, after I takeoff and put my glasses, it's impossible for me to tell if the drone is 2m or 20m above the ground. Both times when I lost it, I was unable to see visual references on goggles to head back home, after taking off was unable to visually see the drone and even if I switched it into angle mode, I was unable to tell if I ascend, descend or hold altitude. So I had to drop it, because above 200 meters above me is a landing zone for aircrafts and I cannot risk to send the drone anywhere near.
Nov 17, 2019, 12:50 PM
You need a Spotter - or better an experienced pilot to "ride along" with goggles and coach you. It takes practice to learn how to orient yourself. Learn to use landmarks in the distance - and the sun to help with that. When I fly in the desert with very few landmarks, I put down a white towel in front of me to help me find where I am.
Nov 17, 2019, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Unfortunately no spotter or pilot are available.
I realized one mistake I did by not activating altitude and vario on OSD. I did not realized how important they are without a visual reference. At least until I learn.
Last edited by pisoiu; Nov 17, 2019 at 05:51 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 06:54 PM
fly your craft LOS but leave the FPV feed recording. then go back and watch the footage like an athlete in training would. that way you can get a sense of what it actually looks like to fly at certain elevations.
also try flying when you can see your quads shadow on teh ground, then its pretty easy to get a feel for it.

I dont find any of the OSD telemetry stuff to be helpful. altitude is a feel thing

$30 toy quad with a $15 AIO. other than a decent remote control, there's no fancy schmancy fancy anything.
Last edited by xanuser; Nov 17, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Nov 18, 2019, 09:04 AM
Learn to judge altitude by watching things like the ground and objects. Do not try to use OSD to judge altitude. You really should have a spotter! A simulator is a good way to develop flying skills too.

Quick Reply