Nov 13, 2019, 10:49 PM
flyin' fool
Thanks Paul. Good advice since the FT version doesn't give the proper setup.

The Smart Dart is also a great choice, for the new guys and old timers too. Can be flown from mild to wild with similar flight qualities of the NutBall.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Smart-Dart-XS
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2019, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
The Smart Dart is also a great choice, for the new guys and old timers too. Can be flown from mild to wild
Absolutely wild IF you want it, otherwise it is gentle (genteel ?).

I recommend adding a bit of nose length so the battery can be mounted further back on the CoG.
Nov 14, 2019, 06:52 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
And following the new trend of Larger indoor models , a 150% Dart MS made of the same thickness foam makes for a very SLOW Floaty flier … VERY SLOW …. I flew it and compared it to a shopping trolley … hahahaha
The larger size helps you get out of “scale effect” , and it’s easier to see… Built as light as you can and with a small lipo it will fly like a blimp … If you want really slow use a gear drive motor and a LARGE low pitch prop … which acts like a speed governor … We were turning a 12X3 GWS slow fly prop on a J250 motor with a GWS gearbox …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 14, 2019, 11:34 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
And following the new trend of Larger indoor models , a 150% Dart MS made of the same thickness foam makes for a very SLOW Floaty flier … VERY SLOW …. I flew it and compared it to a shopping trolley … hahahaha
The larger size helps you get out of “scale effect” , and it’s easier to see… Built as light as you can and with a small lipo it will fly like a blimp … If you want really slow use a gear drive motor and a LARGE low pitch prop … which acts like a speed governor … We were turning a 12X3 GWS slow fly prop on a J250 motor with a GWS gearbox …
How's this for large and slow indoors : 19 foot wingspan delta kite with a thrust vectoring unit , moves the motor/prop left/right & up/down .

RC Vector Kite 42 * Extreme Slowflyer * 19' Vectorkite Indoor (2 min 5 sec)
Nov 14, 2019, 05:35 PM
gpw
gpw
BorC, Yeah , that’s so COOL eh !!!
Nov 14, 2019, 08:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
BorC, Yeah , that’s so COOL eh !!!
Size doesn't matter ..... but slowness does !
Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I'm quite partial to the Horizon 1S fleet, though their 2S micros like the Waco and Mustang are flyable in very little space with a little higher piloting stress. The 1S Sport Cub S with a higher performance motor is quite acrobatic and can hover (poorly) on the prop. I don't have a video of one of them, but here's a Horizon 24" span 1S B-17 flying in the space of a single basketball court... though in the interests of fair disclosure this was the one and only time for the B-17.

Tom flies his B-17 (1 min 27 sec)
Nov 14, 2019, 11:51 PM
flyin' fool
The advantage of the NutBall and Smart Dart is you can actually 'put the brakes on' if trouble arises, as in .........… stopping forward flight in an instant.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:22 AM
gpw
gpw
OK, if you want in your face aerobatics at slow speed you gotta try Genebond's 4S Bipe …I made mine from the thinner 1/8” depron and it was very Light and Floaty Very agile too , I could fly maneuvers 5 feet away …
Nov 15, 2019, 07:29 AM
gpw
gpw
We even made one from EPP ...
Nov 15, 2019, 01:10 PM
flyin' fool
Once you've got the gear, you can build an indoor flying foamy for a pittance, like less than two dollars.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Once you've got the gear, you can build an indoor flying foamy for a pittance, like less than two dollars.
I made a micro foamy a few days ago out of styrofoam plates from the Dollar Tree store , 30 plates for a dollar . It appears to be about 2mm thick .
Nov 15, 2019, 04:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Suggestions for an indoor flier

Have you looked in the --- Indoor Pattern/F3P forum

A 'Sticky Thread' at the top has loads of plans.

Nov 16, 2019, 06:46 AM
A 60% Sowly (Slowly) makes a nice slow floaty indoor machine. Flies on a 2S 350mA battery for about 15 minutes.

Thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...and-Lake-Build

BMAC Indoor Flying (1 min 28 sec)
Last edited by CaseySP; Nov 16, 2019 at 07:02 AM.
Nov 17, 2019, 07:41 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Hi

the white bird from Japan .. is one graceful flier ...

White bird 20120219 SSFC (2 min 29 sec)

Good luck

Quick Reply