Nov 18, 2019, 01:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
I have been fallowing the Mirage project..Nice work BTW
Most of the older kits work well on 90mm. keep them light and 5min should be no problem.
I try to get 5 to 6 if possible with mixed throttle..but battery weight can be a problem as always
Latest blog entry: In flight
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2019, 11:16 PM
Theuns
Thread OP
Yup, that is the one big concern with having to use 12 cells in the Sabre and F-9F, Even with splitting them into say 3 by 4 cell or 4 by 3 cell packs the weight is still arround 1.6 kg for lipo only.

That is why I originally asked about an 8 cell setup but from the replies it does seem that anything under 12 cells on a high performance 90 is not really woth the effort....if I understood it right.

I will have to save the extra weight of the bigger lipo on the airframe somewhere to help make up for the higher wing loading, but atleast these older planes had large wings compared to more modern stuff.

My "real work" contracts end this week so I will be able to get stuck into the Mirage full time from Thursday I hope, the plan is to fly and tweak it by mid December so I can start production bu early Jan next year.
I already have the one elevon cut free and the hinging sorted out to work well so I am very close to starting to paint , my "gooddies" in the form of a 105 JP fan, retracts with brakes and new servos should arrive this week :-)

Thanx for all the input guys, I do appreciate it.

Theuns
Nov 19, 2019, 12:34 PM
Pro Hoarder
There is many factors to look at. I Start with expected ready to fly weight then factor in watts per pound to fly how I want..Most of the old DF jets will need a min of 3000 watts to fly nice..More is better. Then look at amp draw and est flight time by battery size and cell count. You could fly say a JHH F86 on 8 cells no problem but you need to keep the weight close to 9 or 10 lbs which is not easy..If you end up near 12 pounds you will need 10 or 12s or the flight time gets very short..If you end up at 14 lbs or more 12cells is pretty much the only way to go
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply